Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can I turn these skills into a side hustle?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:41 am
I am starting my 9th year at my job and I really really need more money but I have a very difficult child who makes the morning very hard. I am not sure I can give up my job that lets me come anywhere from 9-9:30 without a hassle.

So I am wondering if I can take some of the skills I use here for a side hustle.

I have written or revised close to 1000 resumes

I have written hundreds of job descriptions

I am not sure I want to go into resume writing because where I live there are non profits that will do it for cheap or free so who will pay me.

But I write well and have a lot of experience in staffing and recruiting. Can I do something with this on the side?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:47 am
Can you reach out to mosdos in your area if they need grantwriting? or report writing for their government funding?

Or, I have heard that some people do college report editing/writing.

mushkale

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:48 am
I used fiverr for help with resume writing. Maybe try that?

goldfish1

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:50 am
I'm pretty sure people pay money for resumes, and it can be done remotely so you can advertise wherever you want regarding the non-profit situation.

Do you think you would be good at copywriting? Or perhaps you can work for a recruiting company?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:51 am
I work for a recruiting company and am not sure I can change jobs so I am exploring what I can do on the side to add some more income.

Writergirl

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:51 am
I know 2 people who have full (not side) businesses writing resumes. There is a big demand. If you have experience with staffing and recruiting you can also offer consultations. Go for it!

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:52 am
Do you know how they got started?

Writergirl

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:53 am
mha3484 wrote:
Do you know how they got started?

No. But go on LinkedIn or advertise on whatsapp status. Come up with a plan and start spreading the word.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:28 am
Are there people who can help you formulate a plan? I have always worked for someone else so this is new to me.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:44 am
You could try joining Soferet - a large online network of frum people involved in all areas of writing - and post there asking for leads and suggestions.

Writergirl

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:44 am
mha3484 wrote:
Are there people who can help you formulate a plan? I have always worked for someone else so this is new to me.

There are consultants, but they are expensive. You don't need that to start. Start by going on Linkedin and checking out resume writers. Read their posts, check out their websites if they have. Get a feel for how the business runs. I imagine you'll want to come up with basic resume packages - including a discovery call, x type of resume, rounds of revision etc. for a set price. Then you gotta spread the word. You can post on LinkedIn - but you can't outright advertise yourself. Get a feel for how LI works before you start posting. Show up as an authority and you are an authority if you have so much related experience. You can post on whatsapp chats or statuses that you are doing resumes. Once you have a few clients you can build yourself up. So much hatzlacha! Don't be afraid to jump in. This doesn't require any overhead (aside from a computer0 to start.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:45 am
https://successfulfreelancemom.com/

I went to college with her. She's Jewish, living in Israel, and making $10,000 a month writing. Take some of her courses.

Goldengoose

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:47 am
do you write poems? people pay others to write simple poems for them for chosson/kallah, gifting, purim themes.

Writergirl

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:48 am
Goldengoose wrote:
do you write poems? people pay others to write simple poems for them for chosson/kallah, gifting, purim themes.

Resume writing is definitely better paid than poem writing. I write for a living - lots of different types of writing. It's a big world out there. Many frum ladies have full parnassah from various forms of writing.

mra01385

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:31 am
How does one go about finding proofreading jobs? I currently do proofreading part time for a local newspaper publication but I’m looking for more of such jobs to do from home.

I also want to know if there is a demand for teaching computers such as Microsoft office one on one?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics