Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Device with Word processor, no internet???

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:12 am
My daughter loves to write and asked for a device of her own on which to type stories. Per school rules, she cannot have anything with internet access, unless TAGged etc.
Ideally I really don't want her to have a device with internet at all.
Does such a device exist?
I thought a Chromebook and disabling internet, but looks like you can't install microsoft normally on it. Maybe a chromebook, TAG it, and only whitelist google docs, but then I have to pay the monthly filter fee on another device...
Any other ideas out there???

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:18 am
Not a Chromebook because those work with Google. Get a regular laptop, install Microsoft word and disable the internet.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:26 am
As above user said, but more specifically, take out the network card and put super glue in the slot. Haven't done this myself but assuming it can be done without shorting the laptop I would think that's pretty safe.
Obviously do it to an old laptop not one you will want to use again one day

This is what I did for my laptop for my daughter who wants to type:
Made her a child account on my laptop.
Removed permission from all apps except notepad++
Removed wifi permissions
Installed browser lock which honestly is unnecessary because of above
Put in time constraints, 15 min a day on school nights, 30 on weekends
She's only allowed to use it at the dr table
There's nothing to do except type

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:28 am
You can have TAG install a filter that blocks everything. It cannot connect to the internet. I have that for my kids.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:36 am
amother Brunette wrote:
As above user said, but more specifically, take out the network card and put super glue in the slot. Haven't done this myself but assuming it can be done without shorting the laptop I would think that's pretty safe.
Obviously do it to an old laptop not one you will want to use again one day

This is what I did for my laptop for my daughter who wants to type:
Made her a child account on my laptop.
Removed permission from all apps except notepad++
Removed wifi permissions
Installed browser lock which honestly is unnecessary because of above
Put in time constraints, 15 min a day on school nights, 30 on weekends
She's only allowed to use it at the dr table
There's nothing to do except type

Sounds great! You were able to set all these restrictions just through Windows controls?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Sounds great! You were able to set all these restrictions just through Windows controls?

Except for the browser blocker I bought for $20

It send weekly activity reports and you can look in too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:41 am
I'm not so techy, should I be looking at a "Thinkpad"? Would like to spend as little as possible since the device will really only be used for her word processing (maybe excel for school work).

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:51 am
I don't know if it's still true of modern desktop computers, but mine needs a dongle or to be wired with a cable to connect to the internet. You cannot access the internet without plugging something in. I know it's bigger and less portable, but it might be worth looking into. I know if my kids are on the computer, the only things they can access are what's already on the computer.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:13 am
Any typewriters still around?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 12:27 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
Any typewriters still around?

Dont think so

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 12:28 pm
I would just get a desk top computer and not connect it to the internet. I know a lot of people who do this for school work.

I dont know how old your kids are but my son in 7th grade and also a little last year in 6th has started having some assignments to type out. So it may be a good investment to get something that you can use for your family.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 2:37 pm
I blocked it through proxy settings. The advantage is this can be blocked for one user account and not the others. If your child is not techy, they won't figure out what you did.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 2:50 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I blocked it through proxy settings. The advantage is this can be blocked for one user account and not the others. If your child is not techy, they won't figure out what you did.

Can you please explain how to do that?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 3:02 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Can you please explain how to do that?

It's method 3 at this link
https://www.wikihow.com/Disabl.....ccess

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 3:15 pm
Another option: Buy an alphasmart on ebay.

You need to plug it into your computer to print anything, and the screen is small and only shows a few lines of text at a time. There's also no formatting on it. But many writers use it so they don't get distracted by apps or whatnot. Just word processing.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 4:15 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
It's method 3 at this link
https://www.wikihow.com/Disabl.....ccess

Thanks, but how do you do that for one user account but not for others?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 4:40 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Thanks, but how do you do that for one user account but not for others?

I think it works only by user account to begin with. Not sure

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 4:41 pm
If you disable the Internet entirely, this means the computer will not be able to update itself and won't load new virus definitions. This makes it susceptible to getting computer viruses from things like USB flash drives.

Gneshe

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 4:44 pm
Alphasmart Neo Handheld Word Processor with Full Size Keyboard, Calculator https://a.co/d/97W20Bt

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 4:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not so techy, should I be looking at a "Thinkpad"? Would like to spend as little as possible since the device will really only be used for her word processing (maybe excel for school work).

A Thinkpad is extreme for just typing you need a very basic laptop, the main thing you will want is storage. You can buy something cheap.
I know Walmart once sold their brand of laptop ONN. that someone brought into Israel for all the kollel men to type shiurim etc. I am not sure if they still sell them.
I think max you would pay is $200-300 unless you want to invest in something that can also be used as a laptop for regular use.
Just be careful if you plan on downloading any programs not from Microsoft store do not buy a laptop which comes with Windows 10 or 11 S mode otherwise you will have to have a technician change it for the same fee +/- as buying without Windows and adding it.
HP & Acer are some cheap brands that work well.

My husband is a computer technician in Israel... I am not just spewing my thoughts
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics