Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Davening without understanding the words

gorilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 5:59 pm
Can someone explain how you build a relationship with hashem by davening from a siddur or saying tehillim without understanding what the words mean. Imagine if you try to build a relationship with someone and you speak different languages you’ll never get anywhere!!

I know I can learn what the words mean but it will take forever

Plonis

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:11 pm
You can learn the general message of each part of davening in a very short time. You might not understand each and every word, but you can know what you are saying.

SG18

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:25 pm
You build a relationship by speaking in your own words.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:44 pm
Artscroll interlinear siddur! Life altering.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:50 pm
A lot of words are repetitive so once you learn the definition (from an inter linear siddur or from using the translated Artscroll siddurim, side by side , it gets easier and easier to understand what you just said .

But you don’t need to understand to talk to HaShem. He understands whatever language you speak and the language of the heart as well.

I never felt a connection to saying Tehillim. Once I got an inter linear Tehillim, and I read the meaning of the words I find it amazing to see how the verses pertain so much to today and it feels like these chapters were custom made for us during this time . Once I learned the basic words once or twice it becomes a part of me and don’t need to go back and check the meaning again .

Then , once you have a basic grasp of the meaning of the words you can get books and seforim on the tefillos and gain deeper meaning behind each tefilla .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions