Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
7 year old struggle sleeping. Anything besides melatonin?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:14 pm
My 7 year old is very much struggling to fall asleep, and it’s every night. I have tried melatonin and it only helps a little and I don’t like how she behaves the next day when she takes it. Is there something else natural I can give her to quiet her mind and relax her? She has ADHD and anxiety. Thank you

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:15 pm
Magnesium taurate or threonate orally
Magnesium footsoaks or lotion
Gaba
L theanine
5htp
Lemon balm
Phosphatidylserine
Ndf sleepy from bioray

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:21 pm
I heard that if yi

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:22 pm
I heard that if you spray the linens with lavender oil it’s supposed to work wonders.
Hatzlocha

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:44 pm
How much melatonin are you giving her? My kids need only 1/2 mg. When I give them more I feel like it has negative effects. I've also found the MelOChew brand to work on them much better than any other brands. Could be you need to try a few types to find the one that works best for her

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:04 am
Weighted blanket seems to be working for my kids!

amother
White

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:06 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Magnesium taurate or threonate orally
Magnesium footsoaks or lotion
Gaba
L theanine
5htp
Lemon balm
Phosphatidylserine
Ndf sleepy from bioray

These are all good possibilities. I would add to this list Bach flower remedies.

paperflowers

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:16 am
Only using bed for sleep. Teach her that if she is lying awake for more than 15-20 minutes to get out of bed and do a calm activity and go back to bed when she is tired.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:19 am
Tart Cherry. Either in liquid or supplement works wonders

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:31 am
Spend quality time with her during the day or before bedtime. I remember getting this advice and thinking the lady was a lunatic. It worked magic.
Basically when a person is hungry they cant fall asleep as easily. Junk food doesmt fill one up. When a person is emotionally hungry they cant either. Children need emotional connection during the day for sound sleep at night. “Junk food” such as talking and communicating but not one on one real connection is not nutritious enough.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:42 am
My 13 yr old daughter had this problem for a while before I dealt with it. I was hoping things would get better on their own but it only got worse.
She started taking melochews at bedtime. 1mg is doing the job. I also bought her a weighted blanket. That keeps her in a tight sleep.
The melotonin helps her fall asleep and the weighted blanket keeps her asleep.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 7:57 am
Consider anxiety ease from vita vocal. I use it for myself with excellent affect.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 9:40 am
amother OP wrote:
My 7 year old is very much struggling to fall asleep, and it’s every night. I have tried melatonin and it only helps a little and I don’t like how she behaves the next day when she takes it. Is there something else natural I can give her to quiet her mind and relax her? She has ADHD and anxiety. Thank you
can you please explain how she behaves the next day? asking to compare to what someone mentioned to me

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 9:51 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
can you please explain how she behaves the next day? asking to compare to what someone mentioned to me

I think my child is irritable and frustrates more easily when she takes melatonin.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 9:59 am
amother Birch wrote:
I think my child is irritable and frustrates more easily when she takes melatonin.
That's exactly what I heard from another person!

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:01 am
Is she getting her energy out before bed? Does she have soft blankets or pillows and stuffed animals or things that make her feel safe and regulated?

What about soft music? A CD? Is the room dark? Is she warm? Cold? Is she full before bed?

honey36

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 10:05 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
Spend quality time with her during the day or before bedtime. I remember getting this advice and thinking the lady was a lunatic. It worked magic.
Basically when a person is hungry they cant fall asleep as easily. Junk food doesmt fill one up. When a person is emotionally hungry they cant either. Children need emotional connection during the day for sound sleep at night. “Junk food” such as talking and communicating but not one on one real connection is not nutritious enough.

Love this idea. I also feel when I'm able to spend more quality time with my kids during the day and especially right before bed, they fall asleep better.

Also getting enough sunlight during the Day, especially in the morning. Harder in the winter, but doable if you make it important enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics