Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hypoallergenic earrings

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:36 pm
Hi, new to earrings.
Got my dds ears pierced and was told to only buy or use real gold earrings as I have relatives with allergies to reg metal

1) is hypoallergenic good enough?

2) would you trust earrings on Amazon listed as hypoallergenic to be hypoallergenic?

Thsnkx in advance for helping a clueless mom!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:43 am
My daughter can only wear silver or gold hoops (her ear gets infected with studs and any other material). I ordered silver huggie hoops for her on amazon. Turns out only the post was silver. The side of hoop touched her ear and was not silver and within a day or 2 her ear was oozing. So make sure, that if the earring itself is touching the ear, it's also the material you are looking for.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:46 am
No, anyone can wrote hypoallergenic if they want. It doesn't mean anything. If possible, read reviews. Also there is a certain amount of metals that can be mixed in and it's still considered gold/silver, so it's hard to know. If all else fails, one of my kids did very well with plastic earrings. Having a family member with a metal allergy really doesn't necessarily mean anyone else will. I have one with a metal allergy (still not sure which metal) and a whole bunch without.

ETA my allergic dd actually has hoops from Claire's now that she loved so I was willing to try. They're sterling silver and she has not reacted to them at all!

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:55 am
You can try clear nail polish over the posts. But having family members with metal allergies doesn't mean your daughter will be allergic. One of my sisters is highly allergic to metals but no one else in the family is. She reacted even to gold earings as a baby and had to get re-pierced when she was older.

First find out if your daughter is actually allergic though.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:58 am
amother IndianRed wrote:
You can try clear nail polish over the posts. But having family members with metal allergies doesn't mean your daughter will be allergic. One of my sisters is highly allergic to metals but no one else in the family is. She reacted even to gold earings as a baby and had to get re-pierced when she was older.

First find out if your daughter is actually allergic though.

Thanks
How do you find out? trial and error?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:35 am
Ironically, I know someone who discovered she’s allergic to gold. Got her ears pierced with the more expensive gold earrings that were offered and her ears only healed when she switched over to silver. Stainless steel also is fine for her.

Edited for spelling.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks
How do you find out? trial and error?

How old is she?

You could do allergy testing or depending on her age, you could do trial and error. If her ears have already fully healed from the piercing you could see how she reacts with
different types of earrings or jewelry if she's old enough for that. With my sister, it was obvious since she was a baby. She reacted to metal snaps on her pajamas. When she was older, she couldn't wear watches without using clear nail polish on part that touched her skin.

bsy

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 9:43 am
I found the brand little miss twinstars (Amazon or their own site) did not infect my daughter's ears after other brands did.

just wondering

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:37 pm
why would one ear ooze and the other not? my daughter

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 7:39 pm
just wondering wrote:
why would one ear ooze and the other not? my daughter

I had the same. No explanation I can offer you, but know that it's not unusual. Hoops really helped.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:11 pm
Why did hoops help?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:12 pm
bsy wrote:
I found the brand little miss twinstars (Amazon or their own site) did not infect my daughter's ears after other brands did.

Thank you

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 5:03 pm
the brand Simply Whispers is hypoallegenic and very good quality. they also sell a gel for cleaning that's really helpfu
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics