Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
WFH with newborn
Previous  1  2

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:11 pm
From an attachment and development perspective, sleeping in a carrier while you work is wayyy preferable to getting a babysitter at that age.

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:23 pm
I had my twins napping on their backs in bassinets or right next to me on blankets and mattresses on the floor on their backs. Not on tummies and definitely never let them fall asleep in carriers. A 40 min nap not on you is preferable to a longer nap getting used to napping on you in my opinion. As infants with 3 naps a day I got plenty done. Was more productive with work then than I am now that they're teens. 😉

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:39 pm
tichellady wrote:
Very few newborns nap for long periods in a bassinet. Mine did not. Only contact naps or naps outside

Good to know this is normal! I feel like I'm being gaslit by everyone claiming that newborns sleep all the time when mine doesn't

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:42 pm
amother Red wrote:
I brought my kids to work with me until they were between 9 and 11 months. I used a portable swing, carriage, and baby mat. Constantly nurses. When they started crawling around all over I sent or a babysitter as long as they were on some sort of solids.

Piggybacking here- did they also have bottles? My 8 month old eats solids but won’t take a bottle I’m wondering if I’d be able to leave her for 5/6 hours without nursing soon

singleagain

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Good to know this is normal! I feel like I'm being gaslit by everyone claiming that newborns sleep all the time when mine doesn't

If they are not trying to convince you that your newborn (who you know is not sleeping) is also sleeping. It's not gaslighting.

It's annoying, and unhelpful. But not gaslighting

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:46 pm
amother OP wrote:

Every baby is different. My previous one slept for 2 hours at a time in the carriage multiple times a day. I was so productive. I was able to work from home without a problem (I am my own boss).
My current baby is 4 months old and he's just not a great sleeper from the day he was born. On the rare days he sleeps 2-3 hours in a row I marvel at how normal I suddenly feel. I get so much done.
I cut down my work drastically (b"h can afford to) because I just can not get work done normally and I'm not sending him to a babysitter.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 1:28 pm
I bought a crib on rockers and rocked with a foot while working. I did this for 8 kids. I keep them home until they're 18 months or not sleeping during the day.

Brit in Israel

Post Sat, Dec 09 2023, 5:52 pm
I find the bassinet of a stroller the best, you can have them near you and rock them to sleep if needed and when they start to wake, often they will go back to sleep if its after a short nap.
They also get used to sleeping in a stroller and can take naps when you are out the house.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 8:31 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
I find the bassinet of a stroller the best, you can have them near you and rock them to sleep if needed and when they start to wake, often they will go back to sleep if its after a short nap.
They also get used to sleeping in a stroller and can take naps when you are out the house.

Will try the stroller again. She didn't seem to like it in the beginning.

I realized that the reason she doesn't sleep long alone is because she is very restless in sleep, lots of moving around, and wakes herself up. Whereas if I'm wearing her, it's a tighter hold and she doesn't wake up.

I think I will wear her for one nap and try to do as much as I can then, and then aim for solo naps the rest of the day.

leilatov1

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 9:05 am
So why not try swaddling her (unless she can roll of course!)?

Sebastian

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 9:17 am
Swaddle her tightly

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 9:19 am
amother OP wrote:
I have this one:
https://a.co/d/bNAxcG2

What’s wrong with the baby napping in the carrier? It’s great for multi tasking. And it also is good to prevent flat head. Just make sure baby can breathe. And hopefully at nights baby can use bassinet.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:00 am
leilatov1 wrote:
So why not try swaddling her (unless she can roll of course!)?

I do. We have two different swaddles, one of which she manages to get her hands out. I'm trying the tighter one as we speak, so it might make a difference.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:01 am
amother Yellow wrote:
What’s wrong with the baby napping in the carrier? It’s great for multi tasking. And it also is good to prevent flat head. Just make sure baby can breathe. And hopefully at nights baby can use bassinet.

Yep, BH she's been really good about nights so far.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics