Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
S/o Betty Crocker Pizza Maker
Previous  1  2

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:47 am
essie14 wrote:
https://refaeli.co.il/items/4931231--%D7%AA%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%A8-%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%A6%D7%94-Benaton-BT-5897-%D7%91%D7%A0%D7%98%D7%95%D7%9F

https://refaeli.co.il/items/45.....tchen

This is where you can buy in Israel. I use it for tons of things, but not pizza LOL

So expensive in Israel! That comes out over $80! I paid 20 for mine in Bingo in Brooklyn.

aaa2

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:32 am
yidisheh mama wrote:
So expensive in Israel! That comes out over $80! I paid 20 for mine in Bingo in Brooklyn.

Yup, it's expensive here.
When I pay more for an item in Israel than it would cost in NY I always tell myself: This is the expense of living in Israel and I'm happy to pay more in order to live here!
I would feel too deprived if I told myself that items were too expensive only if I lived in Israel but I could get them if I moved back.
BH for this attitude it's gotten me through a lot and I've been priveleged to live here many years

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:33 am
myname1 wrote:
Someone just asked about making pizza taste like from a store and someone responded bake it in a Betty Crocker. I've seen this pizza maker mentioned on this site to do tons of amazing things, but rarely pizza! I've never actually seen one but it sounds kind of like a sandwich maker or electric grill with a flat surface and more space inside? Does it actually make pizza taste like it was made in a pizza oven??!!

My kids LOVE pizza from a pizza store (It's literally the only thing they will all sit and eat and enjoy!), and anything I make at home just doesn't compare. I've even tried with a pizza stone, and it was SO much extra work and so nerve-racking, and just really didn't add much. If a Betty Crocker really does that, I'll buy it in a second.

If anyone knows where to get one in Israel, either online or in a store, I'd love to hear. Also open to pizza recipes either for the Betty Crocker specifically or in general. Thanks all!

I've had pizza from a betty crocker and it was nothing like pizza store pizza.

I use a pizza stone, but I don't preheat the stone. It tastes as good as a pizza store pizza, or better even. I cook it at 500° F for about 10 minutes.

153g of 00 flour (1 cup plus 1 tbsp)
153g all-purpose flour (1 cup plus 1 tbsp and 2 tsp)
8g fine sea salt (1 tsp)
2g active dry yeast (3/4 tsp)
4g extra-virgin olive oil (1 tsp)
220g of luke warm water

1. In a large mixing bowl combine the two types of flour and the salt.

2. In a small mixing bowl, stire together 200 grams (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil. Then, pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.

3. Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball.

4. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth and let rest and rise for 3 - 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 - 24 hours in the refrigerator. If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30-45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.

If you don't have 00 flour, can use all regular flour.

I like to drizzle a little olive oil on the dough before adding sauce and cheese. I also add a little salt and pepper before cooking.

You can make this in the betty crocker as well but I think that higher heat is what gets the pizza to taste like pizza shop pizza.

What about the pizza stone was the challenge? Maybe I can help you troubleshoot.

essie14

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:01 am
yidisheh mama wrote:

BH I have the privilege of living here. I don't compare prices to Brooklyn. I never lived in Brooklyn so I wouldn't be getting items at Brooklyn prices anyway.
There are plenty of items that are cheaper in Israel. Ask me how much I pay for matza .....
And basically all Judaica.

samantha1

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:04 am
myname1 wrote:
Thanks so much! Looking on Zap now, with your inspiration. Do you have one of these companies? Can anyone recommend a good company, as Betty Crocker doesn't seem to be sold here?

Does anyone actually use it for pizza? Any other dairy/parve things it's especially useful for? We have mostly milchigs around here, and fry things like pancakes, cheese pancakes, eggs, blintzes constantly. Is this actually more useful than a frying pan for anything like that? Or more for things baked in an oven?

I use it for eggs daily . Best things , no dishes , I use parchment paper under . Also use it for French toast

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:12 am
Hi OP, I'm the one that said that I make pizza in the Betty Crocker. Since this is anon disabled I guess I'm identifying myself Laugh , oh well.

I do find it tastes much closer to store bought pizza than making it in the oven. I also roll it out very thin and use pepino pizza sauce, add a little oil and oregano, and plenty of pizza cheese. My dough is very similar to the one linked on the other thread - only difference is I substitute half the water with apple juice.

It tastes a LOT more similar to store pizza than when I made it plain in the oven, which didn't resemble store pizza at all. Some of my kids prefer this over store pizza actually, and I do as well, I think it's better.

I must be an anomaly that I only use my betty crocker for pizza. I like a frying pan for eggs (takes a second to wash it off), I already have a toaster oven and sandwich maker... but pizza was coming out so expensive (we buy two pies) that just making pizza one time almost paid for the cost.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:13 am
Israel has many things way cheaper than NY/NJ. Think about yeshiva tuitions for one.
Books/sefarim are like half price in Israel.
Gas and electronics are a lot more…

2 years ago I bought a Betty Crocker In bingo for $60. It broke after using it for a short time. Recently I bought another one on sale for $20.
I don’t use it often. I really don’t need it. I have a milchig oven, toaster oven and milchig microwave.
It’s good to have when we go away but we hardly ever go anywhere. Last summer we took it with us when we went on a trip for a few days but we could have managed without it.
I sometimes take it out when every last dish is washed and I want to keep the kitchen clean but I have a child who is a big scrambled eggs eater and he dislikes the texture of the eggs in the Betty Crocker so out comes the frying pan…
If I could make a perfect pizza it would probably be worth it. I tried once but the dough was too thick and soggy and besides I already have a milchig oven.

Last edited by lkwdlady on Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:15 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Hi OP, I'm the one that said that I make pizza in the Betty Crocker. Since this is anon disabled I guess I'm identifying myself Laugh , oh well.

I do find it tastes much closer to store bought pizza than making it in the oven. I also roll it out very thin and use pepino pizza sauce, add a little oil and oregano, and plenty of pizza cheese. My dough is very similar to the one linked on the other thread - only difference is I substitute half the water with apple juice.

It tastes a LOT more similar to store pizza than when I made it plain in the oven, which didn't resemble store pizza at all. Some of my kids prefer this over store pizza actually, and I do as well, I think it's better.

I must be an anomaly that I only use my betty crocker for pizza. I like a frying pan for eggs (takes a second to wash it off), I already have a toaster oven and sandwich maker... but pizza was coming out so expensive (we buy two pies) that just making pizza one time almost paid for the cost.

I didn’t see the other thread. What’s your dough recipe?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:32 am
lkwdlady wrote:
I didn’t see the other thread. What’s your dough recipe?

https://www.browneyedbaker.com.....ones/
This was the recipe linked on the other thread. Mine is very similar, though like I said, I substitute apple juice for half the water.

ETA: I see that you wrote your dough was too thick, I think the key is to put a little less flour when kneading so that it's still a little sticky and use flour when rolling it out. That's what works for me.

ETA ETA: Just went to get it and here is my recipe:

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup apple juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 oz. oil
1 oz. yeast
3-1/2 cups flour

I see that my recipe has a little less flour, but honestly I always need to add flour so its probably.around the same.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 9:23 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
https://www.browneyedbaker.com/classic-calzones/
This was the recipe linked on the other thread. Mine is very similar, though like I said, I substitute apple juice for half the water.

ETA: I see that you wrote your dough was too thick, I think the key is to put a little less flour when kneading so that it's still a little sticky and use flour when rolling it out. That's what works for me.

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup apple juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 oz. oil
1 oz. yeast
3-1/2 cups flour

I see that my recipe has a little less flour, but honestly I always need to add flour so its probably.around the same.

Thank you!
You bake it with cheese and sauce (no pre bake?)

myname1

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 9:24 am
For those in Israel, does the Mini Kitchen Pizza Maker open flat so you can use both sides to make blintzes or something? The ones that seem to get hotter I think have only a bottom surface and on top just the heating element. but if the Mini Kitchen one doesn't open flat anyway, what is the point of the flat surface in the cover?

I saw something with a grill on top that davka says it opens, but that seems less meant for pizza, so I thought maybe the Mini Kitchen would work better. But now I'm rethinking. And if I don't care about the top, is one that gets much hotter, the 1800 Watt ones, but have just a heating element on top, better? It's a pretty large chunk of money that I'd rather not waste.

Does anyone in Israel make pizza in one of these and can tell me which? (Sorry if you already did, there were a lot of replies, B"H, from many different countries, and I'm not the best at keeping track.) Thanks again, everyone!!

About the pizza stone, I just don't like dealing with it hot and it doesn't seem to do much without preheating. I have a milchig toaster oven, not oven, so that is very possibly my biggest issue. I'm dreaming this will solve all my problems and make pretty much weekly trips to the pizza store a thing of the past! That's why I want it to be good!

Bleemee

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 9:27 am
SuperWify wrote:
I also constantly use it to warm up pizza, pizza bagels, hot pretzels ect because I have only one oven. So it stays only counter all week. It’s a brilliant invention.

Why would you use it over buying a toaster oven?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 9:32 am
lkwdlady wrote:
Thank you!
You bake it with cheese and sauce (no pre bake?)

Yes, I do.

A1MUM

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 9:38 am
myname1 wrote:
For those in Israel, does the Mini Kitchen Pizza Maker open flat so you can use both sides to make blintzes or something? The ones that seem to get hotter I think have only a bottom surface and on top just the heating element. but if the Mini Kitchen one doesn't open flat anyway, what is the point of the flat surface in the cover?

I saw something with a grill on top that davka says it opens, but that seems less meant for pizza, so I thought maybe the Mini Kitchen would work better. But now I'm rethinking. And if I don't care about the top, is one that gets much hotter, the 1800 Watt ones, but have just a heating element on top, better? It's a pretty large chunk of money that I'd rather not waste.

Does anyone in Israel make pizza in one of these and can tell me which? (Sorry if you already did, there were a lot of replies, B"H, from many different countries, and I'm not the best at keeping track.) Thanks again, everyone!!

About the pizza stone, I just don't like dealing with it hot and it doesn't seem to do much without preheating. I have a milchig toaster oven, not oven, so that is very possibly my biggest issue. I'm dreaming this will solve all my problems and make pretty much weekly trips to the pizza store a thing of the past! That's why I want it to be good!

Cromex I have it, I'm happy with it it opens all the way and has a grill on 1 side, I use it for meaty.
I think it was 250 so cheaper than the mini kitchen at salon geula.

myname1

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 9:46 am
A1MUM wrote:
Cromex I have it, I'm happy with it it opens all the way and has a grill on 1 side, I use it for meaty.
I think it was 250 so cheaper than the mini kitchen at salon geula.

Thanks. Does anyone have one they use for pizza??

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 4:51 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
https://www.browneyedbaker.com/classic-calzones/

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup apple juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 oz. oil
1 oz. yeast
3-1/2 cups flour

1 oz dry yeast? That’s a lot… how many tsp do you use?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 5:42 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
1 oz dry yeast? That’s a lot… how many tsp do you use?

The original recipe calls for one ounce of fresh yeast. I googled this and it looks like it converts to 3 tsp dry yeast (double check this, I may be wrong).

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 5:52 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
The original recipe calls for one ounce of fresh yeast. I googled this and it looks like it converts to 3 tsp dry yeast (double check this, I may be wrong).

Ty! I have the dough rising now. I wasn’t sure about the 1oz so I googled a little and checked other recipes and decided to use 4 tsps of yeast and 4 cups of flour. I had to add a little water…
I’ll let you know how it turns out!
Was looking forward to making your recipe for a while!
Not sure my family will be able to wait 2 hours for the dough to rise.. didn’t realize that pizza dough needs rising!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals