Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Taking a flight on elal that arrives on a Friday morning
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:51 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
You guys
Its hopeless around here
how about assuming that a Rav was consulted instead of assuming in the negative Rolling Eyes

It was written in a confusing way. Almost like this is a brilliant way everyone should try this successful way. I think adding a rav was involved was a really important point that needed to be spelled out.

relaxation

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:10 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
Wow.
This says a lot about how little you value Shabbos.
(And of course if you wouldn't have made it in time it would have been elal's fault for being horrible anti-chareidim and religion haters.)
this was uncalled for.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:52 pm
I would probably avoid booking such a flight but it really depends on what the other options are. The time of landing is not so important, its the number of hours to shabbos, where you are spending shabbos, are you checking in luggage, why you are flying. Etc.

I have taken flights or booked flights for my kids landing on friday or erev yom tov, not ideal but sometimes there is no choice.

And be prepared to leave the airport at departures if you are delayed more than a couple of hours. It could end up being expensive.

Maybe travel with a shabbos emergency kit just in case.

Honestly you could get stuck in a crazy traffic jam driving from Brooklyn to NJ, people still take car journeys on friday.

Assess the risks in a reasonable way.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 2:31 pm
Raisin wrote:
I would probably avoid booking such a flight but it really depends on what the other options are. The time of landing is not so important, its the number of hours to shabbos, where you are spending shabbos, are you checking in luggage, why you are flying. Etc.

I have taken flights or booked flights for my kids landing on friday or erev yom tov, not ideal but sometimes there is no choice.

And be prepared to leave the airport at departures if you are delayed more than a couple of hours. It could end up being expensive.

Maybe travel with a shabbos emergency kit just in case.

Honestly you could get stuck in a crazy traffic jam driving from Brooklyn to NJ, people still take car journeys on friday.

Assess the risks in a reasonable way.

We take car journeys on Fridays. You still need to be very careful. The only difference when driving is you’re in control of when you leave and you can make a decision about turning back or stopping on the way which you can’t do up at 40,000 feet.
We always leave a lot of extra time, usually leaving double or more the average drive time before the zman. Leaving on a trip after chatzos can be a halachic problem. We’ve left after chatzos on a short trip in the summer when it gets dark late. Everyone should ask their own rav.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 5:27 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
It's USUALLY true that a direct flight is safe. But not always. Flights can get diverted for lots of reasons, like weather or medical issues or mechanical problems that come up while flying. It happens rarely, but it's a real risk.

Frum people on a flight is not necessarily proof that it's a good idea or halachically sound. AYLOR and read DansDeals on the topic before making a flight with relatively little leeway for Shabbos.

True, it happened to me. The plane I was on was diverted mid-flight due to weather, and the revised route took much longer. We were also delayed on the tarmac during both takeoff and landing—needed to switch to a different gate; and had to wait for the gate to be available, or something to that effect.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 8:37 pm
This is one of the nuttiest threads I’ve ever seen on here.

The comments towards the poster who was in Jerusalem 2 hours before Shabbat are utterly insane.

Who cares? She didn’t break Shabbos. What does it matter what she did in the past? There were no issues so why are you people arguing about a hypothetical?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics