Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Who is responsible for paying the gmach?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:02 am
I just made a simcha. Even though my budget was tiny, I hired a party planner because I become easily overwhelmed. As part of the job, she was responsible for getting all table settings including tablecloths. I paid her one fee for all her services, including the price of all goods she purchased. Everything was included in the price.
She got the tablecloths from a gmach and returned them. I got an email from the gmach saying I need to make a minimum 50 dollar donation for using the services. While I am grateful for their service, I believe the party planner should be responsible for paying. I paid her a fee for everything amd assumed that covered all costs. The extra fifty dollars is a lot for me.
What do you think?

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:04 am
If you both agreed that the money you gave her was to pay for her services plus all the things she buys, then it would seem that she is responsible to pay the Gemach.

Edit: but also, if you tel the Gemach you can’t afford it they may let it slide. They are supposed to be a Gemach after all… which stands for gemillas chessed.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:05 am
If her fee included the price of all party supplies then she should.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:05 am
She gave me a final price. For all her services and goods. I am very upset now to add this fee.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:10 am
Did you contact the party planner
Perhaps it was an oversight from the Gemach to contact you.
BTW- why did the planner leave your contact info instead of hers.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:10 am
I’d forward the email and say I think they meant to send this to you.

Did she even say she won’t be buying them? If she didn’t discuss you being responsible for the fee then she got it she needs to cover it.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:11 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Did you contact the party planner
Perhaps it was an oversight from the Gemach to contact you.
BTW- why did the planner leave your contact info instead of hers.

Seems like bait and switch I hope not…

ddmom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:19 am
In lakewood party planners are not allowed to borrow from tablecloths gemach so customers are responsible to borrow from simcha gemach.
I think this rule makes sense or else there would be nothing available for anyone making a simcha.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:42 am
Yeah I think it’s on you. General custom is that the baal Simcha needs to pick up and drop off from the Gemach (at least here in Queens). Same reason as Lakewood.

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:49 am
She's a paid professional. Why is she borrowing from a gemach? And why would she give your contact info? That's what would annoy me the most. She has no right to do that.

She should have her own supplies and items.
If she went to HomeGoods and bought serving bowls she wouldn't charge these to you separately. They're a cost of doing business.
You paid her a flat fee for the entire party. This is on her.

Tanya1234

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:18 am
I think it’s on you.
Unless she charged a hefty sum and took the cheap way out by going to a gemach.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:22 am
Tanya1234 wrote:
I think it’s on you.
Unless she charged a hefty sum and took the cheap way out by going to a gemach.

Why? The charge was supposed to include all costs. If she wanted op to pay she would have to ask her, inform her at the very minimum.

Op did you ask her? It can just be a mistake.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:27 am
I don't see any reason why you would have to pay.

How does that make sense?

OP paid the party planner to get all that she needs, and she did. Why is OP now having to pay extra for what party planner got?
And I really don't understand why she left OP's contact info! Sounds sneaky.
I would contact the party planner.
Also- party planners in general have their own tablecloths, she sounds like not such a great party planner.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 1:20 pm
I would tell the gemach directly that you did not borrow the tableclothes, the party planner Mrs So and so did. And offer her contact info.
You didn't tell her to go to the gemach for tablecloths you paid her to take set the room with tablecloths. She decided to go the gemach route, she's responsible to pay the fee just as she would if she bought them or rented them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries