Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What kind of warm food for kids on YK
Previous  1  2  3  4

scruffy

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:03 am
Chayalle wrote:
I used to put up a split pea soup in my crockpot, and my kids and my neighbor's kids all used to sit there eating it by the bowlful. With croutons of course.

ETA I've heard there are those who don't do hot food, but our LOR said it's not a problem for the kids.

That sounds really good! Did you cook it before YK, or put up raw with some meat right before? (Really considering making this now!)

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:06 am
amother Violet wrote:
That's saying you can't heat up moist foods. The other poster said they can't heat up any foods at all on Shabbos.

It's saying a bit more than that. For example, it's saying that you can't warm up food with congealed solids. Many of the cold meats and chicken have congealed fats that melt when you warm them up (sometimes it's not readily visible). So how can you warm those up?

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:26 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
It's saying a bit more than that. For example, it's saying that you can't warm up food with congealed solids. Many of the cold meats and chicken have congealed fats that melt when you warm them up (sometimes it's not readily visible). So how can you warm those up?

Just by all of these different answers we can see that there is a machlokes.
The way I learned this and what my mother did growing up, was to remove the most amount of liquid before shabbos so that once its on the plata on shabbos day, the miniscule amount of liquid that there might be, left, is ok.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:27 am
scruffy wrote:
That sounds really good! Did you cook it before YK, or put up raw with some meat right before? (Really considering making this now!)

Partially cooked before - I saute the meat a little with some vegetables, add the split peas, and put it up in the crockpot to simmer all night.

scruffy

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:30 am
Chayalle wrote:
Partially cooked before - I saute the meat a little with some vegetables, add the split peas, and put it up in the crockpot to simmer all night.

Thank you!

Sebastian

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:38 am
Deli big franks and blanks, lachmagene, shnitzel and kugel is the plan

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:55 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
Please ask your lor, not supposed to put up a cholent for yom kippur or serve warm food.
That halacha applied to ashkenazim, but only forbids warming up food for AFTER the fast. You can have a cholent for kids to eat on YK, just like as on Shabbos.

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 10:37 am
amother Molasses wrote:
That halacha applied to ashkenazim, but only forbids warming up food for AFTER the fast. You can have a cholent for kids to eat on YK, just like as on Shabbos.

As per Rav Tzvi Yaakov Stein

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:15 pm
amother Violet wrote:
That's saying you can't heat up moist foods. The other poster said they can't heat up any foods at all on Shabbos.

It actually refers to food with any type of moisture. E.g. if you put your finger on the food and feel moisture - this includes oily residue, water or any other kind of sauce, the Shulchan Aruch Harav holds that you are not allowed to reheat it on Shabbos.

Foods like Schnitzel or Burekas would be included in this category. This leaves 100% dry food which is generally Challah - not directly from the freezer - which would contain moisture.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:20 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
Why is eating sandwiches, yogurt and fruit not considered ‘real food’?

I always learned that for children who are not fasting, it should be similar to a Yom tov meal- they make kiddush and hamotzei and have nicer food.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 12:59 pm
I am doing eggs salad sandwich for lunch because that's what my kids like. Bagel and tuna for supper because that's what they said they wanted. But I am only feeding 2 kids this year. I grew up with chulent because it was easy.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 1:51 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
I am doing eggs salad sandwich for lunch because that's what my kids like. Bagel and tuna for supper because that's what they said they wanted. But I am only feeding 2 kids this year. I grew up with chulent because it was easy.

So many people are saying cholent, but my kids who are not fasting don’t eat cholent, except my baby. I’m not making a whole cholent just for him :-)

scruffy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:00 am
Chayalle wrote:

Thanks, this was kid approved Smile

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:24 am
I put up a crockpot with chicken on the bone. I sautéed some onions for a bit first, put in the chicken potatoes squash and carrots. Spiced and salted it. No recipe just random. It came out very meh Confused It smelled insanely good though! Was such a tease all day!
I must have underspiced and it was definitely under-salted with how much potatoes were in there.... kids are it though and didn't complain. Even my kid who is always adding salt to EVERYTHING. Go figure.

I took it off the base to serve the kids. Let it cool off only to put it back into the base to reheat for the adults/fasters.... Maybe it was better earlier in the day when it hadn't cooked that long.

Next time I'd do away with the squash and carrots and do only potatoes or maybe rice instead. And more salt Tongue Out

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:29 am
Hatemywig wrote:
It actually refers to food with any type of moisture. E.g. if you put your finger on the food and feel moisture - this includes oily residue, water or any other kind of sauce, the Shulchan Aruch Harav holds that you are not allowed to reheat it on Shabbos.

Foods like Schnitzel or Burekas would be included in this category. This leaves 100% dry food which is generally Challah - not directly from the freezer - which would contain moisture.

This is how chabad paskens. From what I've learned, non chabad Ashkenazim are not so machmir and if there is a bit of moisture or congealed gravy it's allowed to be heated up on shabbos.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:52 am
So funny, I was thinking about this thread today. My snacky, nibble-y 7 yo who loves sweets and has to be bribed to touch his cholent every Shabbos actually requested soup for his meal! He also asked for the the leftover chicken from yesterday, but declined when he heard it was cold. Of course, I didn't have anything hot because my little kids barely touch real food on a regular day. I told him to remind me next year to put the soup in the crock pot.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:02 am
I ended up making pasta and putting it in the warming drawer, because that’s what my kids wanted. My baby had (at different points throughout the day) cheerios, pasta, squash from yesterday’s chicken soup, mashed potatoes, and I think a little fruit. Also lots of bottles.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:10 am
No one ended up eating much besides snacks as they weren’t home most of the day and I wasn’t there to serve them. So everyone was hungry for a meal post fast.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:56 am
The awesome thing about crock pot food is that you can eat it all day, take it off, put it back on, etc.

So it's not about having a hot meal, it's also just about giving the kids something filling from one pot instead of opening of 4 different container in your fridge.

We make cholent or soups and my kids are it for lunch and supper on YK

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:45 am
LovesHashem wrote:
The awesome thing about crock pot food is that you can eat it all day, take it off, put it back on, etc.

So it's not about having a hot meal, it's also just about giving the kids something filling from one pot instead of opening of 4 different container in your fridge.

We make cholent or soups and my kids are it for lunch and supper on YK

How do you take it off and put it back? From what I learned, it’s not so simple.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur