Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Squatters - Any Experience?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:35 am
Anyone has any experience in getting squatters to vacate an apartment?
How long? How hard is the process?

Does anyone have a good lawyer to recommend? NYC

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:36 am
Years! It’s terrible in nyc. I’d google and find one who was in the news for being successful. I have a friend that dealt with it took 5 years!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:44 am
My parents had this. Years and years. Thousands upon thousands of dollars. In Brooklyn

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:11 pm
There's somebody fantastic Schwartz. He lives in Flatbush. I'll try to get his information from dh later.

SunnyDayz

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:34 pm
Is it former renters who refuse to vacate? As in, did they ever have a valid lease, or are they strangers you can't get out?

I came across a video a little while ago of a guy who got squatters out of a property his mother owned by drawing up a contract and renting it from her. Renters tend to have more rights than the landlord, so now he had the right to call the police, show up with his official lease document, and have the people removed from his rental. Perhaps consult a lawyer to try something like this?

bellaball

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:39 pm
amother Azure wrote:
There's somebody fantastic Schwartz. He lives in Flatbush. I'll try to get his information from dh later.

Would love to get the info too.

Thank you

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:46 pm
SunnyDayz wrote:
Is it former renters who refuse to vacate? As in, did they ever have a valid lease, or are they strangers you can't get out?

I came across a video a little while ago of a guy who got squatters out of a property his mother owned by drawing up a contract and renting it from her. Renters tend to have more rights than the landlord, so now he had the right to call the police, show up with his official lease document, and have the people removed from his rental. Perhaps consult a lawyer to try something like this?

Strangers, meaning the previous tenants let them in and then vacated.

Cute idea. I don't own the property, but am looking into purchasing it. I wonder if I take them to court that I want it for myself, if that would work.

I wanted a qualified lawyer to tell me what the turn around time. Broker asked a lawyer that said no big deal. I don't buy it.

SunnyDayz

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Strangers, meaning the previous tenants let them in and then vacated.

Cute idea. I don't own the property, but am looking into purchasing it. I wonder if I take them to court that I want it for myself, if that would work.

I wanted a qualified lawyer to tell me what the turn around time. Broker asked a lawyer that said no big deal. I don't buy it.

It could be the change of ownership would impact their ability to claim tenancy of any kind. I don't actually know, I just thought his idea was brilliant!
Could you rent the property from the current owner, get them booted, and then buy it?
Otherwise, I would recommend consulting with another lawyer of your own (not through the broker) and get a second opinion. Ask if they've had actual experience with it, were they successful, etc. There should be public record of it if they have handled such cases before.

Hatzlacha raba! It's a really frustrating situation to be in, the laws really need to be amended and clarified.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:04 pm
I know someone who bought a house around 5 years ago and still hasn’t moved in because it has squatters.
Brooklyn.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a house with squatters and I wouldn’t trust that realtor.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:32 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
I know someone who bought a house around 5 years ago and still hasn’t moved in because it has squatters.
Brooklyn.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a house with squatters and I wouldn’t trust that realtor.

Ouch. I feel sorry for them. That's what I'm afraid of and trying to convince my husband that it's not a good deal.
Seller can deliver it vacant for more money. I'm afraid that doesn't make any sense either. He can't get it done in 60 days until closing.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:51 pm
Delete

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:07 pm
I can ask my DH later for the lawyer he used but it took years and so much stress. If you didn't buy it yet I would caution you to stay away.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:25 pm
I’d stay away and not purchase. It will cost you a lot of money and hassle. If you want to risk it I’d sign a contract that says purchase is contingent on squatters being out by x date at complete expense of the seller. So if they can’t actually do it you will be able to back out without any penalty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries