Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Financially responsible?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:50 am
Based on the many threads I've seen, I'm curious what people think.
I'm newly married, my first time living on a budget, keeping house, cooking etc. (I technically knew how to do these things but never lived it before.)
We are living on a combination of support, my salary and DH kollel check, living in Jerusalem. This doesn't include flights back home for yom tov, that we try rent out our apartment to cover but that isn't a guarantee.
We looked for a long time for a reasonably priced apartment but couldn't find something so are paying more expensive as we needed to just take something. We signed for a year.
In the beginning I did a fair bit of takeout, as I wasn't managing well. Now I've built up a freezer stock so very rarely get takeout, very rarely eat out. I buy lunch sometimes. No meat during the week, sometimes on Shabbos. Chicken, fish, ground meat each day for dinner. I don't want to stress about food bills when we are managing to cover them but I'd also love to add to savings (from single days) for a down payment.
I'm curious if people think I'm being financially irresponsible by living a lifestyle that's more comfortable and not saving anything.
(Based on what I've been reading on previous threads).

Also, I'd love some easy, stress free budgeting tips because of it's easy for me I'll do it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:59 am
You should be trying to save now because your expenses are the lowest. Also its good to get in the habit of saving. Life is only going to get more expensive with kids. Sounds like you are being financially responsible.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:02 am
Sounds like you are being responsible, but as the previous poster said, life will only get nore expensive. Wating chicken, fish, and ground beef is not the most frugal choice and might not be sustainable long term as your family grows. Comfortable today might mean struggling a lot later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics