Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Microwave - kashrut question

TAPS

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 6:37 am
Do you use your microwave for both milchigs and fleishigs? If yes, how?

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 6:40 am
I don't. The people I know who do always cover whatever goes in (so that it stays clean and not spattered). And I think maybe they also boil a glass of water in between milchigs and fleishigs. Not sure.

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 6:41 am
Yes. I have "venting" containers which means that the most that escapes is steam (from the little hole in the top of the lid). Then I just wipe down the microwave from the condensation.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 6:47 am
If I do, I kasher it in between with boiling a glass of water till it goes over and then moving the glass and doing it again. This is of course, after scrubbing out the entire thing.

But, since this is a huge pain, it's usually milchig.

TAPS

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 6:50 am
Marion wrote:
Yes. I have "venting" containers which means that the most that escapes is steam (from the little hole in the top of the lid). Then I just wipe down the microwave from the condensation.

Do you have venting covers for both milchigs and fleishigs? Is it enough to use that even though steam escapes?
And are you worried about microwaving plastic?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 6:52 am
From what I understand, the steam is the whole problem. If you want, double wrap so NO steam escapes. But you should ask your LOR. Some don't allow this at all.

baba

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 7:00 am
I do like Marion and we have covers for both (nothing goes in uncovered) and clean the glass plate in between, which we consider to be treif. This is what our rav told us to do.

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 8:37 am
TAPS wrote:
Marion wrote:

Do you have venting covers for both milchigs and fleishigs? Is it enough to use that even though steam escapes?
And are you worried about microwaving plastic?

They're not venting covers, they are lids fitted to the specific container with a vent in them. Since my Rav uses the venting covers (just the little plate covers with holes), I figure mine are just fine.

And no, I'm not worried about microwaving plastic. My containers are designed to be microwaved, as long as it's not on "high".

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 8:41 am
baba wrote:
I do like Marion and we have covers for both (nothing goes in uncovered) and clean the glass plate in between, which we consider to be treif. This is what our rav told us to do.

How can you cook on something that's treif? (I'll leave out the emoticon)

TAPS

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 8:45 am
Mimisinger wrote "How can you cook on something that's treif? (I'll leave out the emoticon)"

I assume this is similar to the stove top and the racks in the oven. We don't put food directly on it because its considered "treif".

mommy24

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 8:52 am
we were told to use ours for either milchig or fleishig not both.

that being said, we used to use it for both and kasher in between with a glass of water- ladies PLEASE be very careful when doing this- I have heard of stories where the glass shattered after- I believe I was told to let the glass stay there for a long time before opening up the microwave. Just be careful please.

baba

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 8:58 am
I was talking bout the glass plate in the microwave, I dont put the food on that, sorry I wasnt clear.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 9:05 am
We rarely have meat in the house, but we do sometimes use the microwave to warm up meat we've brought in. We clean it thoroughly, boil a glass of water and then wipe it out again, using the steam.

I read one site where they recommended boiling the water for over a half hour. I'd be afraid the glass or bowl or whatever would get super-heated and explode.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 9:38 am
TAPS wrote:
Mimisinger wrote "How can you cook on something that's treif? (I'll leave out the emoticon)"

I assume this is similar to the stove top and the racks in the oven. We don't put food directly on it because its considered "treif".

So how do you put the food on it if not directly?

TAPS

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 9:51 am
amother wrote:

you put a bowl or a plate in. That sits on the glass. You don't put a slice of pizza for example directly on the glass.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 4:38 am
Did you people know that it's considered unhealthy to microwave plastic? Carcinogens (supposedly) get released. I try not to nuke stuff on plastic plates. Only paper plates or real dishes.

TAPS

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 4:45 am
That's why I was wondering how to use it for both milchigs and fleishigs, if the plastic coverings are bad for you.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 4:55 am
Saran wrap is BAD to use because it touches the food but a plastic cover that doesn't touch may not matter...

amother

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 5:05 am
TAPS wrote:
amother wrote:

you put a bowl or a plate in. That sits on the glass. You don't put a slice of pizza for example directly on the glass.

No one puts it directly on the glass anyway. Otherwise you would have to wash the glass every single time.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 7:41 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Did you people know that it's considered unhealthy to microwave plastic? Carcinogens (supposedly) get released. I try not to nuke stuff on plastic plates. Only paper plates or real dishes.
I only microwave on my dishes, glass or paper. Not plastic. I cover things only wax paper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen