Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do I charge to drive a carpool?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:02 am
amother Yellow wrote:
Sometime but not usually. In Baltimore, everyone carpools. I am neither a teacher or student, but as I drive my son home every day (I’ve been burned with carpools so I do this), I take paying kids also. Tons of people do the same.

To those who are not in Baltimore, if you don’t live in Baltimore you wouldn’t get it.

I do get it- also from and living in a carpooling town. I also get that if your son is sick for a week, depending on your set up, you may need to figure out what happens with the paying kids for that week. Or you get sick and you can easily get your one kid a ride home but not the others. And depending on the kids you are taking, there may be fighting in the car, or a kid who never hears his name called and is always late coming out, or a mother who routinely forgets to tell you when her kid didn't end up foing in that day.

For some people, their lives and temperament are flexible enough that this isn't that big a stress for them. For others it's different. And OP wouldn't be a paid driver like you- she would have to navigate the carpool, including driving for families who are not paying her.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:05 am
amother OP wrote:
It's probably going to be four days each week, the whole thing shouldn't take more than about 35 mins at most hopefully. It’s only three (hopefully well-behaved) middle school girls, who all live close to each other. The way I see it, she's paying for my commitment whatever the weather, planning my appointments around it, I will be taking my three little kiddies along with me for the ride even if they are tired, cranky or just not in the mood. And the cost of gas and wear and tear on my vehicle, in addition to my time of course. She wants to pay me $15 a time. I was thinking more along the lines of $30.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
I just realized that you don’t even have a kid in this carpool. Do not do this. It makes no sense at all. If you want to earn some extra money there are way easier ways that don’t involve shlepping out three little kids each day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:17 am
wow thanks so much for all these responses, I really appreciate so many of you weighing in.
Really food for thought. My friend is very stuck, maybe I will try it on a trial basis for the first month until yomtov and see how it goes. I think I'm going to ask her for $20 or $25 a day. Thank you all !

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:21 am
Can I offer a crazy idea if you want to do this? Can you find someone to watch your kids at this time and then charge someone else for the 3 seats your kids were taking up?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:28 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Can I offer a crazy idea if you want to do this? Can you find someone to watch your kids at this time and then charge someone else for the 3 seats your kids were taking up?

thanks. But it doesn't make sense to me. My little kids are done playgroup, nursery and kindergarten then. They were away from me for a lot of the day already. I wouldn't make them be away from me for any money or job at that time of day!

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:46 am
amother OP wrote:
thanks. But it doesn't make sense to me. My little kids are done playgroup, nursery and kindergarten then. They were away from me for a lot of the day already. I wouldn't make them be away from me for any money or job at that time of day!

Just realize then that they may be super kvetchy sitting in the car for so long after a long day, or they may fall asleep...

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:49 am
amother OP wrote:
I can’t imagine they’ll willingly sit in the car at that point. I needed to drive my dd each day and I had to bribe my younger Dc with snacks and treats because he was so upset about sitting in the car for that time.

I admire you for wanting to help out your friend but you should realize what this entails. It’s really not easy. If you decide to try it, which is very kind of you then be very clear with her that you aren’t committing.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:51 am
amother OP wrote:
wow thanks so much for all these responses, I really appreciate so many of you weighing in.
Really food for thought. My friend is very stuck, maybe I will try it on a trial basis for the first month until yomtov and see how it goes. I think I'm going to ask her for $20 or $25 a day. Thank you all !
Maybe she’s so stuck because she’s unwilling to pay properly for someone to do it. This is exactly why transportation is so expensive in Lakewood - no one is willing to do it for less …

keym

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:53 am
amother Honey wrote:
Maybe she’s so stuck because she’s unwilling to pay properly for someone to do it. This is exactly why transportation is so expensive in Lakewood - no one is willing to do it for less …

It seems like she's more than willing to pay the going rate in the community.
OP is charging more than the going rate.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:57 am
keym wrote:
It seems like she's more than willing to pay the going rate in the community.
OP is charging more than the going rate.
If you can’t find anyone willing to drive for the going rate, then maybe the going rate doesn’t make sense.

keym

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:59 am
amother Honey wrote:
If you can’t find anyone willing to drive for the going rate, then maybe the going rate doesn’t make sense.

Maybe.
Or maybe there are other things.
Maybe it's really late in the game to start looking

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:02 am
For $15 a day, you'll totally be losing money. Consider gas and time. Add to that that you'll be taking three little kids who have already been away from home all day and need your attention. You're taking on a huge commitment and you won't even break even. Your friend needs to find people who are going anyway. She should pay a carpool to have her daughter join them. This doesn't make sense.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:11 am
Afternoon carpool means the carpool line. Would you be aiming for getting there early and sitting and waiting? Toward the end so it's quicker but much later? The middle? Make sure to factor in time waiting on line and time for the girls to disentangle themselves from their friends and come to the car.

I think a trial period is a great idea.

Imateacher

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:22 am
Wow I’m Brooklyn $220 is standard for one month for both ways for ONE kid. That means two kids is $440

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:26 am
amother OP wrote:

Doesn't Baltimore still have the MTA bus option? If the girls are in middle school, it really isn't that big of a deal for them to take the bus. You don't need to feel obligated to undertake this if you don't really want to.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:26 am
I wouldn’t do it, I don’t think any reasonable amount of money would be worth the tircha of driving an extra carpool day in day out that isn’t for your own kids. Much easier ways to make $20

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:27 am
Do you understand how much stress you are adding to your life?
I am a mother with young children.
Think rainy day. You have to change diapers, get everyone into coats or sweaters, buckle them in, then drive, then bring them back and get them all back into the house, and take off everyone’s coats and hang them up and resettle.
All for $15?!?
It sounds ridiculous.
You are going to stress your household for too little money.
Even for $25 it sounds crazy.
How are you going to do this EVERY day of the week?

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:29 am
amother OP wrote:

You answered your own question. This is the hardest most important time of day between you and your kids. Having them sit still for 35 minutes in the back with three others at this time doesn’t count as being there for them.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:30 am
Haven’t read all the posts, but if you want to be friends with her, don’t mix business. It can get bad real quick.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:48 am
amother Tulip wrote:
Haven’t read all the posts, but if you want to be friends with her, don’t mix business. It can get bad real quick.
This
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics