Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Least answered ops seem to be travel-why?
Previous  1  2  3

scruffy

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:29 am
I find that sheitel threads get very few responses, unless they're controversial (ex ban on lace tops).

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:56 am
People ask:

Where can I go that no one knows of yet?
Cheep flights, kosher food and minyan.
Higher end hotels that cost under 100$ a night.
Chabad that provides free kosher meals for exposure.
We need indoor activities that children ages 2-25 will enjoy.

If I knew of any places like this I would post.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 4:06 pm
As one of the most frequent responders on this forum, I try my best throughout the year and definitely get nachas when posters PM to let me know how their trips went and how some of my advice was helpful.

In the summer, I'm often away myself and unavailable for a good part of it. And as others have already mentioned, I'm also human and get tired of posts that are unrealistic, lazy, or too vague.

I remember a series of several posts along the lines of, "I'm so excited, we're going away next week to ___! Where should we stay, what should we do, and what are our food options?" As someone who spends quite a lot of time researching destinations and then planning the trip, it blows my mind that someone can book tickets with no idea of why they're going to that specific place and how to make it an enjoyable vacation.

Then there are the posts that could be answered with a simple Google query - "I'm going to ___ next week. What will the weather be?" Or "Is there a minyan or kosher restaurant in ___?"

DH knows way more about travel logistics than me and recently opened a side business helping people plan trips (which has been very beneficial to some posters here), and he sometimes points out how much time I spend doing what he gets paid for.

Then there are the posts that are extremely vague and don't give enough info to work with - Where should we take our kids this summer? If OP doesn't give enough info to work with, I usually skip it.

Then there are the repetitive posts that ask the same questions over and over, even though the answers don't change - Where should we go within 2 hours of Lakewood/Monsey/Brooklyn that has minyan, kosher restaurants, and really cheap family-friendly activities? What are the kosher hotel options for Shabbos in the tri-state area?

And then there are the posts that are so unrealistic that I feel like anything I respond will be a waste of time - Where can we get an AirBNB with a totally private pool, in walking distance of a minyan, that sleeps 12, for $150 a night max, oh and for this summer weekend?

That said, I do love to help with destination suggestions and basic itinerary options when I see that OP has put in some work researching, and to privately steer those who want more detail and are willing to pay for it to DH.

Happy travels to all!

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:05 pm
This entire thread was very interesting for me to read. I am actually blown away whenever people give detailed vacation help. It takes a lot of time to write it up, and that's after all the research that's been done. Whether you are asking questions because you don't have full/any internet access, or because the details are just too overwhelming (which they really can be!) I recently opened a side business planning and booking summer vacations (both local and long distance), large family shabbosim etc. anywhere in the united states or Canada. I go over with you all your specific needs and wants and then keep in contact with you to find the perfect place for you to stay, things to do etc.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:11 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
This seems like the least answered topic. I just wonder why that is? Do most of us not take vacations and just don't know? Or is it annoying to answer? Is secrecy important?

Yes I noticed that too.
Like If you know a place that would be good. Why not share?

NechaMom

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:21 pm
amother Sand wrote:
This entire thread was very interesting for me to read. I am actually blown away whenever people give detailed vacation help. It takes a lot of time to write it up, and that's after all the research that's been done. Whether you are asking questions because you don't have full/any internet access, or because the details are just too overwhelming (which they really can be!) I recently opened a side business planning and booking summer vacations (both local and long distance), large family shabbosim etc. anywhere in the united states or Canada. I go over with you all your specific needs and wants and then keep in contact with you to find the perfect place for you to stay, things to do etc.

I guess someone reported you because advertising is supposed to go through Yael. It’s a great business idea. Hatzlacha!

Last edited by NechaMom on Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:22 pm
Whoops- I didn't realize that- would it be best if I delete my post?

NechaMom

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:23 pm
amother Sand wrote:
Whoops- I didn't realize that- would it be best if I delete my post?

Just your phone number and ask a mod how to go about posting it. I’ll delete it in the post I quoted.

Last edited by NechaMom on Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:23 pm
doctorima wrote:

Then there are the posts that could be answered with a simple Google query - "Is there a minyan in ___?"

how's that easily googled?

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:24 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Just your phone number and ask a mod how to go about posting it. I’ll delete it in the post I quoted.

I deleted my phone number from my OP, but it's in your post when you quoted me. Anything to do about that?

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:27 pm
I see that you deleted it- thanks!

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:27 pm
amother Petunia wrote:

https://www.godaven.com/ is a good place to start.

Look for the nearest Chabad in the area you are traveling to - https://www.chabad.org/jewish-centers/ . Check their website to see if they have davening times listed. If they don't, they probably don't have regular minyanim during the week. Call them or email them about Shabbos or to double-check if they sometimes do have minyanim.

srill

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Petunia wrote:

You really have to do leg work for minyanim- like go daven, chabad etc.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:03 am
srill wrote:

You have to research everything when traveling and this is no different

I usually just google ‘x city name synagogue’ and see what comes up and take it from there

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:07 am
srill wrote:

If you know someone Lubavitch it can take them a few minutes to get the right contacts for you for mikvah and minyanim in the area.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics