Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anxiety from falling off Jersey Care
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 6:11 am
Jersey care looks at income after reducing for ira and 401k?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:54 am
This is my budget for this month. I'm sure I'll get a lot of questions. Bear in mind I am exceedingly frugal. My clothing is all second hand except my boys cannot get second hand and their suits are the cheapest I can get. They need stuff once in a blue moon but they do need shirts and suits and pants. Thus I put down that we spend $400 a month (about 5k a year ) on clothing. That may sound crazy high but it is a realistic number for a family with teen boys.

Religious is mikva (lol when my kids watch me budget- which they do since I love teaching them - I don't want them to see mikva as an expense).

This month I had my car insurance renewal.

Dentist is orthodontic work for kids and dental for me and my husband (since we don't have insurance).

Somehow I find every month is another "thing". Whether yom tov, insurance premium, camp. There is always another major ticket "thing".

(As for putting money into 401k - I need the money now lol and also I am indeed hoping to increase my income - it's the period between now and my income increasing that I am fearful for. )

Mortgage/Rent $2,400
Water$69.55
Natural Gas$171.53
Electricity $127.07
Internet $110.59
Streaming Services $15.00
Health Insurance $535.26
Life Insurance $141.56
Auto Insurance $1,169.00 (2 used cars owned)
Tuition / Camp $3,000.00
Dentist $400.00
Business $30.00
Eye Care $100.00
Cell phone $66.65
Doctor $50.00
Tutor $150.00
Van $150.00
Groceries $2,800.00
Gas $90.00
clothing $430.00
Hair & Skin Care $25.00
Religious $24.00
Pet Care $20.00
Allowance $60.00
Repairs & Maintenance $300.00
Pharmacy $50.00
Gifts $5.00
Household Goods $50.00
Toys $20.00
Cleaners $35.00

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:59 am
amother OP wrote:
This is my budget for this month. I'm sure I'll get a lot of questions. Bear in mind I am exceedingly frugal. My clothing is all second hand except my boys cannot get second hand and their suits are the cheapest I can get. They need stuff once in a blue moon but they do need shirts and suits and pants. Thus I put down that we spend $400 a month (about 5k a year ) on clothing. That may sound crazy high but it is a realistic number for a family with teen boys.

Religious is mikva (lol when my kids watch me budget- which they do since I love teaching them - I don't want them to see mikva as an expense).

Dentist is orthodontic work for kids and dental for me and my husband (since we don't have insurance).

Somehow I find every month is another "thing". Whether yom tov, insurance premium, camp. There is always another major ticket "thing".

(As for putting money into 401k - I need the money now lol and also I am indeed hoping to increase my income - it's the period between now and my income increasing that I am fearful for. )

Mortgage/Rent $2,400
Water$69.55
Natural Gas$171.53
Electricity $127.07
Internet $110.59
Health Insurance $535.26
Life Insurance $141.56
Tuition / Camp $3,000.00
Dentist $400.00
Business $30.00
Eye Care $100.00
Cell phone $66.65
Doctor $50.00
Tutor $150.00
Van $150.00
Groceries $2,800.00
Gas $90.00
clothing $430.00
Hair & Skin Care $25.00
Religious $24.00
Pet Care $20.00
Allowance $60.00
Pharmacy $50.00
Gifts $5.00
Household Goods $50.00
Toys $20.00
Cleaners $35.00

Just to clarify- you pay 1100 a month for car insurance? As in abt $14,000 a year???

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:02 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Just to clarify- you pay 1100 a month for car insurance? As in abt $14,000 a year???

Yikes - no. The premium is due this month. It's 1100 for the year. Smile

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:03 am
amother OP wrote:

Mortgage/Rent $2,400
Water$69.55
Natural Gas$171.53
Electricity $127.07
Internet $110.59
Health Insurance $535.26
Life Insurance $141.56
Tuition / Camp $3,000.00
Dentist $400.00
Business $30.00
Eye Care $100.00
Cell phone $66.65
Doctor $50.00
Tutor $150.00
Van $150.00
Groceries $2,800.00
Gas $90.00
clothing $430.00
Hair & Skin Care $25.00
Religious $24.00
Pet Care $20.00
Allowance $60.00
Pharmacy $50.00
Gifts $5.00
Household Goods $50.00
Toys $20.00
Cleaners $35.00

Is that water number correct?
That strikes me as being very, very very low.
$70? We pay more like $270.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:06 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Is that water number correct?
That strikes me as being very, very very low.
$70? We pay more like $270.

Yes- ty for taking the time to help me figure this out though...

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Yikes - no. The premium is due this month. It's 1100 for the year. Smile

Ooooh ok.

Personally, your budget looks amazing. I would suggest that you try to set aside a little bit of money a month, like $200 for yt expenses.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:17 am
Can you maybe take a look at your food budget and cut there? I know everything is so crazy expensive now... But we are a family of 7 in Lakewood, and my food & household budget is much lower. We eat fleishigs almost every night and a lot of fruits and veggies. Only thing I can think of is that we stretch the protein, have a lot of soup, and eat very little meat. Like pepper steak is a yom tov meal type, no red meat during the week.. Never have meat on Shabbos except for some in the cholent. We have deli for yomtov, so only a couple times a year. No acai bowls, pizza once in a while... We make less than you and I think we're well off. Lol. My kids pay in for Jersey Care and we pay for ourselves. We get reduced tuition, which I'm grateful for. Its still a ton! My housing costs are lower probably cuz I bought earlier... but I always send to some club recreation, send to summer camp, and buy new clothes for yomtov (nothing super expensive).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:17 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Ooooh ok.

Personally, your budget looks amazing. I would suggest that you try to set aside a little bit of money a month, like $200 for yt expenses.

Thank you for your kind words. I really need to hear such chizzuk!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:05 am
Reach out to frum finance
They will be able to help you at no cost
https://frum.finance/

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:39 am
I have the same thing now, just above the limit.
if you send to legal morah, you can take up to 5k as a childcare deduction called FSA- its pre tax so not counted for jerseycare and your boss will cut the check out straight to the morah
can also do fsa for medical expenses- I think it's also a 5k limit which you can use for anyone in your family- toward deductible, coinsurance or any other medical Bill's that your current insurance x cover.
that knocks 10k off your income for expenses you have anyways.

also, do either of you work for an educational institution? if yes there are a ton more deductions

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:29 am
First of all - if putting 160$ a month into an IRA or 401k will keep you on jersey care, and otherwise you are thrown off, it is worth it.

Here is where I think you can cut:

Internet $110.59 - shop around, you can probably pay less. If you describe a bit more what you internet needs are I can be more specific

Streaming Services $15.00 - unless its very important, its not much

Health Insurance $535.26 - assuming this is for the two of you, shop around and make sure it is the lowest option, but it probably is.

Van $150.00-?

Eye Care $100.00 - what is this for? contact lenses? glasses? look into online shopping for those items, can be much cheaper even the walmart or costco

Cell phone $66.65 - look into pure talk, they have a plan that is $36 for 2 cell phones unlimited talk and text 3gb data and 2 gb hotspot

Groceries $2,800.00 - try to bring down buy $200 a month which is the amount you need to put into an IRA to qualify for jersey care. That's 50$ a week and shouldn't mean a huge lifestyle downgrade.

Repairs & Maintenance $300.00 - how is this different then the van? is it home repairs and maintenance? Can the teenage boys and dh take on some of that so its not an ongoing monthly expense?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:40 am
amother Cherry wrote:
I have the same thing now, just above the limit.
if you send to legal morah, you can take up to 5k as a childcare deduction called FSA- its pre tax so not counted for jerseycare and your boss will cut the check out straight to the morah
can also do fsa for medical expenses- I think it's also a 5k limit which you can use for anyone in your family- toward deductible, coinsurance or any other medical Bill's that your current insurance x cover.
that knocks 10k off your income for expenses you have anyways.

also, do either of you work for an educational institution? if yes there are a ton more deductions

FSA can be a great savings but they're only an option if your employer offers it and for dependent care both parents have to be working. Sounds like OPs dh is not.
And medical FSA is a max of $3,200. Still a savings but unfortunately not so huge. And OP would need to verify that the dental expenses are going to continue all year next year and she's really getting kicked off Jersey Care and what her out of pocket expenses would be because you can't use it for premiums just copays.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
First of all - if putting 160$ a month into an IRA or 401k will keep you on jersey care, and otherwise you are thrown off, it is worth it.

Here is where I think you can cut:

Internet $110.59 - shop around, you can probably pay less. If you describe a bit more what you internet needs are I can be more specific

Streaming Services $15.00 - unless its very important, its not much

Health Insurance $535.26 - assuming this is for the two of you, shop around and make sure it is the lowest option, but it probably is.

Van $150.00-?

Eye Care $100.00 - what is this for? contact lenses? glasses? look into online shopping for those items, can be much cheaper even the walmart or costco

Cell phone $66.65 - look into pure talk, they have a plan that is $36 for 2 cell phones unlimited talk and text 3gb data and 2 gb hotspot

Groceries $2,800.00 - try to bring down buy $200 a month which is the amount you need to put into an IRA to qualify for jersey care. That's 50$ a week and shouldn't mean a huge lifestyle downgrade.

Repairs & Maintenance $300.00 - how is this different then the van? is it home repairs and maintenance? Can the teenage boys and dh take on some of that so its not an ongoing monthly expense?

TY!!!!!!!
Internet - Is actually home phone and internet. I work from home so need internet and also need to have a home phone for the kids. I really really want to get rid of the home phone but haven't figured out a way yet since the kids use it to call the hotlines, friends etc. and we don't do cell phones for kids

Health insurance- this is a high deductible obamacare plan. It's for the two of us and I believe it is the lowest available.

Van - no bussing so we pay for van. Even with paying I still have tons of carpools. This is for the carpools I simply can't do.

Eye care- This is glasses and exams for me and husband. My husband has a crazy high prescription and needs special lenses. That's not covered by insurance and is about $500 a year. Then glasses are not fully covered for my kids and all my kids need new glasses (we use old frames). It's not a per month expense - but I break it down to this.

Cell phone - will look into this.

Groceries- YES. I am going to start seriously dissecting my grocery bill. Off the bat I see noodle soups that I will no longer be buying. That alone is around $60 a month.

Repairs and maintenance- this is for home repairs and purchases that related to the home. Such as fridge broke, we needed a hamper, lawn care...

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:38 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
FSA can be a great savings but they're only an option if your employer offers it and for dependent care both parents have to be working. Sounds like OPs dh is not.
And medical FSA is a max of $3,200. Still a savings but unfortunately not so huge. And OP would need to verify that the dental expenses are going to continue all year next year and she's really getting kicked off Jersey Care and what her out of pocket expenses would be because you can't use it for premiums just copays.

Regarding dependent care FSA, if the unemployed spouse is actively seeking work or is disabled then the FSA can be used.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
TY!!!!!!!
Internet - Is actually home phone and internet. I work from home so need internet and also need to have a home phone for the kids. I really really want to get rid of the home phone but haven't figured out a way yet since the kids use it to call the hotlines, friends etc. and we don't do cell phones for kids

Health insurance- this is a high deductible obamacare plan. It's for the two of us and I believe it is the lowest available.

Van - no bussing so we pay for van. Even with paying I still have tons of carpools. This is for the carpools I simply can't do.

Eye care- This is glasses and exams for me and husband. My husband has a crazy high prescription and needs special lenses. That's not covered by insurance and is about $500 a year. Then glasses are not fully covered for my kids and all my kids need new glasses (we use old frames). It's not a per month expense - but I break it down to this.

Cell phone - will look into this.

Groceries- YES. I am going to start seriously dissecting my grocery bill. Off the bat I see noodle soups that I will no longer be buying. That alone is around $60 a month.

Repairs and maintenance- this is for home repairs and purchases that related to the home. Such as fridge broke, we needed a hamper, lawn care...

We have ooma for a house phone. It's through the internet and was much cheaper than getting service through an internet company. Prices have definitely gone up since we locked in but it should be a savings for you.
I know you said you don't do cell phones but we also have a family cell phone from US mobile that we pay $12/month for. The phone was inexpensive and I think I found out about the plan from here. I took the phone to TAG and we made it talk only and we haven't had any issues with it like I would if I got kids their own phone.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:45 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Can you maybe take a look at your food budget and cut there? I know everything is so crazy expensive now... But we are a family of 7 in Lakewood, and my food & household budget is much lower. We eat fleishigs almost every night and a lot of fruits and veggies. Only thing I can think of is that we stretch the protein, have a lot of soup, and eat very little meat. Like pepper steak is a yom tov meal type, no red meat during the week.. Never have meat on Shabbos except for some in the cholent. We have deli for yomtov, so only a couple times a year. No acai bowls, pizza once in a while... We make less than you and I think we're well off. Lol. My kids pay in for Jersey Care and we pay for ourselves. We get reduced tuition, which I'm grateful for. Its still a ton! My housing costs are lower probably cuz I bought earlier... but I always send to some club recreation, send to summer camp, and buy new clothes for yomtov (nothing super expensive).

I also have a family of 7 & we spend waaaay more than 2800 a month. A lot of it can depend on the ages of your kids.

I think 2800 is extremely reasonable. Plz don't cut food! The first thing kids notice is if they are hungry.

I agree with the other posters about putting money into a 401k if that will help get you on to JC for now.

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:47 pm
Neither of your jobs or your husbands job offers medical insurance? (Not surprising just double checking)

Do either of you have your own business? You may be able to get health insurance through that as a group plan and then the premiums are paid for by the business and are pre tax

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:49 pm
Also, I don't know how long ago your husband stopped working but did you try to contact Hope org in Lakewood?

Supposedly they give money to people who have to stop working because of a medical crisis in the family or something similar until they can get back onto their feet. Hopeorg.org

Maybe they can help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:59 pm
TYSM I don't want to take money from an organization. I want to figure this out and I know I can with and only through Hashem's bracha.

Work has no benefits. I've asked and begged....

Everyone recommending 401k, the problem is that I already submitted my application. What should I do. Call them up and tell them to change it? Then have my employer change my paycheck. I'm confused how to go about it. (fyi - when I tried LRRC earliest appointment is in over a week. I couldn't wait so I just did the form to the best of my ability. Tried getting through and leaving messages also...).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics