Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help with kid who got stitches

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:16 pm
My son got stitches on his chin 4 weeks ago. Taken out 3 weeks ago. I've been putting on ScarAway gel 2x daily (forgot for a few days but otherwise daily) and its still red and big line.

1. I dont want to go back to the Dr who did stitches bc it was an urgent care 20 minutes away

2. I don't want to shlep to pediatrician unless I have to (ped never saw him. He went from hatzalah call to urgent care)

3. Should I have bought the $70 prescribed scar cream or is scaraway fine (ingredients is silicone)

4. Is this normal to still be red

5. If he'll grow a beard how much do I have to worry about this

Thanks

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:19 pm
I would buy the best scar cream out there, regardless of the price, and be very diligent about applying it.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:40 pm
Next time go to a plastic surgeon if anything on the face. Try vitamin E or anything prescription. Hatzlocha

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:42 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Next time go to a plastic surgeon if anything on the face. Try vitamin E or anything prescription. Hatzlocha

I was going the say the same.

SYA

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:44 pm
The plastic surgeon told me to put on vitamin E oil and rub in circular motion gently daily. My child BH doesn’t have a scar.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:45 pm
Vitamin E is amazing but you also have to protect the scar from the sun

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:53 pm
I don't know about the redness now but protect from the sun!!!! Put on sunscreen before going out.

My daughter cut close to her eye as a toddler, the first 3 years I was so careful with sunscreen, always had a spray with me and would do it each day in the summer before going to school or going out. Unfortunately the urgency stopped and a few months later was when I started to notice the scar, you could hardly see it before.

I don't think he can grow a beard on the scared skin, the hairs from close by will need to cover the area.
I could be wrong, I don't have experience

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:54 pm
My kid had stitches a year ago and I never put the stuff on. Is it too late? Feeling negligent and ashamed. Sad

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:13 pm
In general kids with darker skin heal better from scars.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:40 pm
Vitamin E oil and soem scar cream religiously for a few months.

The scar will fade, redness for a few months is normal and you will start to see it getting lighter and less inflamed.

Under the chin is not usually glaring (unless was a botch job which this was not),and it will prob not be very noticeable down the line (I feel like every other person has a scar there, lol).

Def use plastic surgeon on face but that does not mean that whomever you used did not do a good job. They might have done just as well.

Just use the vit E and whatever other scar creams you'd like and it will fade with time and you will (hopefully) realize soon that you are not noticing it anymore.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son got stitches on his chin 4 weeks ago. Taken out 3 weeks ago. I've been putting on ScarAway gel 2x daily (forgot for a few days but otherwise daily) and its still red and big line.

1. I dont want to go back to the Dr who did stitches bc it was an urgent care 20 minutes away

2. I don't want to shlep to pediatrician unless I have to (ped never saw him. He went from hatzalah call to urgent care)

3. Should I have bought the $70 prescribed scar cream or is scaraway fine (ingredients is silicone)

4. Is this normal to still be red

5. If he'll grow a beard how much do I have to worry about this

Thanks

Always always go to a plastic surgeon for stitches on the face. Can’t tell you how many thousands of dollars I’ve paid out of pocket over the years for that
The scar can take 6 months or more to go away- that’s extremely normal
You should be using the binding tape even after bandages are not needed anymore

mfb

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 4:04 pm
Keep covered with a bandaid to protect from sun

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:30 pm
Maxillofacial surgeon told us 2 years out of the sun. Be diligent about sunscreen and/or covering with a bandaid and/or a hat. DD had a nasty fall on her face and all the scars are gone, except maybe one very small fine line if you know where to look (and recently, I haven't seen it all). Same for a second degree burn on chin, barely there after a few months, we are so careful to keep it covered from the sun.

So really, be careful about the sun protection, we even sent dd to school with extra sunscreen and bandages so she could reapply during the day.

Refush shleimah!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:47 pm
Okay I know about using a plastic surgeon. Hatzolah member who's also family suggested that person who's supposed to be good (ie I didn't just walk into a random urgent care)

It's kind of in the fold between lip and chin so re sun it's a little shaded there. Do I really still need sunscreen or bandaid daily? Also now it's winter and they're indoors the whole day.

Vitamin E is just a regular oil? I should alternate with the scar cream? I'm getting anxious about this.

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:55 pm
OP do not feel bad about not using a plastic surgeon. I used to use one, a top top plastic surgeon who people travel to use and has an incredible reputation and the scars are no better than the dermatology PA I started using when I couldn’t afford his prices. It’s normal to scar after stitches with or without a fancy doctor. If you want it to get smaller, time definitely helps but massaging it will promote the most healing. We were told to use palmers cocoa butter by a scar therapist and the more time spent massaging the better.
Just putting on scar cream, even the expensive ones from the doctor does very little in my eperience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics