Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
PSA re Starbucks
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Now that is a complete lie. This thread is to spread awareness about the facts and I don’t appreciate you posting snarkily and inaccurately.

Read the articles. Star K indicates you can get a cold brew, iced caffe americano, iced caffe latte, or nitro cold brew without asking any questions.

I’m getting different answers.

I can get cold brew, iced caffe americano, iced caffe latte, or nitro cold brew without asking any questions from any Starbucks?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:25 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We ask them not to use the shot glass and instead put the shots straight into the cup. I am not sure that the almond milk is always kosher. I go with the CRC and they say you need to ask to see the container. So I add my own milk.

I want to know if there’s anything I can get without asking them anything. Some posters said americano, you’re saying that even then I have to request different things.

This is why I get confused.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:26 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
I’m getting different answers.

I can get cold brew, iced caffe americano, iced caffe latte, or nitro cold brew without asking any questions from any Starbucks?

That’s what the Star K article indicates. You can read it on your own to confirm. They would of course be chalav stam.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:27 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
I want to know if there’s anything I can get without asking them anything. Some posters said americano, you’re saying that even then I have to request different things.

This is why I get confused.

For an iced americano you don’t have to ask anything if you’re getting milk and eat OUD. An americano that is not iced would require you to deal with the shot glass issue. Cold drinks are less of an issue.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:27 pm
If you want to be careful about kashrus you stay away period. There are so many risks and problems and unless you check each thing each time and believe they aren't lying about what was used for what, then you can attempt it. But if you think you are free to just assume it's always ok then you are likely not keeping kosher correctly.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:28 pm
I think you need to decide what kashrus agency you want to go with. I personally live in Chicago, I know a lot of the people at the CRC and I trust them. So on their guidelines it says the Americanos are fine and so is an iced latte. It says that the cold brew is questionable and they recommend getting drinks without shaalos. They said also that the almond milk is not certified so thats what I rely on. Others may rely on something else but this works for me.

keym

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:29 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I don't get it. All of your who do hours and hours of driving and need your coffee, how about bringing a thermos of hot coffee with you in your car?

My husband commutes to work an hour and a half away. So he leaves at 7:30 in the morning (yes, with a thermos of coffee).
But sometimes when he's driving home at 6pm, especially in the winter, he can get tired and drowsy and need to pull over at a rest stop for a coffee or something.
And especially on days when he's running on low sleep (after a baby, isru chag Yom Tov) the coffee that he drank at work a little before he left isn't enough.
So I'm glad that the CRC and Star-K publish these reports.
For hard-working commuters who finish their coffees and are still drowsy.

(And based on the mincha mintanim at the Garden State Parkway reststops, there are quite a number of frum commuters)

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:30 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I've had situations where I was driving many hours and needed caffeine to keep me awake so I didn't crash my car cv"s

"5 hour energy" is available at any convenience store or 7/11, and is great.

And b'shaat hadchak - there's an unbelievable amount of caffeine in Mountain Dew.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
That’s what the Star K article indicates. You can read it on your own to confirm. They would of course be chalav stam.

I’ve read it. A few times. And I’m still not clear. Maybe I’m lacking reading comprehension skills. I’m serious. I’m not sure why I don’t feel any clearer when I finish reading it all.
I eat/drink chalav stam.
Can you help me and tell me if everything I wrote in the post you quoted is ok according to them without me asking or checking anything?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:31 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
If you want to be careful about kashrus you stay away period. There are so many risks and problems and unless you check each thing each time and believe they aren't lying about what was used for what, then you can attempt it. But if you think you are free to just assume it's always ok then you are likely not keeping kosher correctly.

Some drinks are always okay though.

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

I always imagine the dish towel in the kitchen. You know, the one used to wipe down the milk frother and the ham-sandwich panini toaster?

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

You really can't assume anything and need to always check. But really the washing issue I don't understand the work around. Now that they sell actual meat the issues are so much greater.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:41 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I've had situations where I was driving many hours and needed caffeine to keep me awake so I didn't crash my car cv"s

You could pull over and take a nap. Or put on the radio really loud. Or keep coke in your car when you travel.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 4:44 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
You could pull over and take a nap. Or put on the radio really loud. Or keep coke in your car when you travel.

If only it were legal... In all seriousness, though, it's a good idea to have an emergency kit in your car with energy bars, a caffeinated beverage, some non-caffeinated beverages, and basic first aid supplies.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 5:05 pm
Why are so many bothered by the Ima who said she needs it after a long drive, when im on a long drive I love a goood iced latte… follow your rabbi and drink what you want

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 5:18 pm
If you’re feeling like you might fall asleep while driving the best thing to do is pull over in a safe place, set your alarm for ten or fifteen minutes, and close your eyes. Trying to stay awake while drinking coffee or listening to loud music isn’t sufficient.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 5:29 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
Why are so many bothered by the Ima who said she needs it after a long drive, when im on a long drive I love a goood iced latte… follow your rabbi and drink what you want

Personally I am slightly bothered that people seem to *worship* Starbucks and cannot live without it despite the fact that it's very complicated when it comes to kashrut. Prepare yourself your own thermos of coffee. Why do you need Starbucks for? Are we so so addicted to their drinks that we cannot live without it??

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 5:51 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Personally I am slightly bothered that people seem to *worship* Starbucks and cannot live without it despite the fact that it's very complicated when it comes to kashrut. Prepare yourself your own thermos of coffee. Why do you need Starbucks for? Are we so so addicted to their drinks that we cannot live without it??

Honestly I prefer any other coffee to Starbucks. But there isn't a list out there of what's kosher at a treif Dunkin donuts and I can't have soda or straight energy drinks for medical reasons.

And I can't just pull over and nap with my kids in the car

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
For an iced americano you don’t have to ask anything if you’re getting milk and eat OUD. An americano that is not iced would require you to deal with the shot glass issue. Cold drinks are less of an issue.

An iced americano with soy milk is dairy? It’s chalav stam?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:52 pm
I keep the instant starbucks packets in my bag. just add hot or cold water.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen