Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Louisville Kentucky + Cincinnati

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:33 pm
Thanks to a poster answering my other post a while back, we think that Louisville Kentucky may be a good destination for our quick couple's getaway iyH.

From my little research they usually do have a daily minyan BH. But that's about all I know really. Seems like no real food to buy while we are there- which is a bummer for me, but still workable.

What are the actual recommended activities there? Outdoors, but nothing too rigorous. Or a fun indoor thing. I'm pregnant and can't do too much...

Are there any chalav stam but under hashgacha eateries?

Are there any areas to avoid while booking a hotel?

Just as a precautionary measure, I was looking at the hospitals there and there's either one that gets terrible reviews or another that's baptist. Can anyone enlighten me on them?

Thanks!!

ETA - and passing through Cincinnati - food or activity ideas there appreciated too!

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 10:01 pm
Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger, several whiskey factory tours, Mammoth Cave, Natural Bridge - that kept us busy for a few days

I don't know of any kosher restaurants there, but ask the Rabbi of the shul for current options.

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 10:20 pm
There's no kosher eateries, but there are a few really nice people

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 12:33 am
miami85 wrote:
There's no kosher eateries, but there are a few really nice people

Pretty sure the local grocery options offer almost everything kosher that you could want to buy. But no, there are no kosher restaurants. Pretty area, though.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 6:26 am
Graeter's Ice Cream is kosher but I doubt they have certification on a Louisville branch. But all their ice creams are kosher (not baked goods) and their cones are as well though it might be good to just ask to see the box of those to double check they weren't switched out (they would never switch their ice cream).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:37 am
Thank you for the tips and ideas! I'll look into them :-)
Plus, I realized we will be passing through Cincinnati - any thoughts on what to do there? Or restaurants to catch a meal in?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:00 am
Cincinnati restaurants

Kinneret Grill (meat, open lunch and dinner, Israeli/Mediterranean/American food)

Amma's Kitchen (dairy, CS, South Indian food, lunch buffet and regular dinner menu)

Orange Spot (fast casual, sit down eatery, separate dairy and meat kitchens with separate menus, open 8am to 3pm, weekdays only)

Marx Bagels (bagel, soup, salad, closes 530pm)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 12:18 pm
doctorima wrote:
Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger, several whiskey factory tours, Mammoth Cave, Natural Bridge - that kept us busy for a few days

I don't know of any kosher restaurants there, but ask the Rabbi of the shul for current options.

doctorima- thank you for all the suggestions through all my various posts :-)

I was looking into the places you mentioned.

Neither myself or my husband care for horses- is Churchill Downs still worth to go to?

I am not interested in sports at all, though my husband does like it. I just feel like since we are doing this trip for me- I am not caring for Louisville Slugger too much. Unless you tell me that it is interesting anyway without liking sports?

I thought about a whiskey factory tour... How long are they usually? I don't know much about the process, so it can be interesting in theory, but will it get boring?

Mammoth Cave- we just went with my family to a different cave less than a month ago, so I don't think my or my husband's interest will hold up to another cave so soon after. Also, it was so hard for me on the steps... Another time it would've sounded cool!

The Natural Bridge park looks like it can be a full day activity- right?

Being that I cut out a lot of your ideas (I'm sorry!!) - would you by any chance have one more idea for one more day there? ;-)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 12:19 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
Cincinnati restaurants

Kinneret Grill (meat, open lunch and dinner, Israeli/Mediterranean/American food)

Amma's Kitchen (dairy, CS, South Indian food, lunch buffet and regular dinner menu)

Orange Spot (fast casual, sit down eatery, separate dairy and meat kitchens with separate menus, open 8am to 3pm, weekdays only)

Marx Bagels (bagel, soup, salad, closes 530pm)

Thank you for all the details!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics