Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Outer Door Combination lock Mavens, WWYD?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:28 pm
I live in a 3 family house.

If I want a combination lock on my front door that can be opened by a person on 3rd floor, I need a combination lock thats wired to their intercom on the 3rd floor (and is Muktzah I assume).

Obviously if combination lock is wired, it cant be used on Shabbos.

So do people have 2 combination locks on their front door, one thats not wired (for Shabbos use), and a different combination thats wired to intercom, for every day use?

What would you buy, and if youre familiar with brands, please say whats best.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:37 pm
I live in Brooklyn. This concept is fairly common.

I think the newer installations have just one lock - it's a handle that has a built-in combination lock. So during the week you can buzz people in, and on shabbos you can manually enter the code and get in.

I don't know brands, but this kind of concept:
https://a.co/d/4R5hUkC

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:41 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I live in Brooklyn. This concept is fairly common.

I think the newer installations have just one lock - it's a handle that has a built-in combination lock. So during the week you can buzz people in, and on shabbos you can manually enter the code and get in.

I don't know brands, but this kind of concept:
https://a.co/d/4R5hUkC

And this kind of lock, if its on the front door, on the 1st floor, connects to a 2nd floor and a 3rd floor apartment?

If yes, I would think theyre Muktzah?

happy chick

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
And this kind of lock, if its on the front door, on the 1st floor, connects to a 2nd floor and a 3rd floor apartment?

If yes, I would think theyre Muktzah?

What's the difference how many floors it's wired to? In the second floor of a private house, during the week we buzz and on shabbos we open it manually. If someone knocks, we have to walk down the steps to open.

mfb

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:47 pm
The muktzah wires are in the door frame not in the actual lock!
But know that this type of combination lock is as strong as a regular door handle, it is not a deadbolt style lock.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:54 pm
We have a combination lock for 3 families that are wired to 3 buzzers and it's not muktzah on shabbos. Only parts that are muktzah are the doorbell and buzzer, no the lock.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:37 pm
mfb wrote:
But know that this type of combination lock is as strong as a regular door handle, it is not a deadbolt style lock.

This type of combination lock IS as strong as a deadbolt lock? or was this meant to say IS NOT as strong as a deadbolt lock?

Are you saying the combination lock is more easily "pick-able", meaning a thief can break it easier than a regular door knob lock?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics