Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Kollel wives: How much is your husband's stipend?
Previous  1  2

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Teal wrote:
In case anyone is considering leaving kollel to work, I advise to really look into how much he will make at work. Remember you have to consider the cost of health insurance (no more Medicaid) and food (no more food stamps). And you will no longer be getting those nice coupons that we used to get for yomtov for hosiery and clothing and shoes etc. I see a lot of people make the mistake (us included), thinking that finances are easier if husband is working. They are not, they are actually much harder.

Agree 100%

My dh learned in kollel for 7 years and left when he needed a change, not even for financial reasons. But our finances didn't improve much (and its already about 3 yeats out)

A huge factor is that schools (and day camps) were sooooo nice to us when he was in kolell. I actually never understood why people thought school administrators were such mean people. But once he went to work, wow did I see their nasty side.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 3:05 pm
We left as we need to make more money even w.o programs. I cannot physically work full time anymore and I am pushing myself until my husband makes decent living..it's been hard. The 1500+800 from kollel ain't gonna cut it if I can't work even with EBT and Medicaid and every program. We can't rent a basement forever and we need to marry kids off. Kollel worked for us until it didn't. There is an in between stage that is difficult but soon my husband will make more iyh

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Olive wrote:
Agree 100%

My dh learned in kollel for 7 years and left when he needed a change, not even for financial reasons. But our finances didn't improve much (and its already about 3 yeats out)

A huge factor is that schools (and day camps) were sooooo nice to us when he was in kolell. I actually never understood why people thought school administrators were such mean people. But once he went to work, wow did I see their nasty side.

How much was ur tuition raise

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 3:25 pm
in BMG- will get 1000/month after three years
currently getting 900/twice a year (although you have to fight for it!)

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 4:01 pm
In town but not lakewood.
Morning Seder $600
Afternoon Seder $800
I don't know what anyone else makes, but my husband is one of the older guys and has a large family bli ayin hara.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 4:13 pm
OOT Community Kollel, last I asked around 35k salary and a free apartment. It could be more now but not huge amounts more.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 4:15 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
in BMG- will get 1000/month after three years
currently getting 900/twice a year (although you have to fight for it!)

That’s nice it was raised. Was this recent? When DH was there it was $300 or something tiny. And you needed to be there 3 years and all sedarim…

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 4:22 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
How do you all rent an apartment? Serious question.

? I work. Yes our budget is tight. I make about 45k and my rent is 1500/ month. Right now I only have 1 kid

Iyh very soon we'll qualify for the BMG stipend. If needed my dh will step up and do tutoring or something on the side to increase our income

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 4:22 pm
I’m shocked at how little Kollel men get!
How do people live?

I always knew Kollels pay little but not this little! !

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 4:34 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
How do people live?

Generally the wife works. I earned about up to 70k when DH was in kollel. We didn’t qualify for any programs except Jersey Care for the kids. DH didn’t get a check from kollel but he did learn with teenagers for a small check.

The only kollel couples I know where the wife didn’t work were being 100% supported by parent s.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 4:55 pm
SuperWify wrote:
That’s nice it was raised. Was this recent? When DH was there it was $300 or something tiny. And you needed to be there 3 years and all sedarim…

Yes, it was raised after the Adirei HaTorah event last June. Its really great! And they're working on steadily raising it to keep up with inflation.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:59 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
How do people live?

If you knew how much we get from government programs, and all of the Kollel discounts we get, you’d realize it’s much easier to live this way than to have to work for everything.

Emuna360

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 1:19 am
People are learning because they're in love with learning and there's no price tag for that. The first 5 years people are usually supported so you can add that on and then as the kids come the husband helps out. Does carpool the wife works? They get lots of free clothes. You could get a box of food if you wanted. Camp will charge you less health insurance is free and you leave it up to Hashem. He can unfortunately make a grandfather die and the cola couple gets a car out of it. Also there's fancy ladies that like to upgrade their strollers doona and will pass it along to a cola couple for a working couple etc etc
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics