Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy-ish affordable treat?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:37 pm
Need something small and cheap for kids when they need a little treat. Needs to be individually wrapped, ideally safe for toddlers, and shelf stable.

Dum dums are small and cheap, but there are a lot of chemicals I'd prefer to avoid. Yum Earth pops are great but they are kind of expensive and I'm wondering if there are other alternatives. It doesn't need to be a candy specifically, I'd be okay with wafers or pretzels or something but those aren't cheap either.

I'm okay with sugar (it's a treat) but prefer no food coloring at the least.

Any ideas?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:42 pm
In case his helps, the yum earth pops are .15 each on Amazon now with the coupon on the page. I'm not sure you'll find anything individually wrapped for cheaper.

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:45 pm
https://seasonskosher.com/scarsdale/#!/hb/c/10387-0/c/10565-10387/c/10571-10565/he/

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:47 pm
Lizzie4 wrote:
https://seasonskosher.com/scarsdale/#!/hb/c/10387-0/c/10565-10387/c/10571-10565/he/

most of those are full of food coloring

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Bone wrote:
most of those are full of food coloring

Some aren't like the fruit patches

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:53 pm
-Fruit Leather
-Made Good has some good flavors of granola bars- chocolate drizzled, etc. and they go on sale sometimes
-Riice bars - they go on sale for 3/$1 every now and then

Also do healthier food here, and a lot of the healthier food is expensive, such as drizzlicious, kind bars, healthier chips, etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:55 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
In case his helps, the yum earth pops are .15 each on Amazon now with the coupon on the page. I'm not sure you'll find anything individually wrapped for cheaper.

Not sure which ones, but I found the 250 pack for $40 with subscribe and save. It's a decent price per pop but $40 on lollipops is !!!

You're probably right, it's the best option. But hard when a bag of dum dums is a little over $5 for 65!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 2:55 pm
The regular jewish supermarkets are full of such treats now.
I can list so many that have minimal ingredients
Look at ingredients.

You can get in Costco and traders joe also. And those fruit leathers from amazon.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 2:58 pm
amother Gold wrote:
The regular jewish supermarkets are full of such treats now.
I can list so many that have minimal ingredients
Look at ingredients.

You can get in Costco and traders joe also. And those fruit leathers from amazon.

I don't live in a frum area. I have someone who can bring sometimes, but I need to make an order online for them and can't pick up bags to look at ingredients.

I also can't get to a TJs or Costco easily, but if you have specific ideas I might make the effort.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 2:59 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Haddar-.....ss_tl

These are healthy. Much cheaper in local stores if you have access to

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 3:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Need something small and cheap for kids when they need a little treat. Needs to be individually wrapped, ideally safe for toddlers, and shelf stable.

Dum dums are small and cheap, but there are a lot of chemicals I'd prefer to avoid. Yum Earth pops are great but they are kind of expensive and I'm wondering if there are other alternatives. It doesn't need to be a candy specifically, I'd be okay with wafers or pretzels or something but those aren't cheap either.

I'm okay with sugar (it's a treat) but prefer no food coloring at the least.

Any ideas?
Quality chocolate is a lot healthier than the high fructose food coloring junk. Not super cheap, though. And safer for toddlers than taffies or hard candies. Also better for their teeth because melts away.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 3:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Not sure which ones, but I found the 250 pack for $40 with subscribe and save. It's a decent price per pop but $40 on lollipops is !!!

You're probably right, it's the best option. But hard when a bag of dum dums is a little over $5 for 65!

YumEarth Organic Fruit Flavored Pops, 50 Lollipops, Allergy Friendly, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Vegan, No Artificial Flavors or Dyes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....ss_tl

Of course it doesn't compare to prices of junk...

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 3:05 pm
Ive seen once chocolate chips in small bags. Dont know if they still sell those

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 3:07 pm
amother Ivory wrote:

Of course it doesn't compare to prices of junk...
Exactly. Quality, healthy food is not cheap. But worth it in the long run.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking