Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DS Doesn't want to go to sleepaway camp - thoughts??
Previous  1  2  3

My 5th grade boy...
Goes to overnight camp  
 13%  [ 8 ]
Goes to daycamp  
 80%  [ 49 ]
Doesn't have a long summer break due to mandatory "school" (even if it's called something else in the summer)  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 61

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:23 pm
If you have the option of coming to Lakewood for the summer I can tell you about Lakewood day camps.

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:33 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
If you have the option of coming to Lakewood for the summer I can tell you about Lakewood day camps.

I don't, but thanks!

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:12 pm
I don't have any info OP, but gotta say you sound like a great mom! Ready to move a whole summer for your son, lucky boy!

Its interesting for me to see all these responses. Where I live OOT many kids go to overnight camp from 4th/5th on average. Many day camps don't go past that age here. Of course kids that aren't ready don't go. Many grow out of sleepover camp by 8th/9th. Interesting how diff communities have diff norms! (Most kids that go, go away for just half -under 4 weeks. Then spend time with fam / work.)

Anyway Hatzlacha OP!

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:13 pm
I don't have any info OP, but gotta say you sound like a great mom! Ready to move a whole summer for your son, lucky boy!

Its interesting for me to see all these responses. Where I live OOT many kids go to overnight camp from 4th/5th on average. Many day camps don't go past that age here. Of course kids that aren't ready don't go. Many grow out of sleepover camp by 8th/9th. Interesting how diff communities have diff norms! (Most kids that go, go away for just half -under 4 weeks. Then spend time with fam / work.)

Anyway Hatzlacha OP!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:56 pm
blueiz wrote:
Amother Forestgreen - what did your son do the summers before 7th grade?

And amother whose 5th grader wasn't sure - what was his other option?

So validating to hear that it's not just us Smile

In Lakewood, day camp is until going into 7th grade.

So day camp until sleepaway.
Are also some options in some day camps for the boys to work so if he didn't want to go to sleep away he's going to do that

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:58 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:

Anyway Hatzlacha OP!

Thanks! Yeah - he told me he wants to work in a backyard camp. I told him I’m fine with him working half the summer if that’s what he wants but he needs to also take time to be a kid - there’ll be plenty of time to work as he grows up. So looking for good alternatives

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:50 pm
You might get more of what you're looking for if you retitle the thread, "day camps for 5th grade DS in Brooklyn or FR?"
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children