Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
"Frum influencer" promoting Xmas music
Previous  1  2  3  4

tweety1

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:27 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
I don’t know her well, but you’re saying she’s a disgrace for listening to Xmas music? Or she’s done other things .. bcs my mom listens to Xmas music and would never call her a disgrace

She's a disgrace that she's promoting it like that, and how she's acting anybody who calls her out on it. You wnat to listen to X Mas music in your dining room? Fine. But don't take it to a level she is. Sorry lady. What she is doing in a public manner is a disgrace.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:28 pm
singleagain wrote:
Not everyone holds that the word Christ is a bad word.

it's something about saying the name of a false G-d, a foreign G-d.

singleagain

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
it's something about saying the name of a false G-d, a foreign G-d.

Okay.. but still not something universal among all Jews.

In fact, anyone who watches any sort of media and decides "that's what all x are like" is ridiculous. I remember being very upset and in fact I still am annoyed that I never see myself represented in media. There are so few Jews like me in media... It always seemed to vacillate between totally secular Jew in name only. And extremely insular chasidish style Jew.... Very rarely do I see the modern Orthodox type of Jew I am... But do I complain about it... Not out of the blue.

If you really want to do something, about it... Do a reaction video and say "not all Jews" don't come here and complain.

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:37 pm
This thread makes me really sad.

I don't know which influencer you are talking about, but playing x-mas songs and promoting it IS NOT OK.

Just from reading all of the above, I agree she is a disgrace.

We are a holy nation and we should not take pleasure in something unholy. I don't care if it does or doesn't actually say the word. It's the idea as a whole.

Gut shabbos to all!

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:47 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:

I don't know which influencer you are talking about, but playing x-mas songs and promoting it IS NOT OK.

We are a holy nation and we should not take pleasure in something unholy. I don't care if it does or doesn't actually say the word. It's the idea as a whole.

Gut shabbos to all!

Although I tend to agree with this sentiment, particularly the promoting part (I mean if you want to listen to xmas music alone in your car or whatever that's between you and G-d and not really anyone else's business).... I don't think you can bash this person for not being holy enough without recognizing that this whole business of following influencers on social media isn't exactly the pinnacle of holiness either. Speaking loshon hora about someone, even much less so. So you can think whatever you want about this woman, but at the end of the day she has freedom of speech and you are all equally free to ignore her and spend your time on better things instead of bashing. It's easier, less stressful, and if acting properly is of big concern to you -- well, there's no contest.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:57 pm
So x-mas music is not okay, but publicly calling someone a disgrace is okay?
I got it. What a pleasant thread to read on a fast day.

tweety1

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:59 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
So x-mas music is not okay, but publicly calling someone a disgrace is okay?
I got it. What a pleasant thread to read on a fast day.

She can listen to whatever music she likes. What she is doing is a disgrace. How she is acting is a disgrace. Her attitude is a disgrace. Her behavior is a disgrace.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:05 pm
Promoting it?
If we’re talking about the same influencer she did NOT promote it.
She just said that she enjoys it.
I do too. As do many others I know. And if it’s not hymns there isn’t an actual problem halachically. It may be frowned upon though and that’s fine.

If you don’t like it leave. She’s right to block you from her side because you obviously don’t know how to leave her page on your own.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:11 pm
tweety1 wrote:
She can listen to whatever music she likes. What she is doing is a disgrace. How she is acting is a disgrace. Her attitude is a disgrace. Her behavior is a disgrace.

Your post is a disgrace. Major lashon hara she did nothing to you and you are talking about her and name calling her like this publicly so gross of you . You could just say simply, I do not agree with her without the nastiness.

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:14 pm
This is the kind of thread full of LH that surprises me by staying open.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:30 pm
singleagain wrote:

I thought it was halacha? Even Rambam doesn't refer to him by name

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:52 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Whoa!! Double uncalled for

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:54 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:

Gut shabbos to all!

She was NOT promoting it!! She said SHE enjoyed it. She didn't say you must, too, or every Jew must.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 10:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I never followed her. I occasionally check her page for her plus size clothing content and clearly, yesterday was a bad day to check.

Yes, everyone should do their own thing and should be left alone.

However, she initially asked on one of her story posts "what do you think?" And so I responded what I thought. She responded to me, essentially disagreeing that it's Xmas music since it's more about jingle bells etc. I responded again that I disagree and explained that she represents orthodox Jewish observance to 85K followers on instagram and 100K+ on tiktok and she is telling her followers that this is halachicly permissible when it likely is not. Then she blocked me.

A large part of her online presence is all about sharing with secular and non affiliated people what it's like to be an Orthodox Jew. It's one thing to say that listening to Xmas music is a guilty pleasure but she took it an entire step further by promoting a specific non Jewish singer's Xmas concert that she proudly attended and defending that her choice to do so is completely permissible in terms of Halachah.

Furthermore, the instagram account of a frum publishing company responded to her instagram reel with an 😢😢 emoji and this influencer bashed them on her page.

Again what is the point of telling us all this? I get that drama is fun, I follow lots of the nonjewish gossip but it's a real halachic issue when it comes to someone Jewish.

Debbie

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 11:01 am
amother Mint wrote:
Your post is a disgrace. Major lashon hara she did nothing to you and you are talking about her and name calling her like this publicly so gross of you . You could just say simply, I do not agree with her without the nastiness.

Mint Well said!

Debbie

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 11:17 am
amother Cerise wrote:
She was NOT promoting it!! She said SHE enjoyed it. She didn't say you must, too, or every Jew must.

That's what I understood from this influencer too, that she was simply expressing her opinion not giving an order.

Reality

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 11:36 am
singleagain wrote:

I would check with your LOR on that one. I can't imagine an Orthodox Rabbi saying it's ok to say JC's name in a song. It literally means mashiach, the anointed one. It's really not ok to say that casually in conversation either.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 12:53 pm
I am going to report my own post so that this whole thread which is terrible lashon hara will be closed or deleted.

There was absolutely NO reason for stsrting this post.

Shame shame shame.

Debbie

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 1:02 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I am going to report my own post so that this whole thread which is terrible lashon hara will be closed or deleted.

Shame shame shame.

I'm just surprised that this thread with too many loshon hora filled comments hasn't been shut down already!

essie14

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 2:50 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Shame shame shame.

I reported the OP on Friday.....doesn't seem it was even looked at yet
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics