Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Things that make you think, wow they are really wealthy!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

imacoolmom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:38 pm
About the multiple homes I was rolling because my parents bought a second home with yerusha money from my grandfather ( my parents are not rich) and sometimes my mother complains that it’s such a pain to keep up 2 homes and we tease her you sound like a spoiled rich person.
The thing that sounds like wealth to me is someone just buying a new wig on a whim, or spending 6k on one like nothing.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:43 pm
My parents are not wealthy but give a large chunk of their maaser to sponsor a child's tuition in a kiruv school. This school used to have a Chinese auction and they always gave my family the equivalent of our donation in tickets.

It was the one night of the year that I felt wealthy as a child, it was a lot of work writing our names on hundreds of tickets (eventually they started giving sheets of labels instead) and then putting handfuls of tickets into prizes. Even after we were done we would still have tickets left over that we didn't know what to do with.

And no, in case you're wondering, we didn't win a prize every year (we did win a few times over my childhood)

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:47 pm
To me wealthy is having a full time live in nanny. That means babysitter whenever u want to go out, cleaning lady, someone to do the dishes and laundry. All you have to do is sit and play with your kids!! My dream! I'm always so busy with household errands that I have no time to sit and enjoy games with my children

foreverone

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:49 pm
Some people always have their wigs perfectly set. They most be wealthy to get it done so often. Mine always gets ruined in the rain/wind....
Perfect wig with lots of jewelry=wealthy

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:55 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Wallpaper. lol
I don’t know why, but when I see a house with fancy wallpaper, I’m just like wow these people have made it!

Why? Is wallpaper expensive?

ap

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:58 pm
When ppl buy real jewelry for a yearly gift , not a rare occasion

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:00 pm
When the Mikva is dedicated by you.
(Or you are one of the major donors for big organizations or are providing the matching for a campaign. Kol Hakavod and Tizku l’mitzvot!)

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:14 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
When the Mikva is dedicated by you.
(Or you are one of the major donors for big organizations or are providing the matching for a campaign. Kol Hakavod and Tizku l’mitzvot!)

Or when the Mikva is in your basement Wink

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:15 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Why? Is wallpaper expensive?
yes

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:16 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
Getting rid of a nice sofa because they are bored of it after a few months.

(I got lucky and bought it for 400 shekel. No clue why they wanted the money though lol. It probably cost 5k as did the new one.

Can I be friends with them too? Would love some great second hand stuff. We got two of my daughters beds that way for free. Stunning expensive pieces.

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:17 pm
[quote="amother Camellia"]When somebody doesn't have their couch against a wall.[/quote
Love this

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:18 pm
This struck me from my childhood:
A group of girls from NY were sitting and discussing their favorite restaurants, and everyone was naming the local eateries, until one girl piped up, "there's this cafe in Paris..."

Heard from a friend who teaches in a very rich school:
A family was renting the school auditorium to make their daughter's bat mitzvah. They called the school to ask if they can repaint the walls to match their color scheme. But don't worry, they'll paint it back after!

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:19 pm
Met someone from high school last week who I haven't seen in years. We were chatting about where a mutual friend moved to and she said "Oh my in laws just built a house there as an investment, they keep trying to give it to us or one of the other siblings but like it's not my dream neighborhood in Yerushalayim, it's a bit further out so why would I move there?"

Like someone is offering to GIVE you a house for free that probably cost millions and millions of shekels???? Can I be adopted? 😂

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:35 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Now *that* is indeed a deal in a life time! Smile
I know of a 2nd hand consignment shop where Israel's very rich women drop their staff to be resold. They don't get tons of money but even rich ladies like to get something for their stuff as opposed to give it to the cleaning lady. It's about the feeling of selling it and not being a 'freier' so to speak.

Where is this consignment shop?
I love thrift stores and havent found a good one here in jerusalem - is this Tel Aviv?

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:39 pm
foreverone wrote:
Some people always have their wigs perfectly set. They most be wealthy to get it done so often. Mine always gets ruined in the rain/wind....
Perfect wig with lots of jewelry=wealthy
m

These people have multiple shaitels.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:46 pm
People who can make a wedding/ marry off there kids without thinking, just decide what they want and go for it without looking at prices, and don't feel the difference

Even the very wealthy people I know with tons of property and investments think about money when they are making a wedding. Obviously the standards are different and way higher then mine, but people with enough cash flow to make a super fancy wedding without needing to think about it are at a whole different level.

People who can drop huge numbers of tzedaka or can be the matching campaigns matcher, seems to be another league.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 3:00 pm
When the family doesn’t have to work and when they give a lot of tzedakah

Almost everything else makes me think wow they like to spend money but I don’t know if they are actually wealthy

Like someone who redid their house 5 years after moving in

Or spends for clothing head to to for herself and her kids, golden goose Chloe Christian Dior chanel you name it

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 3:03 pm
I’m not wealthy
Comfortable, but not wealthy
But some of these things I do have

My living room has 2 sofas away from the wall
My closet is the size of a large bedroom.
My room is huge, fits 2 king size beds plus 3 night tables and a futon couch and still there’s tons of room leftover.
I live in a building. My building doesn’t have elevators that go directly to the apartment, but my friend (next building over) has that.
The newer buildings do.
I have vallet service, but that’s because there’s not enough parking space for everyone in my building. They bring up my groceries, if I want- because it’s free, just tip, I give them $2.

My apartment is 1800 sq ft- with my balconies 2200 sq ft.

We have a gym, pool, jacuzzi, play room, game room, and there’s a party room to rent out.

Yet- I can’t afford to exclusively shop at Jewish clothing stores. I buy most things on sale. I cringe when I see grocery prices, especially lately. I won’t pay more than $80 for a Shabbat dress or full outfit.
I do have older good jewelry pieces, but I also have some bijou stuff.

What I consider wealthy
Taking your whole family to a hotel resort all YomTovs and vacations.
That’s my dream where I can enjoy the family and not lift a finger
Permanently Living in the Waldorf Yerushalayim.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 3:15 pm
imacoolmom wrote:
About the multiple homes I was rolling because my parents bought a second home with yerusha money from my grandfather ( my parents are not rich) and sometimes my mother complains that it’s such a pain to keep up 2 homes and we tease her you sound like a spoiled rich person.
The thing that sounds like wealth to me is someone just buying a new wig on a whim, or spending 6k on one like nothing.

My parents also bought a summer home with a windfall. My mil is extra and she made it very fancy. However they can’t afford to upkeep it and when we go in the summer we buy almost everything including toilet paper and detergent.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 3:16 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:

My living room has 2 sofas away from the wall
My closet is the size of a large bedroom.
My room is huge, fits 2 king size beds plus 3 night tables and a futon couch and still there’s tons of room leftover.
I live in a building. My building doesn’t have elevators that go directly to the apartment, but my friend (next building over) has that.
The newer buildings do.
I have vallet service, but that’s because there’s not enough parking space for everyone in my building. They bring up my groceries, if I want- because it’s free, just tip, I give them $2.

My apartment is 1800 sq ft- with my balconies 2200 sq ft.

We have a gym, pool, jacuzzi, play room, game room, and there’s a party room to rent out.

How does it fit in 1800sq feet?
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics