Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Morahs and self care
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:04 pm
I work in a child care setting.
I work hard and feel very drained and depleted, both emotionally and physically.
I do enjoy working with kids a lot, but at this time the dynamics and set up (which I can't change), isn't working well for me.

The children have nap time but I don't find it relaxing because it's a small space. The children aren't always quiet during nap time. (There is no one to take me over, so going out isn't an option.)

I was thinking a lot about my job... I am thinking that it might be very helpful if there is a way I can do some kind of relaxing, self care while their in their cribs...
I'm trying to think of ideas...

Any ideas? (Besides for listening to music, I don't go for music).

Thanks in advance! Heart

Coffee beanz

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:06 pm
I used to do yoga with Adrienne office yoga video on my teaching breaks. It's a sitting flow so you don't look weird

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:16 pm
Meditation, aromatherapy, stretching exercises, self-massage even if it's just massaging your neck and face or massaging lotion into your hands and forearms, consuming a small treat, reading something you don't otherwise have time for...You really ought to try listening to music with a headset. Even if you're not a music junkie, there is probably some sort of music you find soothing or energizing.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:21 pm
Sounds so hard! Can you occasionally treat yourself to ordering food to your job and eat it during nap time? Does your job have a coffee machine? Maybe make yourself a yummy latte to savor and enjoy during nap time. Do you like podcasts? Perhaps you can try listening to one with headphones on.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 8:25 pm
Daven!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:05 pm
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful a great ideas!
please keep them coming!! Heart

I find that I am not relaxed bec I'm exusted.
kids can be unpredictable during nap time.
Nap time I feel on guard and hypervigilant, I can't relax because I don't have the energy to be "on" anymore at that time.
I'm not sure if anyone gets what I mean.

I struggle with chronic fatigue so that is why I find it so hard.
I am manage well, then once the kids are in for naps, I desperately need a way to relax and calm down my body.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:10 pm
Get a portable massage pillow

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful a great ideas!
please keep them coming!! Heart

I find that I am not relaxed bec I'm exusted.
kids can be unpredictable during nap time.
Nap time I feel on guard and hypervigilant, I can't relax because I don't have the energy to be "on" anymore at that time.
I'm not sure if anyone gets what I mean.

I struggle with chronic fatigue so that is why I find it so hard.
I am manage well, then once the kids are in for naps, I desperately need a way to relax and calm down my body.

As a mom to little kids and a former preschool teacher I totally get what you mean.

Really don’t have anything to suggest. It’s hard to relax in that situation. Personally I’d do crossword puzzles or sudoku- those kind of things and save myself a diet soda in the fridge for that time.
But I don’t know if that’s you’re kind of thing. That’s just how I relax.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:43 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
As a mom to little kids and a former preschool teacher I totally get what you mean.

Really don’t have anything to suggest. It’s hard to relax in that situation. Personally I’d do crossword puzzles or sudoku- those kind of things and save myself a diet soda in the fridge for that time.
But I don’t know if that’s you’re kind of thing. That’s just how I relax.

Thanks so much for the validation!

calvinhobbs

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:55 pm
amother Pink wrote:
Sounds so hard! Can you occasionally treat yourself to ordering food to your job and eat it during nap time? Does your job have a coffee machine? Maybe make yourself a yummy latte to savor and enjoy during nap time. Do you like podcasts? Perhaps you can try listening to one with headphones on.

At the risk of sounding bad and being misunderstood; I work in a school and I (personally) find it insensitive to eat goodies in front of the kids. I’ma strong proponent for teachers to sit and eat with the children family style and eat what the kids are being served or the closest substitute,

In the event the teacher will eat a goodie, it should never be before the kids meal when they’re hungry.

This is a sensitivity that I have and something that I know the principal speaks about to the teachers.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:43 pm
I don't know if it's doable, but can you lie down somewhere. I find that with my own kids they lie down better if I'm lying down, plus then I get more of a break too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:41 am
amother Diamond wrote:
I don't know if it's doable, but can you lie down somewhere. I find that with my own kids they lie down better if I'm lying down, plus then I get more of a break too.

I was thinking maybe to get a comfortable chair office chair...

Guys, those of you who work as a morah for babies or toddler, without the option of a break. What do you do when the children nap so you can refresh yourself?

realtalk

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I was thinking maybe to get a comfortable chair office chair...

Guys, those of you who work as a morah for babies or toddler, without the option of a break. What do you do when the children nap so you can refresh yourself?

I would try to get fresh air and direct sunlight either standing by an open window or door

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 6:44 am
I would get an adult coloring book, or just a sketchpad and draw/doodle if you like that sort of thing.

ganmama

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:15 am
amother OP wrote:

One of the reasons I’m working to get “my” babies on a unified nap schedule is so that I can have a few minutes to just breathe.

But my biggest self care things during the day are making a coffe/ having a diet soda for when things get hectic- and sometimes a small piece of chocolate.

I love my job, but it’s hard! And there’s no break! The other thing is to make sure at the end of the day you take some time to decompress!!

esther7

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:33 am
Deep breathing to help you relax

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:12 am
5 to 10 minutes guided meditation for stress and anxiety.

bnm

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:34 am
Nothing. Anything done dueing nap time distracts the kids.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:48 am
If they are all in cribs and basically sleeping can you not step out for a few minutes? That's what I do. I use the bathroom, prep and eat a quick lunch, daven a bit, and visit social media. It really helps to walk out and clear your head a bit.
How long is their naptime? I have about 45 min.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:57 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
If they are all in cribs and basically sleeping can you not step out for a few minutes? That's what I do. I use the bathroom, prep and eat a quick lunch, daven a bit, and visit social media. It really helps to walk out and clear your head a bit.
How long is their naptime? I have about 45 min.

Leave a bunch of babies alone in the room? Doesn't sound too safe.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics