Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Teach me eBay for dummies

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 3:48 am
I’d like to sell stuff around my house on eBay but I don’t even know how to start. Can somebody quickly teach me the basics?
I see they ask for all my info- name, address etc. is that OK to give them?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 5:36 pm
Bump

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 7:24 pm
There are plenty of YouTube videos you can watch which are very helpful

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 8:27 pm
OP I sell on ebay this is what I do,

1 research the item you want to sell and see if anyone else is selling it on Ebay or has sold it by clicking on advanced search and clicking on sold listings.

2. if someone else posted it then post yours if not then either it's a very unique item or there is no interest in the item.

3. take your own pictures I put my items on a nice tablecloth or clean table

4. make sure the items are either new or in great condition

5. make sure if it's new or used that write that and what condition it is in specifically take pictures of any discoloration or defects.

6. choose your shipping method or do local pickup option, you can choose to raise price and offer free shipping or lower price and have them pay for shipping

7. if it sells ship your item right away

8. I use usps I get supplies from their website and ship it at post office.

9. Now you have made some $

10. Good Luck!

Just as an aside you might want to try Poshmark or Thred up as well also great places to sell items.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 11:13 pm
What type of items sell well?

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 1:31 am
amother Anemone wrote:

1 research the item you want to sell and see if anyone else is selling it on Ebay or has sold it by clicking on advanced search and clicking on sold listings.

2. if someone else posted it then post yours if not then either it's a very unique item or there is no interest in the item.

5. make sure if it's new or used that write that and what condition it is in specifically take pictures of any discoloration or defects.

6. choose your shipping method or do local pickup option, you can choose to raise price and offer free shipping or lower price and have them pay for shipping

10. Good Luck!

Just as an aside you might want to try Poshmark or Thred up as well also great places to sell items.

I am the amother above; that you have to research I sell very random items so I can't answer the question of what sells well. Sometimes an item I post sells and sometimes it doesn't. Most of the times my sales really surprise me a lot as items I think nobody will want sells for a high price. It really shows me that Parnassah is from Hashem.

I use the money to pay for my kids tuition/college this is a side job for me. I spend about 4 hours a week posting items and I net about $200 to $800 a month depending.

One other suggestion is that items sell really well during the holiday seasons so try to post more items then.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 1:38 am
Actually find out shipping prices before selling or you can end up losing money

groisamomma

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 1:45 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Actually find out shipping prices before selling or you can end up losing money

I'm not OP but how can you know in advance how much shipping will cost if you don't know its destination until it's sold?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 1:50 am
Quote:
I'm not OP but how can you know in advance how much shipping will cost if you don't know its destination until it's sold?

Buy a small scale on Amazon. You put in the weight and dimensions into your listing and the shipping is automatically calculated.

Just remember that about 20% of your sale prices is going to go towards fees.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 2:25 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:

Buy a small scale on Amazon. You put in the weight and dimensions into your listing and the shipping is automatically calculated.

Just remember that about 20% of your sale prices is going to go towards fees.

1. Without knowing how far it's going?

2. I just checked Amazon (thank you, OP, this might work for me!) and I see shipping label printers. Do you need one to do this?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 2:49 am
Thank you everyone for responding, it is much appreciated. I have so many questions but first these 2:

1. How do I start? Do I create a sellers account on EBay? Is it safe to fill out all my info like name address etc?

2. Do you all sell items around your house or do you buy new cheap items to sell on eBay for a profit?

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 6:46 am
groisamomma wrote:

You can weigh the item and can get an estimate depending on various region. You can also say write on your listing shipping cost will be extra if too California, etc . I have seen that before. You can’t get exact but a good idea. I used to sell stuff on ebay.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 6:47 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you everyone for responding, it is much appreciated. I have so many questions but first these 2:

1. How do I start? Do I create a sellers account on EBay? Is it safe to fill out all my info like name address etc?

2. Do you all sell items around your house or do you buy new cheap items to sell on eBay for a profit?

Yes ebay is safe to make a sellers account. I started with selling off my college textbooks and then other miscellaneous stuff I got for really good prices. I don’t sell regularly anymore, but I did in the past.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 7:14 am
amother Anemone wrote:

10. Good Luck!

I’m not the OP. Is there any special way you need to pack it - lika do you need bubble wrap or something else protective?

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 7:27 am
Amother above

You don't need a scale or supplies save your money just google the item use usps for all supplies. They have free bubble wrap envelopes I use those.

I don't buy items I sell items in my house that nobody uses or is done using.

I recommend starting that way until you get a feel for it then you can build it seriously and buy items but first try it with free items.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 7:36 am
It may not be worth the hassle unless you're selling something more expensive. For example, a $20 item from around your house- not worth it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics