Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Quick PTA question

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 7:48 pm
If your kids' school(s) have PTA, do you pay something to be in it? If so, how much per kid or family per year? And do you know what this money is used for?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:46 pm
Never hewrd of this. Unless you mean they collect to give teachers joint chanuka presents etc ..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:07 pm
Nope. School PTA wants to collect $ per family to join. So I guess I'm being asked to pay to volunteer my time to the school? This feels absurd and greedy but before I complain I wanted to see if this is done anywhere else.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:09 pm
It sounds like the PTA will be sponsoring events throughout the year, that are funded by the families that have joined the PTA. Like hot cocoa one morning or donuts on chanukah. That's my guess but I have no idea.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:36 pm
Yes. I think we are $25 per kid, with options to do a little more and give 50 or 72 per kid

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 11:55 pm
I'm not sure about private schools but in many public schools, that's very often done. You can choose to join or not, but if you join, you pay about 25 a year. I've happily done it with my kids in public school because hey, I'm not paying tuition. Smile They sponsor teacher appreciatioin week snacks for teachers, help organize fundraisers, sponsor school dances or events, that sort of thing. You can pay and not volunteer or you can volunteer but not pay.

I'd have no problem with it in a Jewish private school as long as it's optional. Charging tuition and then surprising everyone with $25 this and $50 that and $100 here and $75 there is obnoxious.

baltomom

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:00 am
In my kids' schools the PTA sponsors all sorts of things throughout the year. For example, they sponsor Sukkos projects, school trips, chagigos, etc. They have a few ways of raising money for these things; one is optional PTA dues from parents.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:08 am
Thank you. Feeling better that this isn't so unusual. Though with the crazy tuition they charge, I don't understand why they don't just include everything from the get go and stop nickel and diming us. This is coming up now, right when they are also separately asking for $ for Chanukah gift for teachers. $18 per teacher is being suggested. Each kid has 7-10 teachers. This is nuts.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 8:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. Feeling better that this isn't so unusual. Though with the crazy tuition they charge, I don't understand why they don't just include everything from the get go and stop nickel and diming us. This is coming up now, right when they are also separately asking for $ for Chanukah gift for teachers. $18 per teacher is being suggested. Each kid has 7-10 teachers. This is nuts.

It is NOT mandatory. Just skip if u aren't comfortable
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics