Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Floortime therapy in Israel for beis medresh age son

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:41 am
Do any of the English speaking Floortime places work with 20 year olds? Do they have qualified frum male therapists? Could they accept American insurance or would be out of pocket and what is the cost? (Preferably Yerushalayim) thanks

Soupy

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 1:58 pm
Chevy Lapin may be able to direct you. (054 7997 879 -- before opening her psychotherapy practice, she worked for over 25 years as a DIR therapist). I have never met a male FT therapist, however. Please let me know if you discover one! Hatzlacha.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 2:03 pm
dance wrote:
Chevy Lapin may be able to direct you. (054 7997 879 -- before opening her psychotherapy practice, she worked for over 25 years as a DIR therapist). I have never met a male FT therapist, however. Please let me know if you discover one! Hatzlacha.

Lakewood has some great male floor-time therapists. Don't know if any of them work with young adults though. Actually never heard of a floortime therapist working with young adults. Live and learn.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 2:14 pm
What would a session look like for a floor time therapist on a 20 year old?
I have a 19 year old son with asd & you got my curiosity piqued

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:23 pm
Op, do you know what floor time is? Perhaps we can be more helpful if we have a better idea of what you're envisioning.

Soupy

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:46 pm
[quote="amother Melon"]What would a session look like for a floor time therapist on a 20 year old?

I think the age matters less than the developmental stage. FT therapists are always seeking to descern which DIR "milestone" the child is up to -- so as to work within it and help the child hone it and move on. So really -- at any age -- FT may look like "playing" with cars on the floor, pretending to be favorite characters, practicing diplomacy, or having a highly abstract convo.

The therapeutic approach, however, remains the same: Connection and co-regulation, waiting for the child to initiate, facilitating more and more circles of conversation, deepening of affect etc...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 6:57 pm
[quote="dance"]
amother Melon wrote:
What would a session look like for a floor time therapist on a 20 year old?

I think the age matters less than the developmental stage. FT therapists are always seeking to descern which DIR "milestone" the child is up to -- so as to work within it and help the child hone it and move on. So really -- at any age -- FT may look like "playing" with cars on the floor, pretending to be favorite characters, practicing diplomacy, or having a highly abstract convo.

The therapeutic approach, however, remains the same: Connection and co-regulation, waiting for the child to initiate, facilitating more and more circles of conversation, deepening of affect etc...

Yes, but OP called her son "Beis Medrash" age, so I'm guessing that he's somewhat cognitively on par. In which case floortime might not be the appropriate approach. Something along the lines of social thinking or theory of mind might be more appropriate.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 8:58 pm
Yes I don't imagine it will involve any time on the floor, rather the concept of building relationship awareness, social awareness with the idea used for Floortime. If anyone has done therapy like this at this age please let me know what it looked like for your son. Theory of mind type therapy as mentioned in a post above might also make sense . But really getting them to have an awareness that is missing. Is there a name for it? Which therapist would be skilled in this?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:21 pm
A psychologist or speech therapist.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:30 pm
Rabbi Bernstein in Lakewood is the Top floor time therapist anywhere… maybe see if he’ll do a zoom consult and help you figure out what kind of therapy your son needs?

Soupy

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 11:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I don't imagine it will involve any time on the floor, rather the concept of building relationship awareness, social awareness with the idea used for Floortime. If anyone has done therapy like this at this age please let me know what it looked like for your son. Theory of mind type therapy as mentioned in a post above might also make sense . But really getting them to have an awareness that is missing. Is there a name for it? Which therapist would be skilled in this?

I don't know about other models --, but Floortime does not need to be on the floor. It can be anywhere and at any time. The point is working with the individual at the milestone they are in a way that supports their capacities and helps them move on to the next...

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 12:24 am
Are you looking for floortime specifically or for an ASD therapist who works on social skills?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 1:43 am
You need a therapist who spealizes in ASD. I don't know if they'd accept American insurance. You want someone in Jerusalem? Do they need to be chareidi? Male? I can ask around for you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 1:00 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
You need a therapist who spealizes in ASD. I don't know if they'd accept American insurance. You want someone in Jerusalem? Do they need to be chareidi? Male? I can ask around for you.

I have a lead I'm pursuing. If I need someone else I'll let you know, I really really appreciate the offer.

Soupy

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 1:06 pm
OP -- I'd really appreciate hearing leads as well. Will you please share?

cupcake123

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 1:12 pm
Rabbi benstein in Lakewood maybe he would do virtual

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:08 pm
Soupy wrote:
OP -- I'd really appreciate hearing leads as well. Will you please share?

My lead was r Benstein although I don't think he works with older boys and I don't think he works over zoom. So if anyone has any other leads please continue to post
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)