Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
America stole our language...and changed it!?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:33 am
Wow! oh my goodness this is in entertainment and everyone's getting personally insulted. 😄
I don't know any more words but I do love the British English accent!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:34 am
Petrol - gas
Lift - carpool

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:24 am
Such an odd premise the thread title

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:55 am
amother Red wrote:
Petrol - gas
Lift - carpool

Lift is to give someone a ride. Carpool would be rota.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:10 am
amother Brown wrote:
Lift is to give someone a ride. Carpool would be rota.

I don't live in UK but I do live somewhere where primarily British English is used and "lift" is a carpool. We'll say, "do you want to do a 3:00 lift together and maybe we can get someone else to join". Or I have a 4:00 lift - meaning carpool. We also use lift to mean give a ride. And lift for elevator.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:28 am
amother Red wrote:
I don't live in UK but I do live somewhere where primarily British English is used and "lift" is a carpool. We'll say, "do you want to do a 3:00 lift together and maybe we can get someone else to join". Or I have a 4:00 lift - meaning carpool. We also use lift to mean give a ride. And lift for elevator.

I think carpool is rota.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:29 am
I ain't British but Americans take a chill, the second you feel America is not the top of the world you get all defensive.

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:30 am
I hate British spellings.
Tyre
Programme (like, so dramatic…why the extra letters??)
Colour
Neighbour
Mummy (stop whining when you call your mother)
Kerb

As an American living in the uk I can think of hundreds:
Till - registrar
Trolly - cart
Year- grade
Grammar school - high school
Primary school- elementary school
Packet of crisps (bag of chips) always makes me laugh
Trainers - sneakers
Reception - year before year 1
Soda- seltzer
Knickers- girl’s underwear
Pants- boy’s underwear
Trousers- pants
Air con- AC
Holidays- when school is off or going away
Half term- break half way through school term
Buggy pram or push hair- stroller
Kit- uniform. Ie: football kit, PE kit ect

I’ll think of more.

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:31 am
amother Red wrote:

Lift is a ride. (In America too)
Carpool is rota (school carpoool)

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:32 am
Trolley - cart
Crisps - chips
Caretaker - Janitor

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:40 am
amother Red wrote:

I live in the UK and I've never heard anyone use 'lift' to have that meaning. We use rota. It may be location dependent for your meaning of lift.

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 4:18 am
America kept the old words like Pitcher, which Britain changed to Jug

Differences
Pocket book - handbag
Recess -break time
Juice box -juice carton
Jello -jelly (they couldn't think of a name so call it by the brand LOL )
Jelly -jam

Americans are so daft they couldn't manage with Cheque so they use check.
Completely unrelated to check as in to see/look.
Or horse riding - horse back riding, just incase you think you ride the head or tail. They better specify where to sit.
Same as glasses, it's eye glasses, where else would it go, that you have to put eyes in the word?????
Pavement, is sidewalk so they know exactly where it is that they have to walk. I wonder how many people got hit before they realised it must be changed.
Bin -waste paper basket. They really had to specify that it's a basket that only waste paper goes in so you remember not to throw away new papers.

Biscuits in the US refer to something else either tea biscuits (jack and Jill biscuits - if you know, you know) or similar to scones.

Why on earth are individual chocolate bars called candy bars????? Candy's are sweets not chocolate!

BTW for all the Americans a Trunk is at the front of an elephant and not the back off a car!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:15 am
Brit in Israel wrote:

Differences
Pocket book - handbag
Recess -break time
Juice box -juice carton
Jelly -jam

Or horse riding - horse back riding, just incase you think you ride the head or tail. They better specify where to sit.
Same as glasses, it's eye glasses, where else would it go, that you have to put eyes in the word?????
Pavement, is sidewalk so they know exactly where it is that they have to walk. I wonder how many people got hit before they realised it must be changed.
Bin -waste paper basket. They really had to specify that it's a basket that only waste paper goes in so you remember not to throw away new papers.

Biscuits in the US refer to something else either tea biscuits (jack and Jill biscuits - if you know, you know) or similar to scones.

Why on earth are individual chocolate bars called candy bars????? Candy's are sweets not chocolate!

BTW for all the Americans a Trunk is at the front of an elephant and not the back off a car!

Michael M'centire

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:15 am
Tap-faucet

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:37 am
amother Lilac wrote:
I ain't British but Americans take a chill, the second you feel America is not the top of the world you get all defensive.

Exactly!!

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:23 am
I'm American and I have never called it a wastepaper basket. It's a garbage can.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:28 am
GLUE wrote:
I was once reading a book were 1\2 the book took place in Sydney the other 1\2 took place in NY.
The author had wanted that the part of the book that took place in Sydney had Australia spelling. The part of the book that took place in NY had American spelling. Her proof reader went crazy and told her NO WAY.

Why are you not screaming at the Australians, I would not be surprised if there English is also a color different.

Right and South Africa and any other country where “English” is the main language.

If anyone is wondering why Americans are insulted, it’s all in the wording. If op would have asked the difference in words, that would be fine, but it was an attack or insult to begin with.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:34 am
yo'ma wrote:
Right and South Africa and any other country where “English” is the main language.

If anyone is wondering why Americans are insulted, it’s all in the wording. If op would have asked the difference in words, that would be fine, but it was an attack or insult to begin with.

Yup. THIS. 100%!
She keeps mentioning how their the "originals" like it's elite.
I strongly advise you to watch the second to last(?) season of Downton Abbey where you can see that the English elite don't even accept jews as part of them...

sushilover

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:33 am
Brit in Israel wrote:

Differences
Pocket book - handbag
Recess -break time
Juice box -juice carton
Jelly -jam

Cheque comes from the word check, as in to verify that the money source is legitimate. At some point in the 19th century, the Brits (and for a while, some Americans) decided to go with the French spelling, probably to be fancy, or maybe because they couldn't handle having one word with multiple meanings, while most Americans were smart enough to understand the concept of homonyms.

The brits are so daft they call a vacuum cleaner by one brand name- Hoover. And it's an American brand!

Sweaters don't really make me sweat, but they certainly don't make me jump.

(By the way, for those worried about another War of 1812 breaking out, I think the OP made her post tongue in cheek and some of the enraged responses are tongue in cheek too. It's all good educational fun, as we learn that no country owns a language and the motherland went ahead and changed so many meanings, pronunciations, and spellings while the former colony often kept to the traditional ways..or gasp developed new modern words at the same time as another country was developing their own modern words.)

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:39 am
sushilover wrote:
Cheque comes from the word check, as in to verify that the money source is legitimate. At some point in the 19th century, the Brits (and for a while, some Americans) decided to go with the French spelling, probably to be fancy, or maybe because they couldn't handle having one word with multiple meanings, while most Americans were smart enough to understand the concept of homonyms.

The brits are so daft they call a vacuum cleaner by one brand name- Hoover. And it's an American brand!

Sweaters don't really make me sweat, but they certainly don't make me jump.

(By the way, for those worried about another War of 1812 breaking out, I think the OP made her post tongue in cheek and some of the enraged responses are tongue in cheek too. It's all good educational fun, as we learn that no country owns a language and the motherland went ahead and changed so many meanings, pronunciations, and spellings while the former colony often kept to the traditional ways..or gasp developed new modern words at the same time as another country was developing their own modern words.)

Lol about the Hoover. I was going to use it in my immediate reaction post, but changed it.
In any case, I crack up how a name is actually a verb now.

And now will you pardon me from wasting my time here? I’ve got to go tidy my flat and Hoover my living room.
👋
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics