Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
If your DH is a chazzan for the yomim noraim....how much $
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:26 am
And some tips if he accepts it lol!
Lots of tea and honey every day going forward! My husband drinks his with manuka!
Lots of voice exercise and my husband also takes a supplement to help with voice.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:39 am
amother Silver wrote:
I really can’t answer for you! For sure try to push for more, because hey, why not! (Maybe he should ask around the community what the going rate is. Maybe the pay scale is completely different where we live?)
I could just tell you, listening to my husband prepping hours every night, taking away time from his regular job (he usually works or learns evenings) that it’s quite a lot involved. Maybe the Sephardi nusach is less intricate? I don’t know! Maybe more complicated lol! Point is, as I mentioned above, if he feels he can do it and feels like he won’t be losing out- then what has he got to lose? He’ll only gain experience and have chances for a better paying position for Yom Kippur and for next year.

how much more do you think he can push for if they came back with 1800 + bonus (we dont know what bonus even means). we dont know anyone around the community to ask, were not from that city, one of my friends would be hosting us which is very kind of them. some of the shuls here fly in chazzanim from eretz yisroel which is soooo much more than 1800 because they are also paying for flight, food accomadations etc.

he has nothing to lose bc he hasnt been offered another position. btw how did your husband gain popularity? any tips you can share with a newbie like us?

my husband has been drinking tons of tea with raw honey he got from an amish farm we went to during chol hamoed lol! what supplements is your dh taking?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:43 am
amother Silver wrote:
Absolutely! And a huge huge zechus! (Bonus, you really get to be in the R’H mode in advance, and if you’re like me, with not much time to be in shul on R’H due to kids b’H, you get to be warmed up and can sing to self on R’H because it’s humming in your brain all week anyway:))
What I meant about the amount of men was in regards to who is paying. The more members, usually a better pay can be pooled.
He should definitely check the acoustics there 😉

from what I understand, the nephew of the man who owns the house + minyan was the one talking to my dh. the uncle is the only one paying

and true amen!it should be a zechus for both our families

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:47 am
amother OP wrote:
how much more do you think he can push for if they came back with 1800 + bonus (we dont know what bonus even means). we dont know anyone around the community to ask, were not from that city, one of my friends would be hosting us which is very kind of them. some of the shuls here fly in chazzanim from eretz yisroel which is soooo much more than 1800 because they are also paying for flight, food accomadations etc.

he has nothing to lose bc he hasnt been offered another position. btw how did your husband gain popularity? any tips you can share with a newbie like us?

my husband has been drinking tons of tea with raw honey he got from an amish farm we went to during chol hamoed lol! what supplements is your dh taking?

My husbands friend was just here for prep. Seems like he’s being paid about 2500 per tefilla in Brooklyn. (Were not in Brooklyn).

My husband is not THAT popular! But b’H has a very good voice and people in the community know him and sometimes have him daven for simchas or such. So I guess it’s just getting to know some people. We’re a pretty big community in general (not necessarily where we live, but interconnected) so over the years he’s made some nice contacts and he has many friends in the “line” too, so they’ll refer each other for positions as needed.

I’ll have to check tomorrow for the exact name of the supplement, but it’s voice something.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:49 am
Decided that googling is easier than going to check out the kitchen cupboard!

So I think this is the one he used in the past https://www.amazon.com/VitaVoc.....NU4QC

And I believe this is what he’s taking now https://www.amazon.com/CLYOR-V.....D_BwE

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:49 am
amother Silver wrote:
My husbands friend was just here for prep. Seems like he’s being paid about 2500 per tefilla in Brooklyn. (Were not in Brooklyn).

My husband is not THAT popular! But b’H has a very good voice and people in the community know him and sometimes have him daven for simchas or such. So I guess it’s just getting to know some people. We’re a pretty big community in general (not necessarily where we live, but interconnected) so over the years he’s made some nice contacts and he has many friends in the “line” too, so they’ll refer each other for positions as needed.

I’ll have to check tomorrow for the exact name of the supplement, but it’s voice something.

your husbands friend is sefardi israeli visiting america to lain? how many years?
per teffilah is 3x right? so hes getting $7500?

I read all the responses from here to my dh he thinks he should just accept it, but he doesnt know if he should say can they do it for 2000.

how old is ur dh and how long has he been doing this? does age matter? my dh just turned 30 and has been laining on shabbat for the past 2 years so its recently new

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:51 am
amother Silver wrote:
Decided that googling is easier than going to check out the kitchen cupboard!

So I think this is the one he used in the past https://www.amazon.com/VitaVoc.....NU4QC

And I believe this is what he’s taking now https://www.amazon.com/CLYOR-V.....D_BwE

ty for sending! does ur dh see a difference?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:54 am
amother OP wrote:
your husbands friend is sefardi israeli visiting america to lain? how many years?
per teffilah is 3x right? so hes getting $7500?

I read all the responses from here to my dh he thinks he should just accept it, but he doesnt know if he should say can they do it for 2000.

how old is ur dh and how long has he been doing this? does age matter? my dh just turned 30 and has been laining on shabbat for the past 2 years so its recently new

Nope, not Sephardi!
Yes, that seems like amount
My husband is not much older than yours, he’s been doing this for quite a few years! (Meaning he started when he was around mid 20’s)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:55 am
amother Silver wrote:
Nope, not Sephardi!
Yes, that seems like amount
My husband is not much older than yours, he’s been doing this for quite a few years! (Meaning he started when he was around mid 20’s)

gotchya. can u ask ur husband if u think my husband can ask for 2000 or is that too much? remem they are offering 1800 with the "bonus"... my husband told me to reiterate he is not experienced with RH davening, but will be doing a lot of prep for it iyh

Bleemee

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:56 am
Such a great thread hatzlacha to all the baalei tefilla!
Hope more experienced wives can chime in (maybe OPs can be more specific with locations, usually these things are location specific too]

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:56 am
amother OP wrote:
ty for sending! does ur dh see a difference?

I don’t know honestly!
But even if it’s just mind over matter lo! And he got these recommended either by his voice teacher or family members who are in the field too. Don’t remember, but can ask him tom iyh. I know these are pretty popular in his family.
Btw, we got these in local health food store, not amazon, but it came up the first on amazon in my google search,

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:58 am
amother OP wrote:
gotchya. can u ask ur husband if u think my husband can ask for 2000 or is that too much? remem they are offering 1800 with the "bonus"... my husband told me to reiterate he is not experienced with RH davening, but will be doing a lot of prep for it iyh

I can ask him, but I doubt he’ll be able to answer without knowing your husband and without knowing what the standard is in your community.
2000 is nowhere near too much for davening essentially 6 tefillas in 2 days, with little break in between.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:59 am
Bleemee wrote:
Such a great thread hatzlacha to all the baalei tefilla!
Hope more experienced wives can chime in (maybe OPs can be more specific with locations, usually these things are location specific too]

amen! Long Island area...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:00 am
amother Silver wrote:
I can ask him, but I doubt he’ll be able to answer without knowing your husband and without knowing what the standard is in your community.
2000 is nowhere near too much for davening essentially 6 tefillas in 2 days, with little break in between.

all true points!

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:02 am
amother Heather wrote:
Wow and I thought they did it for free.

My husbands been doing it for years for free. Wish he got paid! We could use it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 3:40 am
I would just take it. They might get annoyed and tell him to forget it. Also it’s a great way to get your husband’s name out there which is really the most important. Two years experience without doing RH before is really not a lot and getting his name out there is priceless. You never know who’s going to be davening there who might hire him.

Also you don’t know what position the man who’s paying is in. Maybe he’s not flying someone in from ey because of financial issues (you’d be surprised). Also when he flies someone in from ey and pays a lot, it’s for someone who has a lot of experience.

Speaking from someone who’s husband does this

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 6:19 am
I also think you should take it for “resume building” reasons and because if they offered $1,800 they’re not going to agree to $5,000. And it’s $1,800 more than you would have had, unless as another poster said he’s giving up other jobs to have time to prepare for this.

You can try to ask for $2,000 or maybe $2,500, but they might have been intending a few hundred as the bonus

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:24 am
If he's recently starting out that price make sense.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:59 am
My DH has been the Baal tefilla for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur in an out of town community for over 10 years. We used to live there, and now fly in for them. (Some of my family still lives there so it’s worth it) He does Shacharis, mincha, and neila and helps out with other things. When we lived there he did it for free to help out. Now he officially gets paid $2,500, but only takes the amount needed to cover our tickets.

They fly in someone else for musaf and the rest, he comes alone and leaves his family behind. He also gets around $2,500.

Not a sefardi shul .

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:16 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
My husbands been doing it for years for free. Wish he got paid! We could use it.

I'm sure my husband can show you a halachic source for why it's best to do it for free. Want me to ask him?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries