Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anxiety from falling off Jersey Care
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:06 pm
I’ve had Hatzlacha walking into the LRRC during walk In hours (check them before because they are closed at some point during the day).

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
TY!!!!!!!
Internet - Is actually home phone and internet. I work from home so need internet and also need to have a home phone for the kids. I really really want to get rid of the home phone but haven't figured out a way yet since the kids use it to call the hotlines, friends etc. and we don't do cell phones for kids

Health insurance- this is a high deductible obamacare plan. It's for the two of us and I believe it is the lowest available.

Van - no bussing so we pay for van. Even with paying I still have tons of carpools. This is for the carpools I simply can't do.

Eye care- This is glasses and exams for me and husband. My husband has a crazy high prescription and needs special lenses. That's not covered by insurance and is about $500 a year. Then glasses are not fully covered for my kids and all my kids need new glasses (we use old frames). It's not a per month expense - but I break it down to this.

Cell phone - will look into this.

Groceries- YES. I am going to start seriously dissecting my grocery bill. Off the bat I see noodle soups that I will no longer be buying. That alone is around $60 a month.

Repairs and maintenance- this is for home repairs and purchases that related to the home. Such as fridge broke, we needed a hamper, lawn care...

Here are my comments on this:

Internet - I still think you can get a lower priced plan. There are websites where you put in your requirements and they will price comparison for you.

For eyecare - try ezcontacts.com They have really well priced prescription glasses, even for complicated progressive lenses with ultra thin lenses. I have purchased glasses that would otherwise be 500+$ for around $300 (with a cheap simple frame)

Repairs and maintenance - I think you need to break down more what is needed. Yes, things breakdown, but going into the nitty gritty will help you figure out what needs to be done.

Assuming you are doing lawn care on your own, but if not that is something that your husband or teen boys should take on.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:18 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Here are my comments on this:

Internet - I still think you can get a lower priced plan. There are websites where you put in your requirements and they will price comparison for you.

For eyecare - try ezcontacts.com They have really well priced prescription glasses, even for complicated progressive lenses with ultra thin lenses. I have purchased glasses that would otherwise be 500+$ for around $300 (with a cheap simple frame)

Repairs and maintenance - I think you need to break down more what is needed. Yes, things breakdown, but going into the nitty gritty will help you figure out what needs to be done.

Assuming you are doing lawn care on your own, but if not that is something that your husband or teen boys should take on.

Let me get a breakdown of repairs and maintenance.

Yeah- we do our own lawncare....

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
TYSM I don't want to take money from an organization. I want to figure this out and I know I can with and only through Hashem's bracha.

Work has no benefits. I've asked and begged....

Everyone recommending 401k, the problem is that I already submitted my application. What should I do. Call them up and tell them to change it? Then have my employer change my paycheck. I'm confused how to go about it. (fyi - when I tried LRRC earliest appointment is in over a week. I couldn't wait so I just did the form to the best of my ability. Tried getting through and leaving messages also...).

Call LRRC and wait the week until they get in touch with you, then talk to them about how to change your application.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:22 pm
OP just curious what your exact salary is?

For your kids to be on NJFamilyCare, your would need to earn 161,256 or less (for family of 7)

Then you just need a plan for you and DH but at least your kids will get great coverage with zero premiums

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:35 pm
Have you checked on getcovered NJ what the premiums will cost you?

(But yeah even if it’s not so much per month it still costs more than Medicaid because of deductibles copays and coinsurance)

I just used the price and compare tool and I put in 5 kids (my kids ages which are diff than yours, and NJ pricing is based on age)

For 161k income no tax credit, $200 from NJ
For 162k income $767 premium tax credit and $500 more from NJ

For the second option the cheapest amerihealth (bronze) plan would cost you 131.41/month. A horizon omnia silver value plan would be 434.70/month. That’s less than you said you’re paying now for you and your husband (iirc I read that earlier today and didn’t go back to check)

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:48 pm
It was scary for us when we lost our Medicaid. But my dh was confident that it was the way to go if we ever wanted to grow financially. You can’t grow if you’re squashing yourself down.

Less than a decade later and we now are high income - the cost of healthcare - while still exorbitant, is comfortably fitted in our lives.

There is a saying - if you stay under the table, you can only go as high as the table. If you get on the table the sky is your limit.

(I’m aware that not everyone will ‘make it’. But if you are earning nicely and can technically afford the premiums, I would say take the leap of faith and drop your dependency on programs.)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics