Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Laptop help (black Friday spinoff)
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 12:55 am
I guess I could be a little less cheap with the kids if the really cheap processors are garbage. It's just hard because expenses are piling up.

Meanwhile here's a perfect example of a wonderful machine but with 8gb soldered. So sad. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/a.....43527

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 1:51 am
I PLACED AN ORDER!!!!

The clincher was that lenovo seems to have a fully free return policy. I will have to confirm with customer service in the morning, they are closed now.

I got this for me:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p.....en-8-(16-inch-amd)/82xg002tus
It checks ALL the boxes and comes in significantly below budget. The only gripe is that I worry 16" will be too big for me. Hence the need for good return policy since I didn't compare sizes before shopping.

For those interested, it has a touch screen.
And a little more than full HD. And 300 nits which is slightly above standard.
It has my 16gb ram.
My current gen processor.
Both USB c and USB a ports.
It's under $500.
And has a fingerprint reader!
SD slot only micro. Whatever. Dd barely uses her camera lately and I never do.
Good reviews on Lenovo's website. I did not see much around the web for this configuration, mostly theoretical opinions based on the specs before it was released. One actual review that was too geeky for me to follow or to know whether their standards are relevant to my life.
I will have to judge for myself whether I like the screen and ux. People looking for big screens also ask for full number pads and I'm used to small machines with centered keyboards, so I'm wondering what that's like.

For the kids I got the one posted above. The price was very right and I like the idea that it's rugged (though one review said that makes it hard to get usbs in and out, hopefully it doesn't lead to damage by kids)
Again, will have to evaluate performance in action. This is why the free returns were the biggest selling point.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 2:43 am
I do still think 16" will feel huge to me so I'm keeping half an eye out for 14" deals. But that seems to be more rare in general. I wonder how big the difference is between 15.6 and 16. I'd guess not so significant. The price for specs was amazing on this. Since it's from lenovo I assume their doorbusters are trying to move old stock but if it was a good computer a year ago or whatever then it's still good enough for me.

cbsp

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 7:53 am
seeker wrote:
I PLACED AN ORDER!!!!

The clincher was that lenovo seems to have a fully free return policy. I will have to confirm with customer service in the morning, they are closed now.

I got this for me:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p.....en-8-(16-inch-amd)/82xg002tus
It checks ALL the boxes and comes in significantly below budget. The only gripe is that I worry 16" will be too big for me. Hence the need for good return policy since I didn't compare sizes before shopping.

For those interested, it has a touch screen.
And a little more than full HD. And 300 nits which is slightly above standard.
It has my 16gb ram.
My current gen processor.
Both USB c and USB a ports.
It's under $500.
And has a fingerprint reader!
SD slot only micro. Whatever. Dd barely uses her camera lately and I never do.
Good reviews on Lenovo's website. I did not see much around the web for this configuration, mostly theoretical opinions based on the specs before it was released. One actual review that was too geeky for me to follow or to know whether their standards are relevant to my life.
I will have to judge for myself whether I like the screen and ux. People looking for big screens also ask for full number pads and I'm used to small machines with centered keyboards, so I'm wondering what that's like.

For the kids I got the one posted above. The price was very right and I like the idea that it's rugged (though one review said that makes it hard to get usbs in and out, hopefully it doesn't lead to damage by kids)
Again, will have to evaluate performance in action. This is why the free returns were the biggest selling point.

Tis'chadsheichem! May both your new acquisitions serve you and your family well for many years

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:37 am
Question, why don't you purchase a separate screen and keyboard?

I work on a laptop, but use a large screen and keyboard. You can set it up as 2 displays, open emails in one screen and work on the other.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:09 am
cbsp wrote:
Tis'chadsheichem! May both your new acquisitions serve you and your family well for many years

Amen! I spent so much time on this it's embarrassing. This is how I stink at shopping.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:10 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
Question, why don't you purchase a separate screen and keyboard?

I work on a laptop, but use a large screen and keyboard. You can set it up as 2 displays, open emails in one screen and work on the other.

Because I don't have an office. I plop it on the dining room table and then scoop it off for Shabbos and, if everyone's home, for supper. Or I work in the bedroom. Or whatever.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics