Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Leaving a job after 8 years

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:09 am
My DH has been working at a job where he could probably stay forever. He got comfortable there and while there is still potential for growth, someone approached him with an offer for a new position. The pay is the same but he truly feels there is potential longer growth with this new company. Of course if it was a huge pay raise there wouldn't be a question as to move to the new job. I feel almost bad that he spent 8 years at this current company. We are looking at moving to Israel and this new job said NO PROBLEM, which is huge. His current job though is run by way older people who he has not disclosed plans with but he feels strongly they would not be OK with it. He doesn't want to tell them now as it is still 17 months away and feels a bit premature.

There is just no real clarity at what he should do. If he stays it is for comfort and familiarity. He would continue to trudge along, maybe in a few years make more money but not a ton. If he goes, it is a risk for potential greater gains in a few years.
Sigh,
Any advice?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:12 am
My DH left a job after 9 years because he was too comfortable there with zero room for growth.

I say he should definitely take the new offer, especially if they are ok with you moving to israel.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:17 am
take the new job. Idk why you feel almost bad that he spend 8 years at his job...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:18 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
My DH left a job after 9 years because he was too comfortable there with zero room for growth.

I say he should definitely take the new offer, especially if they are ok with you moving to israel.

I wish he would have switched 5 years ago. I know they depend on him a lot at his current position and would be completely blind sided. We both feel bad. I realize he is just a worker but you develop these professional relationships in small businesses. That is why I think maybe he should mention Israel as then it won't be as personal and they will realize their company isn't set up for it to work successfully. This new job offer is completely digital so remote is something they are use to.

His current job though just offer him partner which sounds exciting and huge but really it is a small firm. When he saw the financials crunched of being partner it made him realize there is just isn't a ton of growth unless he worked hundreds more hours.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:20 am
I'd be very wary of doing these 2 life altering moves at one time.
Are you sure the 2nd place will work out?

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I wish he would have switched 5 years ago. I know they depend on him a lot at his current position and would be completely blind sided. We both feel bad. I realize he is just a worker but you develop these professional relationships in small businesses. That is why I think maybe he should mention Israel as then it won't be as personal and they will realize their company isn't set up for it to work successfully. This new job offer is completely digital so remote is something they are use to.

His current job though just offer him partner which sounds exciting and huge but really it is a small firm. When he saw the financials crunched of being partner it made him realize there is just isn't a ton of growth unless he worked hundreds more hours.

I am not understanding you. You have to live life forwards not backwards. It was supposed to be

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:26 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I'd be very wary of doing these 2 life altering moves at one time.
Are you sure the 2nd place will work out?

It is not at once. We are looking to move next summer which is another reason he would want to make the job move now which gives him appx 17/18 months to get settled.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:31 am
amother OP wrote:
It is not at once. We are looking to move next summer which is another reason he would want to make the job move now which gives him appx 17/18 months to get settled.
ok, that makes more sense. Good luck with it all!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:35 am
amother Olive wrote:
take the new job. Idk why you feel almost bad that he spend 8 years at his job...

8 years is just so long to be working towards something and then ditch it I guess? I am not use to jumping jobs and feel like a certain loyalty to employers.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:47 am
amother OP wrote:
8 years is just so long to be working towards something and then ditch it I guess? I am not use to jumping jobs and feel like a certain loyalty to employers.

I dont think so at all. Peoples needs change. He now he has the opportunity to move on to something that will fit your plans for moving the future and thats great. Nothing is wasted by him working for same place for a while and then moving on

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 11:19 am
amother Olive wrote:
I dont think so at all. Peoples needs change. He now he has the opportunity to move on to something that will fit your plans for moving the future and thats great. Nothing is wasted by him working for same place for a while and then moving on

Right, it isn't so obvious which would have greater growth financially in 10 years from now. When working for an employer there is just so much uncertainty. I wish we had a magic ball that would help us decide.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 11:29 am
I think you have your magic ball if you just look backwards. In 8 years, there hasn't been much growth in the job - that is telling you something about the next 8 years too, isn't it? So making the switch to a job that may have better prospects and will support your plans to move overseas seems to make sense to me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 4:48 pm
amother Apple wrote:
I think you have your magic ball if you just look backwards. In 8 years, there hasn't been much growth in the job - that is telling you something about the next 8 years too, isn't it? So making the switch to a job that may have better prospects and will support your plans to move overseas seems to make sense to me.

While I agree with this in theory I guess you could say he was working towards making partner and now he is finally there but having all these doubts. I feel so bad for him as he really is struggling with self esteem and wants me to help him make the decision. He is scared, I am scared.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 4:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
While I agree with this in theory I guess you could say he was working towards making partner and now he is finally there but having all these doubts. I feel so bad for him as he really is struggling with self esteem and wants me to help him make the decision. He is scared, I am scared.

If this job he won't be able to do remotely what good will it be if he stay here and is partner he will have to quit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics