Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Duvets and other unnoticed things that deserve appreciation

growingmum

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:19 pm
Noticing things in our lives with a perspective of gratitude is so helpful for our mental state, relationship with Hashem and general positive outlook..
I would like you to share something in your life that may seem insignificant, mundane or not even noteworthy that you can notice and become grateful for- as it makes a big difference.

I’ll start.. since hearing that many of the hostages were without duvets (a ‘comforter’ in America?) I really appreciate having my duvet each night- I feel so warm, safe and cosy under it after a long day..

Last edited by growingmum on Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:28 pm
Do you know that until I met my husband, I had never heard of a duvet? But I can appreciate the sentiment.

cbsp

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:33 pm
What a great thread.

Every time I take my kids (or myself) for a blood test we make sure to thank (in absentia) the person who invented the system that enables multiple vials to be drawn without multiple sticks. I can't imagine being poked successfully 6+ times!

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:38 pm
Every time I fill out a form at the doctor and it asks if I have any of the many diseases/problems and I get to answer no, I think bh! There are so many things that can go wrong and I’m so grateful to be healthy!

cla

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:40 pm
Yes. Every time I do my morning walk I thank Hashem. For my comfortable sneakers. For the balance and agility not to stumble even where the pavement is crooked. For my warm coat against the chill. For the non ice winter so far. For the ability to breathe deeply. That everyone made their busses today. That im healthy. I go back and forth between major and mundane thank yous and it's a phenomenal way to start the day with a healthy happy gratitude mindset.

growingmum

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 4:56 pm
Having warm water to wash in. I love having a warm bath at the end of the day. The soldiers aren’t able to wash and also when I was in aveilus I couldn't enjoy this simple pleasure..

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:08 pm
Thank you Hashem, that I was able to cook for shabbos today. Bh baked challah in my 2 ovens, cooked fish, soup and cholent in a comfortable kitchen!! Thank you Hashem, for my family that will enjoy it!

GLUE

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:18 pm
Being able to start my car

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:32 pm
Air condition/central heat
Yes I’m American. I’m sensitive to temperature changes and I’m so grateful

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:35 pm
Thank you Hashem for frozen food that cooks up quickly and tastes good. And for freezers!

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Black wrote:
Every time I fill out a form at the doctor and it asks if I have any of the many diseases/problems and I get to answer no, I think bh! There are so many things that can go wrong and I’m so grateful to be healthy!

Such a good idea, I'm going to try to start doing this! It's like a full itemized list of thank yous, for those privileged enough to check off no, no, no, no.

hodeez

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:37 pm
Every time I read an unfortunate thread here I thank Hashem for my good fortune

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:37 pm
growingmum wrote:
Noticing things in our lives with a perspective of gratitude is so helpful for our mental state, relationship with Hashem and general positive outlook..
I would like you to share something in your life that may seem insignificant, mundane or not even noteworthy that you can notice and become grateful for- as it makes a big difference.

I’ll start.. since hearing that many of the hostages were without duvets (a ‘comforter’ in America?) I really appreciate having my duvet each night- I feel so warm, safe and cosy under it after a long day..

I appreciate my duvet too!
I sruggle with insomnia/sleep anxiety, my duvet gives me in an emotional sense, not just physical warmth.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:40 pm
On the petty material comforts which I will limit to and not the higher spiritual ones. LOL

Yes, I love my down comforter as it is light and snuggly and truly comforting.

I appreciate my Toto washlet especially after a recent bout of gastroenteritis LOL

I love relaxing in my built in shower bench where it is warm and a bit steamy.

I appreciate my adjustable bed especially when I have arranged it perfectly and the down duvet has warmed me to the right snuggly temperature.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 6:02 pm
We all live better than medieval kings. We have indoor plumbing, running water, electricity, air conditioning, antibiotics, corrective lenses, immunizations, anesthesia, public transport or private automobiles, refrigeration, commercially available prepared foods, ice cream, fertility drugs and other interventions. We can easily buy foods from around the globe. We can have strawberries in December if we like. We can listen to music all day without ever going to a concert hall if we don't want to. We have access to more books than we can possibly read. (None of this would be the case if we lived in places like central Africa.)

We don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to milk our cows and bake bread for our families to have breakfast. We don't have to make our own clothes unless we want to. We don't have to worry that our landlord will seize our children to be slaves or indentured servants if we can't pay the rent.

We are allowed and in most cases encouraged to get an education. Most, though not all, of us, are permitted to study whatever we want, aren't barred from studying because we're women, and don't have to hide under a table or behind a door and eavesdrop on our brothers' lessons to learn anything.

I thank G-d every day that I don't live in Chad or Nigeria, where the life expectancy is only about 52, or in Sierra Leone, where the infant mortality rate is a whopping 80 per 1000 live births, or in Afghanistan, with or without the Taliban in control.

And we have the Jewish State of Israel, may G-d bless and preserve her, deliver her from evil, and grant her a swift and decisive victory over all her enemies.

growingmum

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 6:34 pm
zaq wrote:
We all live better than medieval kings. We have indoor plumbing, running water, electricity, air conditioning, antibiotics, corrective lenses, immunizations, anesthesia, public transport or private automobiles, refrigeration, commercially available prepared foods, ice cream, fertility drugs and other interventions. We can easily buy foods from around the globe. We can have strawberries in December if we like. We can listen to music all day without ever going to a concert hall if we don't want to. We have access to more books than we can possibly read. (None of this would be the case if we lived in places like central Africa.)

We don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to milk our cows and bake bread for our families to have breakfast. We don't have to make our own clothes unless we want to. We don't have to worry that our landlord will seize our children to be slaves or indentured servants if we can't pay the rent.

We are allowed and in most cases encouraged to get an education. Most, though not all, of us, are permitted to study whatever we want, aren't barred from studying because we're women, and don't have to hide under a table or behind a door and eavesdrop on our brothers' lessons to learn anything.

I thank G-d every day that I don't live in Chad or Nigeria, where the life expectancy is only about 52, or in Sierra Leone, where the infant mortality rate is a whopping 80 per 1000 live births, or in Afghanistan, with or without the Taliban in control.

And we have the Jewish State of Israel, may G-d bless and preserve her, deliver her from evil, and grant her a swift and decisive victory over all her enemies.

So very true

growingmum

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 6:53 pm
So many things about being Jewish eg shabbos and having a forced break from technology..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational