Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Struck by a car, in crosswalk
Previous  1  2

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
If driver was at fault then they can get quite a lot *if* driver was properly insured. You need a good lawyer.

This.

And “a lot” is very relative.

I know someone who this unfortunately happened to. They got the max that the driver was insured for from insurance. It covered the initial hospital stay and rehab. And then the funds ran out. So this person was stuck paying out of pocket for therapies as they tried to get themselves healed so that their life could resume.
Unfortunately the driver did not have personal assets they could go after.

Payout depends on the insurance the driver had, whether he has personal assets, and the extent of the injuries

ponderinglife

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:56 pm
amother Linen wrote:
This.

And “a lot” is very relative.

I know someone who this unfortunately happened to. They got the max that the driver was insured for from insurance. It covered the initial hospital stay and rehab. And then the funds ran out.

There's additional car insurance some people carry specifically for this purpose so that if there's an accident and the other party doesn't have insurance or limited amount, your own car insurance covers it. It's called SUM: Supplemental underinsured motorist coverage. Check if their policy has this.

Regarding a recommendation of a lawyer, if you have a heimish insurance agent who sold you the car insurance speak to them for a recommendation.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:25 pm
Thank you all for your responses.

I wish drivers would be a little more responsible in this city. Unfortunately it keeps getting worse.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:29 pm
I used weiss & akerman (212) 233-0800

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Someone very close to me was struck by a car while walking in the crosswalk. That person is Still recovering from injuries that will have lifetime ramifications. Whats the most they can get for suing the insurance? NY

There is no possible way for anyone to know or to predict. You also don’t say what the injuries are. Every case is different. If it goes to jury you can lose and not get a dime. Usually people settle. But no way to know what offers the other side will make.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries