Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Shocked that people pay these prices!!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:22 am
amother OP wrote:
My daughter is being very picky about booties this season. We've been to a bunch of stores and ordered a bunch online, but nothing worked out... Fast forward to today I decided to just go to a local shoe store and spend way more than I wanted to but time is money and this was taking up too much time. I figured I'd be willing to spend up to $120...
We go into the store and start browsing. My daughter points out some booties and mentions friends that have the various kinds... She picks one up and says she likes those. None of the booties were labeled with a price. I walk over to the cashier to ask the pricing. She said most of the booties are $245!!!!! Of course I ran out of there because way way above what I think is normal to spend on booties for a growing child for one season!!! I'm just shocked that people actually pay these prices!!!!
Thanks for listening! Any good recommendations for cute combat booties or Chelsea booties online will be greatly appreciated!!

On a smaller scale-but not really- I bought a few donuts yesterday, and found that they have fully doubled in price, in approximately one year. From $1range to over $2 for the basic ones.
I’ve seen muffins for $5 that were probably $2.50 a year before.
I think these booties are the same ones that would have been $120 12-18 months ago.
Groceries in general-many are easily up 50%.
Only thing not going up like that to match, has been my income.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:23 am
Chayalle wrote:
This is the same argument as those who "need" to get their teens coats they can't afford (anyone from Lakewood remember the "wonderful" Hashgacha P story a year ago from the woman who doesn't use internet but still managed to spend $200 on a "very necessary" designer coat her daughter "needed"....because "everyone" has them....

Or you can get your teen a not-so-expensive, not-so-designer coat/booties/shoes/briefcase that is nice and in your budget, and she can learn that we stay within our means. A most valuable life lesson.

Please share the story.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:31 am
amother OP wrote:
My daughter is being very picky about booties this season. We've been to a bunch of stores and ordered a bunch online, but nothing worked out... Fast forward to today I decided to just go to a local shoe store and spend way more than I wanted to but time is money and this was taking up too much time. I figured I'd be willing to spend up to $120...
We go into the store and start browsing. My daughter points out some booties and mentions friends that have the various kinds... She picks one up and says she likes those. None of the booties were labeled with a price. I walk over to the cashier to ask the pricing. She said most of the booties are $245!!!!! Of course I ran out of there because way way above what I think is normal to spend on booties for a growing child for one season!!! I'm just shocked that people actually pay these prices!!!!
Thanks for listening! Any good recommendations for cute combat booties or Chelsea booties online will be greatly appreciated!!

I don't pay more than $50 for dd12. More expensive doesn't mean they last longer.
If my kids want more expensive ones they wait till they are working. How does anyone afford $200 for 1 pair of shoes??

sunspot

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:36 am
I got these for my daughter after we tried doc martens that looks awful on her.

She loves these! and I love the price!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB.....ss_tl

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 12:09 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Please share the story.

Gosh, can't say I remember the exact details. Something like "everyone" was getting an $800 coat for less online, and their teen really wanted it, and they didn't have internet, but then a neighbor was selling it for $200 so how wonderful, she got it anyway, and they didn't need to have internet access.

There was definitely discussion on this site about it. How the whole lesson of "no internet" was so important, but apparently "less gashmiyus" is not a value and not important. A chinuch family needs to get their daughter that designer coat, and $200 is still expensive for a coat (for some of us, anyway).

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 12:27 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
Yes people pay these prices. Many do.
Even if you cant afford.
Bh I dont have peer pressure and I thank hashem every day that I dont care but many many people do just get what the local stores sell. Clothing and shoes. And furniture and what not. And may hashem give everyone the money they need to live the life the need.

but there is no money to pay teachers or open classes in schools.... Girls will cry there eyes out until December or be placed in more modern schools...
Shameful

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 4:02 pm
https://www.zappos.com/p/sam-e.....or/72
https://www.nordstromrack.com/.....ize=6

The "frum look" is hard to find, but looking online many of the local stores have some cheaper options, not quiet 120, but under 200
This had the most cheap options:
https://perseshoes.com/product.....ties/
https://rfslakewood.com/Girls-.....rder=
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics