Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I'm a narcissist - AMA
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:42 am
Title says it all

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:43 am
Im a borderline. Let’s fight.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:43 am
How do you know? Never met a narcissist who knew they were one.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:44 am
How is it possible to be so sugary nice to some people and so horribly nasty to others?

I understand that people we love and spend more time with trigger us, it’s easier to be nice to strangers, but I see in narcissistic behaviors it’s way more intense.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:45 am
How do you know and how do you feel about it?

Success10

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:47 am
If you accidentially run over your neighbor's cat, who's fault is it?

Unigala

what exactly is a narcissist I feel like its a label thats thrown around but I dont know what it actually is?

amother
Cherry

what's the nastiest thing you've done to somebody else for your own gain?

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:51 am
Unigala wrote:
what exactly is a narcissist I feel like its a label thats thrown around but I dont know what it actually is?

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental health condition in which people have an unreasonably high sense of their own importance. They need and seek too much attention and want people to admire them. People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are easily upset by the slightest criticism.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:22 am
amother Clematis wrote:
Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental health condition in which people have an unreasonably high sense of their own importance. They need and seek too much attention and want people to admire them. People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are easily upset by the slightest criticism.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:25 am
amother Clematis wrote:

Not diagnosed. Only self. I have almost every trait on the list.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:27 am
amother OP wrote:

I don't think you are a narcissist then.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:28 am
amother OP wrote:

Interesting. It's not something most people are aware of. Majority of narcissists do not see themselves as having any of the traits. So if you know, are you actively working on fixing yourself?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:29 am
amother Clematis wrote:

Oh they’re out there… but most aren’t willing to do any work to change.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:30 am
If you are a narcissist tell us something really horrible you did to someone for your own advantage or just to watch them suffer and glee

amother
Hotpink

I commend your for your self awareness. It’s most important for people to know that it isn’t a choice. It’s more like a developmental arrest.

There are different type of narcissists. Some narcissists are very good people despite their limitations. My father was one of them and I loved him very much.

amother
OP

amother Ballota wrote:
How is it possible to be so sugary nice to some people and so horribly nasty to others?

I understand that people we love and spend more time with trigger us, it’s easier to be nice to strangers, but I see in narcissistic behaviors it’s way more intense.

Good question! My opinion is because I care about what other people think of me (even if I'll project the image that not), therefore I'll be nice. Also, if they trigger me, I could choose to shut myself away from them.

Otoh, with my husband let's say, I feel like the meanest wife! I'm verbally and emotionally abusive, I'm manipulative, and I take advantage of him.
This happens when he triggers me, but it is so not his fault. I had a crazy childhood, crazy triggers because of it, and he's so nice and normal. He learns each time but the triggers are endless.
I'm aware of what I'm doing wrong, but no idea how to change myself. I don't want to be this way, I just am.

PSA, don't suggest therapy, it isn't something my husband believes in and more importantly something we can afford.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:31 am
amother OP wrote:

Are your relationships problematic or did you just decide to diagnose yourself?most people don't just wake up and decide they're a narcissist.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:31 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:
I don't think you are a narcissist then.

Prove me wrong. I challenge you.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Good question! My opinion is because I care about what other people think of me (even if I'll project the image that not), therefore I'll be nice. Also, if they trigger me, I could choose to shut myself away from them.

Otoh, with my husband let's say, I feel like the meanest wife! I'm verbally and emotionally abusive, I'm manipulative, and I take advantage of him.
This happens when he triggers me, but it is so not his fault. I had a crazy childhood, crazy triggers because of it, and he's so nice and normal. He learns each time but the triggers are endless.
I'm aware of what I'm doing wrong, but no idea how to change myself. I don't want to be this way, I just am.

PSA, don't suggest therapy, it isn't something my husband believes in and more importantly something we can afford.

Reacting to trauma triggers is not narcissism. It's a different issue. You sound like you are describing cptsd
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics