Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
4 year old has hard time remembering names

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 5:23 pm
Is this normal that he has a hard time remembering the names of numbers and ABC/אב? He only gets it after going over and over and over but taking forever

marineparkmom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 5:38 pm
It may be typical development it may not be. It’s best to get the child evaluated. Are you missing other areas that the child may be struggling in?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 7:48 pm
My adhd son had a very hard time with names and אב. He is actually very bright but still jas a hard time qith names. He is now 9 and sometimes I'll ask him what his friends name is and he'll have no idea. B"h this doesn't effect him too much.

mom24b

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:19 pm
I would suggest getting him evaluated by a speech and language pathologist

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:46 pm
Thanks he just started speech because doesn’t speak clear was just wondering if this bigger indication for learning disability I never had this with any of my other kids, otherwise over all he’s on the ball, he just has hard time remembering new names of people etc , took a few weeks to know kids in his class and all his teachers and learning new letters and numbers ..

mom24b

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks he just started speech because doesn’t speak clear was just wondering if this bigger indication for learning disability I never had this with any of my other kids, otherwise over all he’s on the ball, he just has hard time remembering new names of people etc , took a few weeks to know kids in his class and all his teachers and learning new letters and numbers ..

It’s possible he also has a language disorder, as it seems he is struggling with word retrieval. Many speech therapists specialize in one area of speech. It’s possible the speech therapist he is going to now specialty is articulation and not so much with the language aspect. It is definitely worth discussing your concerns with her. Even if it is not her area of focus she should know enough to guide you in the right direction.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 12:13 am
Interesting, my 5yo is also having trouble remembering the names of the letters. She sometimes has to go through the Alef Beis to remember that it's called a Lamed. She's getting it eventually but it's taking a lot longer than most of my other kids.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 2:01 am
My DD also had hard time of remembering names etc. After doing full evaluation I was told she has language processing disorder which includes word retrieval and memory. Currently working with a very good SLP. Things aren't easy for her in school. Wishing you good luck OP
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)