Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
I can not pick a name for my newborn.
Previous  1  2

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 8:28 am
You’re not able to choose a name because somewhere you got this idea that when you have a baby a malach will whisper a name in your ear.
Say goodbye to that thought, it isn’t true, you’re not going to hear any whisper.
Now you and dh are free to choose a name.
Our top priority is naming after someone we loved or admired. You might have something else that’s important to you. It’s not that hard to find a name you like once you realize you’re choosing the name, not hearing it from anyone else.

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 1:22 pm
I find your baby grows into their name. You choose a name that either you like the sound of, is meaningful for personal, emotional or any other reason, whether it's named after someone, or it isn't. And you name them. And sometimes you might second guess that decision even once you've named your baby. And that's normal.
Some people seem to magically know that that was the perfect name for their child, but many of us choose a name that we may be unsure about at first.
And at first the name seems too big for your tiny little baby, but someday you look at them and realize that they and their name fit.

newinbp

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 3:04 pm
Op what did you name your sweet baby? Mazal Tov!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:56 am
newinbp wrote:
Op what did you name your sweet baby? Mazal Tov!

Thank you so much! I didn’t pick a name yet actually

Raindance

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 4:38 am
How old is she?

Is there a name that you like?

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 4:40 am
Instead of picking a name that fits her, pick a name that you want her to fit and/or grow into. That's what we did (our daughters' names are some of the suggestions below).

Like if you want her to be a happy person, give a name that means happiness (Gila, Rina, Ditza, Chedva, Avigail)

Or if you want her to have a strong relationship with Hashem (Emunah, Batya, Aviya, Eliana, Anael, Elisheva)

If you want her to spread light in life (Orly, Ora, Leora, Meira, Tair)

Or if you want her to be like a specific person from Tanach (Sarah, Rivka, Rachel, Leah, Yocheved, Miriam, Esther, Rut, Devora, Yael)

If you want her to sweet and good (Tova, Naama, Temima)

Or if there is an animal or plant that you feel has qualities or beauty that you want her to be like (Tamar/Tamara, Hadas/Hadassah, Tsipora, Yona/Yonit)

If you want her to bring renewal, like the dew or otherwise (Tchiya, Tal, Avital, Talya, Tali)

If you want her to be grateful to Hashem and others (Hallel, Tehila, Hodaya, Odeliya, Odeya, Todaya)

Or if you want her to kind and friendly to those around her (Yedida, Reut, Nechama, Ruchama)

Raindance

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 4:45 am
I think you are overthinking the responsibility of giving a name. By researching the names, you might jut always feel like you're not giving a fair chance to the baby by giving an imperfect mazal/meaning.

I would suggest to go in then opposite direction. Take a name you thought about in the beginning, DO NOT look at the meaning and life story of the original person. Once or twice a day call her by that name while picking her up or feeding or changing her.

See how that feels.

It's like a shidduch. You don't always get the fireworks and blinking lights. Sometimes its just about it not being too strange and incompatible. The connection can grow afterwards.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:01 am
Have you narrowed it down?

Can we help further?

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:55 pm
If it helps my parents couldn’t pick a name for me until I was probably 3 weeks old, just couldn’t decide I think Wink
Hatzlacha and I wish you full feelings of nechama and happiness with whatever name u choose!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names