Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Married camp staff - helpful info?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:03 pm
DH will be working at the camp. Kids, ages newborn to 15, will be at the camp's day camp or going as day campers to camp nearby.

Any camp staff families on here that have any helpful info or tips that could be useful for a first timer?

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:13 pm
What kind of info are you looking for? I think a lot of it will be camp specific (ie I’ll say bring your Betty Crocker but it will turn out your camp will a) serve the most delicious and plentiful food and b) won’t allow small appliances in your bungalow)

justmarried:)

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:15 pm
yeah try to connect with people at that specific camp

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:55 pm
Yes for specific info will need to network with the actual camp in terms of policies, specifics about food, laundry, shopping.

Think maybe looking for more general tips that can help the 2 months go more smoothly when DH is busy with job, on call most of the time etc... things that maybe wives/mommies found helped set things up well but that might be too specific per family also.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:27 pm
I’m the one working at my camp so I can’t help you much but I guess the main thing I’d say is to go with realistic expectations-both for you and your kids (meaning know that you will have a relaxing and fun summer but also will rarely see your husband or get any help from him with the kids…)

It’s really a wonderful opportunity for you and your kids, it should be with mazel!

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 1:04 am
Set certain times where he is off even for a few hrs a week where you can get coverage and have alone time. Worth it to schedule it and plan it. It’s hard never being off and never having uninterrupted time.
Set some boundaries for dealing with opposite genders. One or both of you will deal w that. Camp is a weird and intimate setting with work 24-7 and limited boundaries. I’ve seen not great things happen very not intentionally. Decide on some boundaries for yourselves. Even just for married women dealing with boy staff it’s important to have some boundaries.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 1:50 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
Set certain times where he is off even for a few hrs a week where you can get coverage and have alone time. Worth it to schedule it and plan it. It’s hard never being off and never having uninterrupted time.

Good luck with this, OP. As a married staff member, please go into this realistically so you don't have resentment when it doesn't happen. Do not guilt him into ripping himself in half. If you can't take the "on-call-24/7" job then don't do it.

amother Hyssop wrote:
Set some boundaries for dealing with opposite genders. One or both of you will deal w that. Camp is a weird and intimate setting with work 24-7 and limited boundaries. I’ve seen not great things happen very not intentionally. Decide on some boundaries for yourselves. Even just for married women dealing with boy staff it’s important to have some boundaries.

Such as? I'm awfully curious when this came up and how. What type of boundaries would you suggest implementing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 5:43 pm
This is type of info looking for- Thank you for these replies!

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:00 pm
Camp is such a nice experience!! We love it! If your cook is great then that's amazing. I tried to have one meal a day of my own healthier type of food. Your gonna be off schedule and kids will be off schedule.. roll with the punches! Have a blast!! It's our highlight of our year ;-)

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:07 pm
We love camp - like another poster said you just need to roll with the punches.
I don’t know what type of job your husband is doing - but I don’t have any expectations of my husband over the summer. He is ‘on call’ 24/7.
Food - we have a cook in camp but I do bring my Betty Crocker and toaster for when I feel I need to eat something healthy. I’ll roast veggies, cook salmon… very simple and basic.
Find out about the laundry system there. Might be easier to take to a laundromat 2x a week.
Also I don’t know your accommodations - but in general they aren’t too great! Just need to make the best of it and enjoy!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps