Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What do you eat on Friday afternoon?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 10:37 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Ditto. Why is this lunch different from lunches Sun-Thurs?

1. During the week, the kids eat in school. Dh and I have salad and tuna or a sandwich.
2. Dinner is at 6ish on a regular day. Shabbos here in NYC is approx 540 now. The earliest we eat the meal is 715/730. You can bet I'm straved by then.
3. I don't wanna see tuna or eggs another day... As is it's boring..

I serve the kids lunch, sometimes a sandwich. I generally don't serve cereal cuz it's not filling but Friday I do. Sometimes we do just yogurt, banana, cheese etc. I should feed myself better.

Later we do kugel, chulent, leftover chicken sometimes. If I'm putting the kids to bed I give them soup as well. I used to add eggs to the chulent for Friday. I should probably start again.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 11:30 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Chassidim have a minhag to have a taste of Shabbos food on Friday (toameha) so it's definitely not universal to not eat meaty foods.

(I'm not chassidish, but it seems to be pretty common.)

No, not just chassidim. Everyone I know holds that you do TASTE from the Shabbos food, for the sake of the mitzvah, but that’s the key word, taste. Not to just eat other fleishig foods.

challah58

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 11:34 pm
If I make a really simple Shabbos and I don't feel like there's enough to pull from for lunch, that's when I make an exception and allow hot dogs in my kitchen 🤫
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note