Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What is this candle for?
Previous  1  2

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:40 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Why can't you blow it out? You light, blow out the match/candle, and make the bracha.

It's brought down, I believe in Kabbalah, not to blow out a match - we wave it out or when using the tzinder, just push down the candle into the tzinder and it goes out.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:29 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
How do you light candles?
With a match and then put it down to burn like on a second day yt?

After I light, I put the still-burning match in a little metal cup or dish I use just for that. Then I say the brocha. The match burns out by itself. I don't put it out. The cup is fireproof. Some might use a little box that has a cover, for after it burns out by itself.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 11:01 pm
I wave the match out. Something about not blowing out neshomos or something...

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 11:36 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I wave the match out. Something about not blowing out neshomos or something...

If I remember correctly, presumably sheidim are created when flames are blown out. Obviously we can’t really understand this but many people hold not to blow them out, but to put them out in other ways.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 11:49 pm
I use a silver lighter my kids always fight who will blow out the candle ...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 3:40 am
zaq wrote:
It's a useless fancy tshotschke. Apparently the intent is, aside from creating brand-new useless gifts for people to waste their money on, to extend your reach and enable you to light very tall candles or candles on a high shelf or in the back row or all seventeen of your candles or to be used by you and all your daughters and guests without having to strike more than one match. Seems like an incredible waste, matches being cheaper.

You could:
1. save it to use on Chanuka, if you don't mind that it says Shabbas on it. On Chanuka you can extinguish the "tzinder" after all.
2. Wait till someone gives you a matching one and then light both for a special Shabbat when you know you're going to be up an extra long time, maybe when the Seder is on Friday night. 3. Regift it and let the next person wonder what on earth it's good for.
4. Give it to your children's school PTA for their annual raffle or mystery sale.

FTR, though: you ARE allowed to extinguish the flame you use for lighting, before you make the bracha. The following is from https://torah.org/torah-portio.....rach/

It is permitted to extinguish the flame after lighting candles as long as one does so before reciting the blessing of le-hadlik ner shel Shabbos. Although Shulchan Aruch does note the custom of “some” women who are careful not to put out the flame after lighting candles,(7)this custom no longer applies today when all women(8)recite the blessing over the candles after kindling them. Since Shabbos does not begin until after the blessing is recited, there is ample time to blow out the flame before reciting the blessing.(9)

Therefore, the fancy "tzinder" candle does not need to be allowed to burn down but can be used week after week. Would I myself do this? No, I would definitely regift. As you say, OP, you still have to light the Tzinder with a match, so unless you light on a very high shelf or light so many candles that you have to use more than one match, the Tzinder hardly seems worth the effort or the expense.

BTW, OP, I once got a Chanuka gift of a bottle of honey and a single skinny, skinny beeswax candle. I couldn't figure out what the candle was for. To warm the honey, maybe? No, it was a tzinder for Chanuka licht. Also a waste, because we use the shamash for that. However, this year I attended a gathering where a table was set up with two rows of menorahs, front and back, for everyone to light. They had a tzinder about 18 inches long which was actually useful, as the menorahs in the back row were a little hard to reach with a match if one's arms weren't especially long.

Just as a sidenote, why are so many imamothers referring to the Chanukkia as a menora? The menora had seven branches in bet hamikdash. In modern Hebrew it's always a Chanukkia what's used for chanukka.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 3:47 am
zaq wrote:
It's a useless fancy tshotschke. Apparently the intent is, aside from creating brand-new useless gifts for people to waste their money on, to extend your reach and enable you to light very tall candles or candles on a high shelf or in the back row or all seventeen of your candles or to be used by you and all your daughters and guests without having to strike more than one match. Seems like an incredible waste, matches being cheaper.

You could:
1. save it to use on Chanuka, if you don't mind that it says Shabbas on it. On Chanuka you can extinguish the "tzinder" after all.
2. Wait till someone gives you a matching one and then light both for a special Shabbat when you know you're going to be up an extra long time, maybe when the Seder is on Friday night. 3. Regift it and let the next person wonder what on earth it's good for.
4. Give it to your children's school PTA for their annual raffle or mystery sale.

FTR, though: you ARE allowed to extinguish the flame you use for lighting, before you make the bracha. The following is from https://torah.org/torah-portio.....rach/

It is permitted to extinguish the flame after lighting candles as long as one does so before reciting the blessing of le-hadlik ner shel Shabbos. Although Shulchan Aruch does note the custom of “some” women who are careful not to put out the flame after lighting candles,(7)this custom no longer applies today when all women(8)recite the blessing over the candles after kindling them. Since Shabbos does not begin until after the blessing is recited, there is ample time to blow out the flame before reciting the blessing.(9)

Therefore, the fancy "tzinder" candle does not need to be allowed to burn down but can be used week after week. Would I myself do this? No, I would definitely regift. As you say, OP, you still have to light the Tzinder with a match, so unless you light on a very high shelf or light so many candles that you have to use more than one match, the Tzinder hardly seems worth the effort or the expense.

BTW, OP, I once got a Chanuka gift of a bottle of honey and a single skinny, skinny beeswax candle. I couldn't figure out what the candle was for. To warm the honey, maybe? No, it was a tzinder for Chanuka licht. Also a waste, because we use the shamash for that. However, this year I attended a gathering where a table was set up with two rows of menorahs, front and back, for everyone to light. They had a tzinder about 18 inches long which was actually useful, as the menorahs in the back row were a little hard to reach with a match if one's arms weren't especially long.

I agree with you, it's another gift to be regifted:)
My concern would be if it's allowed to burn a candle on Shabbos and the letters שבת get destroyed in the process...

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:05 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Just as a sidenote, why are so many imamothers referring to the Chanukkia as a menora? The menora had seven branches in bet hamikdash. In modern Hebrew it's always a Chanukkia what's used for chanukka.

We're not all Israeli, or Hebrew speaking people. In my circles, I've never heard Chanukkia be used. We use the lashon kodesh word, "menorah". "The Menorah" had 7 branches in the beis hamikdash. "A menorah" is different that "The Menorah", and can have any amount of branches.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:12 am
yidisheh mama wrote:
We're not all Israeli, or Hebrew speaking people. In my circles, I've never heard Chanukkia be used. We use the lashon kodesh word, "menorah". "The Menorah" had 7 branches in the beis hamikdash. "A menorah" is different that "The Menorah", and can have any amount of branches.

Tnx for explanation Smile
When in Israel people will point it out it's a Chanukkia Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:14 am
Thank you to each of you for your replies and bonus we got an interesting discussion too.

kenz

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:17 am
In America it’s a menorah. No one uses chanukiah here.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:21 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Tnx for explanation Smile
When in Israel people will point it out it's a Chanukkia Smile

Not in mainstream chareidi circles
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics