Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do I charge to drive a carpool?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:29 am
Hi, I'm in Baltimore. I don't know who to ask this to in real life, so if anyone knows, please respond!

My friend has just taken on a new job which interferes with her ability to drive some of her carpools so she asked if she could pay me to drive them.
How much would you charge per drive? What is the going rate to drive somebody's carpool for them?

It's probably going to be four days each week, the whole thing shouldn't take more than about 35 mins at most hopefully. Its only three (hopefully well-behaved) middle school girls, who all live close to each other. The way I see it, she's paying for my commitment whatever the weather, planning my appointments around it, I will be taking my three little kiddies along with me for the ride even if they are tired, cranky or just not in the mood. And the cost of gas and wear and tear on my vehicle, in addition to my time of course. She wants to pay me $15 a time. I was thinking more along the lines of $30.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:48 am
Question: what will you do if you are sick? Or one of your kids? Will you be making calls to switch, or will she? Meaning, are you basically a carpool member that drives for her family, or does she do all the calls and lets you know? Also, do you send to this school? If not, is she reliable to send you all alerts for changes in schedule?

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:51 am
I don't live in Baltimore. I'm town I think it would be more. $20 maybe. But really ask for whatever will make it worthwhile and you can just say no.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:53 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
Question: what will you do if you are sick? Or one of your kids? Will you be making calls to switch, or will she? Meaning, are you basically a carpool member that drives for her family, or does she do all the calls and lets you know? Also, do you send to this school? If not, is she reliable to send you all alerts for changes in schedule?

If I'm sick, not sure. I guess it depends on how sick... like, what would I do if it was my own carpool?
I guess I would be the one trying to make the switch. I do send my kids to that school, but don't have anyone in middle school, so you're right, she would have to let me know about any schedule changes. thanks for thinking of that.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:57 am
I don't live in Baltimore but I would never commit to that for $15 a day. That's only $60 per week and sounds like you would be pretty tied down to it. If its a 35 minute drive round-trip that sounds like money for gas.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:08 am
Is it worth it for you for $15 a day? That amount maybe covers gas, it doesn't cover your time and wear and tear of your car.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:13 am
Since you are making a special trip (it would be different if you were anyway going), and need to bring your little kids along, I'd say that's worth more than $15 a trip, at least $25. It's going to be a big effort on your end, day after day.

familyfirst

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:00 am
You’re kidding

Shlepping three kids in the car, tied down to a commitment… don’t do it.
If you ask for more, she will resent it forever. And $15 is laughable.

If you do decide to do it for $30, What happens if you find it too much of a commitment?

Start off my agreeing to an extra day a week for $30. She can take it or leave it.

You can rethink this after sukkot.

Her problem, not yours.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 2:07 am
Don’t do this. So unfair to your own kids.

familyfirst

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:30 am
That’s a good idea. Blame it on your younger kids, as an excuse as to why you can’t do it.

The end.

Only problem is if you have to end up picking your daughter up anyway because she couldn’t find a replacement. Then this excuse falls flat. But you can cross the bridge when you in get there

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:46 am
How much would an Uber driver charge? Use that to get some feel for how much you can charge.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:52 am
Baltimore carpool drivers charge appx $65 per kid per way. So I guess for 3 girls thats 195 for the month. It's 5 in the morning so my math stops there but you can get an idea of what paid carpool drivers charge. As a mother I wouldn't pay $30 each time but as the one doing it I'm not sure I'd do it for $15 either.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:37 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Baltimore carpool drivers charge appx $65 per kid per way. So I guess for 3 girls thats 195 for the month. It's 5 in the morning so my math stops there but you can get an idea of what paid carpool drivers charge. As a mother I wouldn't pay $30 each time but as the one doing it I'm not sure I'd do it for $15 either.

This. $60-$65 per direction is the cost per child to BY middle school 5 days a week. You can’t charge her more than that. You can try to fill your car to make a bit more but in general it doesn’t pay to commit to unless you are going there anyway. You can’t charge her $120/week-
That is way out of line with the going rate and you’ll likely lose her as a friend.

Orange42

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 6:53 am
If you’re already driving there and back, you cannot use the argument of “wear and tear” to your vehicle because it would be getting that regardless. Unless of course the child is truly destructive.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 6:55 am
amother Cappuccino wrote:
This. $60-$65 per direction is the cost per child to BY middle school 5 days a week. You can’t charge her more than that. You can try to fill your car to make a bit more but in general it doesn’t pay to commit to unless you are going there anyway. You can’t charge her $120/week-
That is way out of line with the going rate and you’ll likely lose her as a friend.

I dont live in Baltimore but you said it's $60 PER CHILD. This is three.

Not from Baltimore, but it sounds like the mother is trying to keep her carpool for a similar cost of having her kid driven to school, that's why she offered $15.

I'm assuming when pple charge 60 it's when they are going anyway or it's their gig to drove kids so they are driving seversl and earning a lot more. I doubt anyone committing themselves ahd their car to 35 min a week for $60.

It's too little to have someone custom drive for you.

Honestly, I think the op might end up resenting this for 30 a day too. Depends what time and how intrusive it is on her day.

Im assuming Cappuccinos point is that for what op wants to charge, her friend will find a 60 ride.

But why do you think op.will lose a friend? It's ok to say your time is worth a certain amount. Friend can, that's too expensive I'll go with other options.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 6:57 am
Orange42 wrote:
If you’re already driving there and back, you cannot use the argument of “wear and tear” to your vehicle because it would be getting that regardless. Unless of course the child is truly destructive.

Sounds like op would not otherwise be driving this.

Op can you clarify.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 7:02 am
amother Molasses wrote:
I dont live in Baltimore but you said it's $60 PER CHILD. This is three.

Not from Baltimore, but it sounds like the mother is trying to keep her carpool for a similar cost of having her kid driven to school, that's why she offered $15.

I'm assuming when pple charge 60 it's when they are going anyway or it's their gig to drove kids so they are driving seversl and earning a lot more. I doubt anyone committing themselves ahd their car to 35 min a week for $60.

It's too little to have someone custom drive for you.

Honestly, I think the op might end up resenting this for 30 a day too. Depends what time and how intrusive it is on her day.

Im assuming Cappuccinos point is that for what op wants to charge, her friend will find a 60 ride.

But why do you think op.will lose a friend? It's ok to say your time is worth a certain amount. Friend can, that's too expensive I'll go with other options.

Yes and? 3x$60 (and remember she is only driving 4 days not 5 so if will be less) is $180 for thr month. OP wants to ask for $180 per week for 4 days of driving. It’s not even close to reasonable by the current standards. Although I agree that it would take at least that for me to be interested in doing the drives

bwaybabe85

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 7:03 am
I paid a few different people to drive my kids home from school the last 2 years. $25 per ride in Bergen county NJ.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 7:05 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:
I paid a few different people to drive my kids home from school the last 2 years. $25 per ride in Bergen county NJ.

This is Baltimore not Bergen county. That is way higher than the going rate here

bwaybabe85

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 7:10 am
amother Cappuccino wrote:
This is Baltimore not Bergen county. That is way higher than the going rate here

Exactly, so the $30 a drive the OP was thinking of asking is too much.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics