Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Things that make you think, wow they are really wealthy!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:30 pm
Maybe I am comfortable but not rich. None of this impressed me. Most of it just seems silly.

As I said before, 1/2 million dollars (even 250K) tzedaka donations is when I think wow, I wish I had money I could drop like that.

I would love to buy an apartment in Yerushalayim like many of my friends or let my DD pick a wedding gown without looking at the price tag, but that’s not here or there. Maybe it’s because I believe I could do it if it was really really a priority to me. Furthermore, I think they are not needed and many people buy things that is not money well spent.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:34 pm
writinggirl wrote:
I really like this one and it makes me want to know more about you! Are you a designer, do you have a good eye for design or are you someone who likes reading about design and style? Did you notice this or is this a known thing in the design world?

I can think of billionaire families whose houses I've been in who have couches against their walls in their family rooms/dens but not in their formal living rooms.

The couch away from wall is common knowledge in design. Look at every single photo online for nice living rooms. You probably see it all the time in photos, you just didn’t realize.

The reason it shows wealth is because if you can allow yourself to do that, you obviously have a lot of space.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:36 pm
My in laws have a gorgous big house which they built a couple of years ago.

My sister in law complained "We need a new house, it's so old".

A different sis in law said that a day before her wedding, she realized she didn't have an updated camera so she can out and got herself one. ($500 worth)

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:37 pm
I’m taking all my 10 kids on an Alaskan cruise!

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:43 pm
Some of these examples aren’t comparable to others. It’s easy to take your family on a plane, even to Disney, and buy a designer coat, some might even go into debt for it or forgo other basic needs if it’s important enough. To me those are not examples of wealth. Maybe irresponsible spending but I know many people who live like this and aren’t wealthy.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:44 pm
amother Almond wrote:
How does it fit in 1800sq feet?

The amenities she mentioned are for the building, not exclusively in her apt I imagine.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:50 pm
Re-tile the dance floor of the hotel ballroom for their kids wedding.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:57 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
True stories :
When you buy your summer home with one months interest of your assets.
When you fly from London to your favorite restaurant in Brooklyn, and return right after dinner.
When you spend 100k on a bday party
When you sponsor an extended families trip to Israel for the Torah you’re givin in.

When you commission a private jet from the Swiss alps to attend a chuppah in Antwerp and come right back.

Oh my!!

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 5:06 pm
Someone that has no debt.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 5:08 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Some of these examples aren’t comparable to others. It’s easy to take your family on a plane, even to Disney, and buy a designer coat, some might even go into debt for it or forgo other basic needs if it’s important enough. To me those are not examples of wealth. Maybe irresponsible spending but I know many people who live like this and aren’t wealthy.

This

marvinkay

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 5:08 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
When somebody doesn't have their couch against a wall.

?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 5:37 pm
The really wealthy people I know are the ones who make purchasing decisions totally based on time and effort. Like, do I have time/ patience to arrange a new Sheitel/house/vacation, with the monetary cost being totally irrelevant. (Even with a designer/ travel, planner/ etc. It still takes effort.)

Well I guess there are levels of wealthy.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 5:51 pm
When I was a kid it was someone who had a pull out garbage and a fridge that was covered in matching wood of the cabinets.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 5:52 pm
lamplighter wrote:
When I was a kid it was someone who had a pull out garbage and a fridge that was covered in matching wood of the cabinets.

🤣

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:11 pm
Wealth is so subjective and relative though. Some or are posting about lifestyles here that are less than 1percent of people and aren’t even on my radar ever ever , while others post about a life that I currently live ( new car, several sheitals, cleaning help, big house etc) and I do not consider myself wealthy at ALL. It’s possible that where you live and your surroundings matter. I live in an affluent in town city where we are definitely not on the level of many.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:19 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
The really wealthy people I know are the ones who make purchasing decisions totally based on time and effort. Like, do I have time/ patience to arrange a new Sheitel/house/vacation, with the monetary cost being totally irrelevant. (Even with a designer/ travel, planner/ etc. It still takes effort.)

Well I guess there are levels of wealthy.

I do this in my regular not wealthy life. Time is money too.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:21 pm
My husband friend was telling me about his friend who has a problem, he is one hundred million liquid . He said it with a straight face to us. After words my husband and I were rolling because we got about $1000 extra and no investment.
I guess these people live in a different world.

Tao

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:23 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
When you hear that your SIL just decided last minute to go to Israel for the whole of Pesach to a full on 5* Hotel.

When they had their first barmitzva in the Waldorf Astoria in Yerushalayim (all flew in from NY) with a 5 day event and hired a chassidish chazan with a choir of boys to make the atmosphere. When you felt like a backwards idiot for only having 1 shabbos outfit and no manolo shoes when their 15 year old girls changed every 3 hours and had the 6 inch beige stilettos and the main topic of conversation for the women was how many sheitals they had brought with (5-8 was estimate)...

When your BIL facetimes you so the kids can speak and you realise they took an unplanned vacation to Thailand with a personal chef and their live in nanny (for their 1 kid) for a long weekend. Because why not.

When they say "I only fly first class if someone else pays, otherwise I fly business. Sometimes the chairs don't even fully recline" and you can't remember when you last had to renew your passport because that is how long it is since you went out of state for a vacation. Or had a vacation.

When you still live in a starter apartment 12 years down the line (and look after your in laws - their parents) while they live their best lives........

No I'm not bitter Wink

OK I hear a lot of things but I've never heard of someone bringing 8 sheitels for one shabbos. Or even owning 8 sheitels that they actually wear at one point in time. I mean, there aren't even enough days in the week.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:26 pm
Tao wrote:
OK I hear a lot of things but I've never heard of someone bringing 8 sheitels for one shabbos. Or even owning 8 sheitels that they actually wear at one point in time. I mean, there aren't even enough days in the week.

I know someone who owns more than 8 sheitels they actually wear. They have 2 houses and a bungalow so they keep some in each location…also I once saw them buy 2 sheitels in 1 day just because they happened to walk into a store, heard the owner’s sob story about their sick brother, and wanted to give them parnassah!

Tao

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:27 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
I know someone who owns more than 8 sheitels they actually wear. They have 2 houses and a bungalow so they keep some in each location…also I once saw them buy 2 sheitels in 1 day just because they happened to walk into a store, heard the owner’s sob story about their sick brother, and wanted to give them parnassah!

Well, chasdei Hashem I was only born with one head! LOL
Page 5 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics