Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Need chizzuk - fasting and cooking for shabbat

Rappel

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 4:09 am
There are a few reasons I could break the fast today, but I want to keep going if I can.

Give me chizzuk please? Shiurim are best.

Reality

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 4:31 am
Rabbi Breitowitz said in a shiur today, Asarah b'Tevet is the day Hashem decides if we are zoche for the Beit Hamikdash to be rebuilt this year.

I'm going to look for the link.

Reality

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 4:34 am
https://youtu.be/Oy61Tr3ASvY?s.....Z5cSt

Here's the link. If I remember correctly, he says this more towards the end. It's a great shiur.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 5:00 am
Torah Anytime has many good lectures whichever style you like.

Fasting because the Torah said so, is a mitzvah,& you get zcar for every minute of fasting, this thought alone keeps me going. (I did the cooking on Thursday).

Think about all the women who do the Intermittent fasting (many Jewish moms included) they do so for extended periods of time. Here you get a good shabbos meal after as well.

May the pain of fasting bring all yeshious including the ultimate Moshiach now.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 5:06 am
OP May you have Zchusim for this great mitzvah. Not easy but we will be Zoche to come to Yerushalayim soon! Good Shabbos and a healthy fast.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:26 am
No shiurim, but much sympathy!

I've lost track k of how many times today I've stopped myself tasting something, or automatically reaching for a drink while I was in the kitchen.

I'll share one thing I heard from Shani Taragin earlier in the week. This is the only gast that comes out on Friday, and if it came out on Shabbos we would also fast on Shabbos. That puts it into the same category as Yom Kippur. This year, the din on the clal was very harsh. So now, going into Shabbos fasting, we are in a similar position to Yom Kippur, and maybe can utilise the day to soften the din.

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:12 pm
Hm. I never developed the habit of tasting while cooking. What am I going to taste--raw chicken? Raw kugel batter? Soup that will make me fleishik? You've got to be kidding. Oddly enough, I like working with food while fasting. Must be my brain saying "I may not be able to eat, but at least I'm still having a meaningful relationship with food."

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:16 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Hm. I never developed the habit of tasting while cooking. What am I going to taste--raw chicken? Raw kugel batter? Soup that will make me fleishik? You've got to be kidding. Oddly enough, I like working with food while fasting. Must be my brain saying "I may not be able to eat, but at least I'm still having a meaningful relationship with food."

Oh, sweetie... you are a lucky woman.

Tasting usually means when it's cookied... a nibble of the smallest piece of fried chicken, just a corner of the kugel, taste the cholent to see if it needs more salt (it's usually cooked at that point), same for the dips that need cooking or salad dressings.

I hope no one tastes raw food.

If I didn't taste while cooking I'd be 30 lbs lighter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note