Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you stock up on sale items? Or buy as needed/it runs out?
Previous  1  2

Do you stock up on sale items?
Yes  
 75%  [ 76 ]
No, I buy only when I need it/when I run out  
 24%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 101

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 8:38 pm
Yes and no.
Certain things with long expiration dates or non perishable (toilet paper, toothpaste) I stock up on. We will use it and we can't exactly use more because it is there.
Snacks are hard because my kids eat more. Or suddenly "hate it". But I do hide some in the top of the pantry where they can't find it.
I also live in a small apartment so can't stock up too much. I prioritize what is a "really good deal". For instance- I have been a couponer for a long time. So if I can get toothpaste for free I will. Takes almost no space to store and saves me $6 each. I used to stock up more prior to having kids and IYH if/when I can afford a bigger place my dream is a whole shelving unit in my (currently non existent) garage for cheap toilet paper, detergent, and toothpaste.
For now I buy less when cheap/on sale.

It's a mentality. Why spend more for the exact same thing?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 4:29 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
Yeah when you live in 450sq ft with 3 kids… every inch is maximized and utilized without any space left for stock. I do stock up on cans and flour when they’re on sale but not a ton.
Surprised

Busybee5

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 5:09 pm
No because I don't have loads of money or space to fill my house up with extra stuff. We have a big house, I just hate clutter, and mess and no space in cupboards for a lot of extras.
I'm anyway going at least once a week to the supermarket for fruit and veg, which is about a 5 minute drive (or less depending on traffic lights!)
I have my own car, so I go when needed, after work or in the evening when dh is home. I still try to buy things on sale if I can but I can't stress over it. I'm too busy, and as we all know time is money too.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 11:35 pm
Depends on what it is. I discovered that a bottle of shampoo lasts me 6-8 months, so there's no reason to go crazy and buy three bottles at once. After Chanuka I avoid stocking up on chometzdik food unless I know for a fact it'll be used up, because I have to free up kitchen space for Pesach. I can't stock up much on anything perishable because all I have is the freezer compartment of the fridge, not a standalone freezer.

But tissues and toilet paper... of course.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 11:45 pm
I find we are more wasteful when we stock up. If we only have a specific amount we are more careful with that item. Example: plastic cups , paper goods , aluminum pans
So even though it’s more convenient , I try to prevent doing it.

ittsamother

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 11:53 pm
Personally whether I have 1 container of something or 5, I'm just as careful with how I use it, so I'm ok with stocking up on sale stuff and putting it all away in my garage and that way it's there when I need it. I do have that problem of assuming I still have more of something stocked away and then finding out too late that I already used the last one. Anyone have any good ideas about how to keep track of that? Whenever I get something from the garage I try to check if it's the last one but I'm not always the one to go get it, or sometimes I'm in a rush or I forget.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 1:43 am
ittsamother wrote:
Personally whether I have 1 container of something or 5, I'm just as careful with how I use it, so I'm ok with stocking up on sale stuff and putting it all away in my garage and that way it's there when I need it. I do have that problem of assuming I still have more of something stocked away and then finding out too late that I already used the last one. Anyone have any good ideas about how to keep track of that? Whenever I get something from the garage I try to check if it's the last one but I'm not always the one to go get it, or sometimes I'm in a rush or I forget.
Keeping track requires either keeping a list or a manager who checks inventory once in a while.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 1:46 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Depends on what it is. I discovered that a bottle of shampoo lasts me 6-8 months, so there's no reason to go crazy and buy three bottles at once. After Chanuka I avoid stocking up on chometzdik food unless I know for a fact it'll be used up, because I have to free up kitchen space for Pesach. I can't stock up much on anything perishable because all I have is the freezer compartment of the fridge, not a standalone freezer.

But tissues and toilet paper... of course.

Same here, start to check out what chametz items I have around Chanukka

silverlining3

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 2:45 am
I don't have space for overstock.

That said, for often used items I always have a spare in stock, sale or not. Ie, mayonnaise, bread crumbs, plastic plates, etc. When I take down the spare one to use, I write it down on my next grocery list.

More expensive items I use that don't often go on great sales, coffee comes to mind, I will buy on sale even I have 1 in stock.

Toilet paper, tissues etc, having 'in stock' certain amount, depends on family size, I don't consider stocking. You can't know who will get a stomach bug or cold to know how many tissues and toilet paper to buy.

Water seltzer grape juice I do buy by case. Water is casES
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics