Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Restore Uninstalled Program Windows

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 3:12 am
Someone in my home uninstalled a game that someone else in my home very much wants back. I think it was in the Microsoft Solitaire Collection. I looked into re-installing, but every site I found linked me to the Microsoft Store, which seems to be blocked by my filter. He specifically wants to play Tri-Peaks, which I couldn't find in any other Solitaire collection or anything. (I tried about a dozen.)

I see there is an option to use System Recovery to reinstall Windows. It says you get the option to keep your personal files. But then everything else on the computer is erased, right? So I'd have documents, pictures, music, but lose any programs I downloaded and be left with exactly the programs on the computer when I purchased it? That does not seem worth it. Is there any other way to get back this uninstalled game?

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:13 am
Get rid of the crazy filter. Or at least put it on pause while you redownload the game.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:44 am
amother Valerian wrote:
Get rid of the crazy filter. Or at least put it on pause while you redownload the game.

I hear. That does sound way easier and less risky than the restoring system. But dealing with the filter company is a huge pain and we do appreciate having the filter most of the time. (If it's just a blocked site, it's not difficult, but this seems to be blocked in a different way that's less clear.) Maybe I'll just stick with telling my kid sorry, no luck. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:53 am
amother OP wrote:
I hear. That does sound way easier and less risky than the restoring system. But dealing with the filter company is a huge pain and we do appreciate having the filter most of the time. (If it's just a blocked site, it's not difficult, but this seems to be blocked in a different way that's less clear.) Maybe I'll just stick with telling my kid sorry, no luck. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sorry for my snark in calling it a crazy filter. I would just hate feeling so controlled. Your response is really polite!

I would recommend trying harder to get access to the play store. As a former child computer game addict, I would have been truly heartbroken and so upset if someone deleted my favorite game and a filter was the reason I couldn’t get it downloaded again. That would be the end of me ever considering putting a filter on my device. If this game is your kid’s favorite and they are very upset about it, it’s worthwhile putting effort into.

It’s like how if a kid’s toy boat breaks, they’re as heartbroken as an adult would be if their real life ship would sink. Kids take these things very seriously.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:06 am
amother Valerian wrote:
Sorry for my snark in calling it a crazy filter. I would just hate feeling so controlled. Your response is really polite!

I would recommend trying harder to get access to the play store. As a former child computer game addict, I would have been truly heartbroken and so upset if someone deleted my favorite game and a filter was the reason I couldn’t get it downloaded again. That would be the end of me ever considering putting a filter on my device. If this game is your kid’s favorite and they are very upset about it, it’s worthwhile putting effort into.

It’s like how if a kid’s toy boat breaks, they’re as heartbroken as an adult would be if their real life ship would sink. Kids take these things very seriously.

That's a really interesting perspective, thanks. Part of the issue is dh is the one who deleted it because he was afraid ds would become a computer game addict. So I kind of wanted to get it back for him and dh was kind of okay with me doing it, but dh still thinks it's not a good idea for him to play this game. I think this game is so boring and dumb he'll play it once in a while when he's really really bored and that will be it. But dh is really worried about what it could lead to. We don't officially allow any "screen time" for our kids. But ds is 9 and sees these things at friends' houses (much to our chagrin).

Interestingly, ds understands why we have the filter and does not seem so upset about it. This happened a few weeks ago and once in a while he'll mention "Oof I wish I could play that game," like if he's looking for something to do, but otherwise he really does seem fine with it. He also understands that dh thinks this is better for him and wasn't angry about it more than an hour or so. (Good kid, B"H.) So way more complicated than my original question... you still think I should go around the filter and download this game?

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:11 am
amother OP wrote:
That's a really interesting perspective, thanks. Part of the issue is dh is the one who deleted it because he was afraid ds would become a computer game addict. So I kind of wanted to get it back for him and dh was kind of okay with me doing it, but dh still thinks it's not a good idea for him to play this game. I think this game is so boring and dumb he'll play it once in a while when he's really really bored and that will be it. But dh is really worried about what it could lead to. We don't officially allow any "screen time" for our kids. But ds is 9 and sees these things at friends' houses (much to our chagrin).

Interestingly, ds understands why we have the filter and does not seem so upset about it. This happened a few weeks ago and once in a while he'll mention "Oof I wish I could play that game," like if he's looking for something to do, but otherwise he really does seem fine with it. He also understands that dh thinks this is better for him and wasn't angry about it more than an hour or so. (Good kid, B"H.) So way more complicated than my original question... you still think I should go around the filter and download this game?

Oh wow that’s a lot messier. I relate a lot, my father was always against my being on the computer and would set passwords but my mother would feel bad and tell me them lol. It’s a weird dynamic.

It really depends on the kid. I needed the computer games and was not okay without them. I was furious at my father for months whenever he would try restricting me. If your son seems okay with it then maybe leave things as they are for now. But keep an eye on it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:31 am
amother Valerian wrote:
Oh wow that’s a lot messier. I relate a lot, my father was always against my being on the computer and would set passwords but my mother would feel bad and tell me them lol. It’s a weird dynamic.

It really depends on the kid. I needed the computer games and was not okay without them. I was furious at my father for months whenever he would try restricting me. If your son seems okay with it then maybe leave things as they are for now. But keep an eye on it.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. Definitely "messier" Wink B"H, he does have other things to keep him busy, and does seem to understand. I thought if it's easy enough to get it back I could, but I don't think it's worth too much, especially if it might not be best. Thanks again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics