Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hair shaving

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:17 pm
Contemplating a significant decision about my hair due to a persistent Problem. Over time, ive been experiencing hair loss, and its been quite distressing. After showers, I find a significant amount of hair, and this has become a daily occurrence. Ive consulted with several professionals who mentioned it could be related to hormonal factors which can be normal.

However, what's been even more challenging is the intense itching on my sculp. Its been bothering me all Day long , and its affecting my daily life. At this point, im seriously considering shaving my head as a solution to both the hair loss and the itching.

Im seeking advice, experiences, and opinions from others who might have faced similar issues. Have any of you dealt with persistent hair loss and itching? And what did you do, Did it help? Im thinking that I anyway wear wigs , im just worried about the potential regret of shaving.

I beleive there could be others who have faced similar challenges but may not openly admit it or opt for shaving as a solution. Id appreciate any insights and perspectives why shaving might be seen as unusual by some (excluding chasidim) .

Your input would be invaluable in helping me make this decision. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:43 am
Bumps

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:44 am
This is really important to me to hear about others. Thanks.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:47 am
The itching is a scalp issue which wouldn't be alleviated by shaving your hair off. You need to treat it and get to the root (no pun intended) of the issue.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:47 am
I had post partum hair loss and shaved it all off seven year ago and haven’t looked back. I love not having to deal with hair maintenance, itching, cleaning hair that gets everywhere when it falls out….

But I’m also Chassidish and this was something I knew was “expected” of me. Don’t know if that makes a difference.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:48 am
I have alopecia and as a tern I ended up shaving the rest of it so it would look cleaner and be easier to wear a wig. Now I am married and the only person who remembers the alopecia is my husband and he could care less. It is so much easier not to have to deal with patches and shedding

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:58 am
I shaved my hair off for other reasons. I'll try to detail my experiences vs what I thought it would be like:

I thought that once you shave it off it's gone, but I forgot hair grows and that you have to keep shaving every two weeks or month or so. When the hair is about an inch long, it pushes the wig up, so you have to keep it shorter than that once it goes off.

It's very liberating, showers are a breeze now, and I can shower 10 minutes before candle lighting (I have little kids) because I don't have to deal with wet hair.

I have a husband who supports it. He does not miss my hair very much. I also don't. It's been about a year and 4 months.

It does sometimes itch.

When it's super short, newly shaved, you get velcro effect and the headcovering sticks to your head like velcro. You can decide to like this or no.

I still use shampoo. It takes away the scalp grease.

It must be very hard for you to go though this.

If your diagnosis is alopecia, you should know that study has shown that guided imagery can sometimes help. And that many women have this diagnosis, usually triggered by stress or childbirth/loss.
Let me know if you want me to expound on the guided imagery.

Golde

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 6:13 am
I don't usually wear wigs (as you said you do) but I've suffered a lot from itchy scalp. For me an antifungal shampoo from the pharmacy helps a lot. Check it out if you feel it could be helpful for you, ask at the pharmacy. It really has helped me lots and lots.

I also suffer a bit from hair loss, it never occured to me that they could be related... Thanks for pointing that out!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics