Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
A discussion about the contradictions in nutritional advice

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:59 am
As someone who has been overweight for most of my life, and is obese currently, I have been on a fair share of diets, read many books on diets and nutrition and listened to many podcasts.

Here is what I find so frustrating. No one agrees with anyone else!

I recently started listening to Dr. Eric Berg, since I saw his name mentioned on this site. He has a huge following, with many people claiming that he has literally saved their lives. There are also some videos out there saying he is a fraud and not even an MD, just a chiropractor. And that he doesn't know what he is talking about. I also read a book by David Perlmutter, who again, has a huge following, and then some sharp detractors. Supposedly real doctors disagree with Berg and Perlmutter and say that their plans are dangerous.

For example, they believe that almost everyone today is insulin resistant due to the way we have been eating, so low carb is a way of eating for almost everyone.

They believe the key is getting into a state of ketosis. It's not only good for weight loss but also for brain functioning. Others say that ketosis is dangerous.

There are proponents for intermittent fasting, 16 hours, even 24, 36, 48 and even 72 hours fasting (on occasion.) There are other who feel you should eat every 2-3 hours.

For a layman like me, who tries to really understand a subject, all of this contraditctuon in the nutritional world is very hard for me. On this site as well, any thread on nutrient has people from different camps arguing their position. And I have no doubt everyone believes in their position. Almost every single principle in weight-loss has some experts disagreeing with it. (Which is also true for any other area of study.)There are very few things (if any) that everyone agrees with.

Here's where I get confused: I really believe that each of these people (nutritionists, doctors, weight loss gurus) believes in their product and approach. They feel that by disseminating their wisdom, they are helping people. They have come to their conclusions through lots of research, trial and error and working with patients. And yet, everyone comes to different conclusions.

I feel like I have to pick one approach and just follow it.

My husband, who has recently been diagnosed with diabetes has gone almost completely off carbs. He may eat a drop of challa on Shabbos and very minimal carbs from veggies and such. He will even avoid milk because it contains 19 grams of carbs per serving. He is urging me to do the same.

I just feel that whatever plan I choose should be a forever plan and I don't know how sustainable cutting out carbs for life is.

Anyone relate?

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 11:45 am
My 2 cents, The latest studies make the most sense to me.

First stop is to get insulin sensitivity back. All the diets are good for this.

Then here is the chiddush, those are terrible ways to eat otherwise.

Most of our calories should come from simple carbohydrates once insulin problems are fixed.

But my take on it, I have followed & read all the doctors for many years, after insulin is addressed eat the golden middle road of unprocessed real food, no overeating. No off limits foods other than processed or chemicals.

The evil guy right now are oils. Those are very processed and didn't exist for most of history.

That might make sense why the French don't have issues as much, they bake with butter.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:26 pm
No advice, but I get where you are coming from OP! I have seen so many opposites in contradictions and nutrition advice.
We have all heard that it is important to eat your whole grains, and we are also heard that grains all together are " bad ". I have even seen somewhere that whole wheat is worse for you than white wheat LOL! We hear that fat is bad for you, we hear that fat is actually good for you but it's carbs that are bad for you. Coconut oil is good for you, or it's bad. Stevia is natural and healthy, or it's not! Listen to your body, but count calories and stay within a certain range. Coffee has health benefits, coffee can cause problems. Vitamins are important to take, vitamins don't do anything. Fruits and vegetables are good for you, high sugar fruits and potatoes are bad for you. Smoothies are a great way to eat healthy foods, smoothies are a great way to drink sugar faster than you'd eat it. Soy is a great way to get protein, soy can impact your hormones. Flax seed is healthy and allfull of fiber, flaxseed can also impact hormones. Follow the FDA food pyramid, the food pyramid is outdated. Dieting is important, dieting doesn't work.
It's really not so funny, but it's also hilarious!

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:30 pm
Different things will work for different people, because we are all bioindividual.
Also, certain restrictive diets don’t need to be forever, they are meant to be healing and then you can add back in other foods.
Also, there is a whole lot more to insulin resistance than just carbs.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:11 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

Most of our calories should come from simple carbohydrates once insulin problems are fixed.

But my take on it, I have followed & read all the doctors for many years, after insulin is addressed eat the golden middle road of unprocessed real food, no overeating. No off limits foods other than processed or chemicals.

The evil guy right now are oils. Those are very processed and didn't exist for most of history.

That might make sense why the French don't have issues as much, they bake with butter.

Wait, what?? Most of our calories should come from simple carbohydrates??

Also, exactly how long does it take to fix your insulin resistance and how do you know when you've done it?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:18 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
No advice, but I get where you are coming from OP! I have seen so many opposites in contradictions and nutrition advice.
We have all heard that it is important to eat your whole grains, and we are also heard that grains all together are " bad ". I have even seen somewhere that whole wheat is worse for you than white wheat LOL! We hear that fat is bad for you, we hear that fat is actually good for you but it's carbs that are bad for you. Coconut oil is good for you, or it's bad. Stevia is natural and healthy, or it's not! Listen to your body, but count calories and stay within a certain range. Coffee has health benefits, coffee can cause problems. Vitamins are important to take, vitamins don't do anything. Fruits and vegetables are good for you, high sugar fruits and potatoes are bad for you. Smoothies are a great way to eat healthy foods, smoothies are a great way to drink sugar faster than you'd eat it. Soy is a great way to get protein, soy can impact your hormones. Flax seed is healthy and allfull of fiber, flaxseed can also impact hormones. Follow the FDA food pyramid, the food pyramid is outdated. Dieting is important, dieting doesn't work.
It's really not so funny, but it's also hilarious!

Exactly:
And I'll add to the list:
A little wine is excellent for you, lately stories show wine os bad for you.
Bottom line, Calories in calories out, No, it has to do what your body does with the calories.
Drink your coffee black or wolith low fat milk, or best think is to use full fat or cream. (Acc to Dr. Berg)
Start your day with a meal within half hour of waking up, wait as long as you can go.
Eat when your hungry, no, wait, when you are hungry, that's exactly when the body is switching to another form of energy.
I think everyone agrees that cookies and chips are bad. No, wait, Noom and weightwatchers allow tou to eat those, as long as you count them. In fact, it's important to treat yourself so you don't feel deprived.
Make slow changes so as not to shock the system, no, go off sugar and carbs cold turkey, because there's no halfway with ketosis.
Drink half your body weight In water, too much water is not good for you.
Every single diet claims to not be a diet but a way of life. But why is it that I start each diet about 20 lbs above what I started last time? Sad

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wait, what?? Most of our calories should come from simple carbohydrates??

Also, exactly how long does it take to fix your insulin resistance and how do you know when you've done it?
When you can eat carbs without spiking your blood sugar like crazy.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:30 pm
Something that may be of interest to you is Ayurveda. It teaches you to eat food your body type, season, time of day etc.. It helps you get connected to what is good for you specifically. It's old Indian medicine that is not Diabetes specific. There are books and cookbooks and podcasts .

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:33 pm
Here's my approach:
Eat less of everything.
(The thing is, it works great for me every time for a few months, until my will breaks and I somehow slide back into unrestricted fressing).

The best diet for you is the one that changes your eating habits permanently with no backsliding.
Else you just get a yo-yo effect for your weight, bouncing up and down.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:35 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Something that may be of interest to you is Ayurveda. It teaches you to eat food your body type, season, time of day etc.. It helps you get connected to what is good for you specifically. It's old Indian medicine that is not Diabetes specific. There are books and cookbooks and podcasts .

Sounds different and interesting! I'll check it out!

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:38 pm
There are 100 ways to eat healthy . You gotta choose the one that works for you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:45 pm
amother Dill wrote:
There are 100 ways to eat healthy . You gotta choose the one that works for you.

But I don't know what that is.
That's the point.

All I know is that I'm very overweight. I have low energy. A lot of brain fog.
I have many cravings to eat unhealthy foods. I like to read while I eat, so I always overeat. Actually, I always overeat even when I am not reading. I am pretty sedentary and have a hard time bending down to look for things under the bed.
I don't know if I prefer a diet where they tell me exactly what to eat or one that gives me free reign. I don't know if I like to weigh and measure my food, or just eat until satiation. I'm all confused at this point.

So, after reading so many books and listening to so many health experts, I basically don't know myself anymore.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:47 pm
They all agree on the basics. Everyone agrees that you should avoid soda, cakes, cookies, doughnuts, candy, French fries, hot dogs, and puff pastry. All the rest is commentary.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:56 pm
I decided to see an RD. Took a middle of the road healthy approach no extremes. Taught me better eating habits over 2 years. No yo yo dieting where I crave the bad food and give in after being fully deprived. Instead learn how to eat at weddings/parties and go back to regular eating next day without gaining. How to have a treat.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 6:02 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

My husband loves Dr. Berg and this sounds a lot like what he is saying lately too. He was a big keto guy and now, if I understand correctly, he is advocating keto as a tool to get where you need to be and then slooooowly transition back to eating healthy carbs. No more keto for life.

OP, I've had my head swirling from all the conflicting advice for a long time too. It's so hard. Sometimes the diets I feel best on (in terms of energy, no body aches, no mood swings, etc.) either don't help me lose any weight or even make me gain. Other plans have me losing weight but feeling awful.

In the end, I'm back to hcg. I did it years ago with a lot of success and maintained for many years. Then things got away from me. G-d willing this will put me back on track with my weight and my insulin sensitivity and allow me to go back to eating in a normal way without any extreme food life style.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:26 pm
Listen to 'Dishing Up Nutrition' podcast
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise